Your favorite protein powders?

Hey all!
I've been perusing the forums looking for a thread specifically on protein powders, but I haven't had any luck. I'm trying to increase my protein while still maintaining a lower calorie intake for weight loss, so I've been considering investing in protein powder as a boost -- and I know quality goes a loooong way in taste and for recipes.

What's your favorite brand and flavor? From where do you stock up?
Since I'm looking at weight loss and wanting to avoid muscle loss, should I consider casein over whey supplements? Do you prefer whey or plant-based powders?

I'm doing some research on my own as well via The Googles, but I'd like to get some input from the MFP family to see what's worked for you all. :blush:

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Sadly I have yet to find one. Following this thread for ideas...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Trutein or Quest are good to me.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    I use isagenix. Best product I've found so far. I'm big on ingredients and clean eating, I'm also a certified personal trainer, I have a lot of experience with the use of different products out there, and have found this product line to support any stage of fitness, weight loss, healthy lifestyle, etc.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Oh and I super love quest bars!! Yum! And great ingredients
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Trutein or Quest are good to me.

Yep!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I've been perusing the forums looking for a thread specifically on protein powders, but I haven't had any luck.

Don't think you looked hard enough. There are many such threads and it's a regularly recurring topic, of which this is an example.

To answer your question, my favorite is Muscle Milk Cytosport in chocolate which can be purchased cheaply at Costco in 6# bags for just $40.

A forum favorite and independently highly rated powder is MyProtein. It's expensive unless you buy it on sale but they have frequent sales; just get on their mailing list.

I'm currently working on the 1st of 2 5kg (11#) bags of Stevia Chocolate that I bought on sale for around $75@ over a year ago. It's ok but it has less protein per scoop of Muscle Milk and I don't like its taste as much.

• SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    edited June 2017
    I use Fitmiss Delight. The vanilla chai is really good, but my favorite is the Cappuccino. I can throw a scoop into my iced coffee and it's really good IMHO. It has 16g of protein, 3g carbs and is only 90 calories a scoop. Like you, I wanted to keep my calories low, and my carbs low, but get in more protein. This is what worked best for me. :smile: They also have protein bars. The salted caramel is so good to me. Even my three year old likes them. I have to hide them from her so she won't eat them all before me. Hahah I usually get the best deal from bodybuilding.com and I really love purchasing from them. Amazon also carries it which is great with prime and 2 day shipping. If you want it even quicker, they carry it at Walmart too.
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    I vote Quest bars to go and IsoNatural for shakes...not an "amazing" taste but all natural ingredients, low fat, low carbs, high protein. I switched to it from Gold Standard when I was pregnant and haven't switched back. Casein is slow digesting, so you can drink it at night or whenever you feel hungry but don't want to eat. Whey is fast digesting and is consumed post workout.
  • olivialastie
    olivialastie Posts: 2 Member
    I use whey isolate vanilla flavored protein powder found at Walmart! It's actually super yummy and when blended with almond milk, tastes like a vanilla shake!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, in vanilla or any of the chocolate varieties.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Move4Abs wrote: »
    I vote Quest bars to go and IsoNatural for shakes...not an "amazing" taste but all natural ingredients, low fat, low carbs, high protein. I switched to it from Gold Standard when I was pregnant and haven't switched back. Casein is slow digesting, so you can drink it at night or whenever you feel hungry but don't want to eat. Whey is fast digesting and is consumed post workout.

Yes, that's what I've read about Casein. From what I can gather, it's used more to prevent muscle breakdown/loss, because it is so slow to digest, whereas the whey gives you a boost for muscle building. I haven't yet started any real circuit except some simple body weight strength exercises at home, since I'm trying to take baby steps in the right directions -- sooo, I thought casein may be my better bet at this point.
    Thanks!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Currently on X-Tone whey chocolate, 20g protein per 25g scoop serving. I like it made with oat milk.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    ive been using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard for years, it's not the cheapest though.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Isopure Whey Isolate and Isopure Dutch Chocolate
  • kellieinkc
    kellieinkc Posts: 34 Member
    Does whey protein tear anyone else's insides apart? Or just me?
  • brhaber123
    brhaber123 Posts: 10 Member
    kellieinkc wrote: »
    Does whey protein tear anyone else's insides apart? Or just me?

I have the same problem - I like 22 Days Plant Protein (Natural flavor) and it doesn't give me the stomach issues. Can't do whey protein at all.
  • kellieinkc
    kellieinkc Posts: 34 Member
    Does it taste anything like Vega Vanilla protein? Because that stuff was awful. :(
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Optimum Nutrition whey isolates. Has a good ingredient profile. The new rules of lifting guy recommends in his books and I trust him. Seems a lot of protein powders on the market have questionable ingredients. They have it at Costco.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    I recently fell in love with MRM's protein powders <3 They have no artificial sweeteners or flavors.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I really like the Harvey & Coco slinky shakes.