What would happen if we ate like wild animals?

Options
This may sound like a very odd question (bordering on the troll side of odd) but I am quite curious as to what would happen. So. To explain myself further:

You know how several wild animals (let's take lions, for example) gorge themselves on food when it's available then go for a few days without eating? What would happen if a human did this?

Like what would happen if I ate as much clean foods as possible in one sitting -- if I ate until I was stuffed to the absolute max; if I ate until I felt like I was going to throw up ... then didn't eat again until I felt hungry, even if a day or two passed by.

I don't know I think it would be a fun experiment. I kind of wonder what would happen though. I wonder if I could end up injuring myself somehow.

Okey doke, pointless musings over.

Replies

• GoCleanGoLean
    GoCleanGoLean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You and I must have different definitions of "fun".

:D:D:D Yeah ... my definition of fun is performing a variety of bizarre experiments just to see what would happen, lol.
  • GoCleanGoLean
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I think people are generally doing that now. Looking at the unprecedented availability of accessible, easy, delicious food and then looking at the rates of obesity in Western countries, there's a strong correllation. As compared to when food was scarce or not easily come by.

True, but what if instead of gorging on a crapton of junk food, we gorged on a crapton of real food?
  • GoCleanGoLean
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    So, like intermittent fasting, just a bit more extreme?

Pretty much, yeah!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Typically only carnivores eat like that, of course. Herbivores eat almost continually, at least when they can.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think people are generally doing that now. Looking at the unprecedented availability of accessible, easy, delicious food and then looking at the rates of obesity in Western countries, there's a strong correllation. As compared to when food was scarce or not easily come by.

True, but what if instead of gorging on a crapton of junk food, we gorged on a crapton of real food?

"real" food can be just as calorie dense as "junk" food... unless you think real food is kale and green beans. ;)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Would that be a metric crapton or an Imperial crapton?

Seriously, it would depend on how calorific the food was compared to your activity level, regardless of how "clean" you think it is. It can be all organic and artisnal and if it's still more calories than you burn you'll gain weight.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of debate on what "the original humans" (which depends a lot on time and place actually) ate and how. Humans are amazingly adaptable foodwise. We can survive healthily on a vegan diet or a meat-heavy diet like Mongolians or Inuit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a very odd question (bordering on the troll side of odd) but I am quite curious as to what would happen. So. To explain myself further:

You know how several wild animals (let's take lions, for example) gorge themselves on food when it's available then go for a few days without eating? What would happen if a human did this?

Like what would happen if I ate as much clean foods as possible in one sitting -- if I ate until I was stuffed to the absolute max; if I ate until I felt like I was going to throw up ... then didn't eat again until I felt hungry, even if a day or two passed by.

I don't know I think it would be a fun experiment. I kind of wonder what would happen though. I wonder if I could end up injuring myself somehow.

Okey doke, pointless musings over.

The simple answer is, if over the course of whatever time period you did this for, you ate more than you expended, you'd gain weight. If you ate less, you'd lose.
    My thoughts are that some people would do fine eating this way, others would struggle. Also critical to the situation would be eating nutrient dense foods. If you ate junk food, you'd likely get hungrier quicker and not have the required nutrition over the long term.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Based upon personal experience, I'd just be hungry again two hours later.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Most animals that eat this way do it out of necessity, not because it is preferential to their well being. If given an endless supply of available food, many animals will over eat. The diets of lions in captivity, to take your example, are carefully controlled. Just look at the obesity rates among domesticated pets like cats and dogs. When their owners do not properly control their diets, most will instinctively eat more food than they need.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    When I started feeding the feral cats in my backyard, they'd wolf it down. As they got used to the idea that it was ALWAYS going to be there in the morning, and that if it was finished, there'd often be more later in the day, they relaxed a bit. The most aggressive one stopped attacking any other cat that tried to get to the dish before he was finished. They started leaving over some for later in the day. And occasionally, if they didn't like a new treat, they'd actually... nudge it out of the bowl and ignore it. THAT was when I knew they weren't starving anymore!

(P.S. For the record, I've got three cats coming round, all of whom have been TNR'd before I ever met them.)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    you've obviously never seen me eat Domino's
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Not all wild animals do this. Different animals have different eating patterns.

Cats (including lions) are obligate carnivores, for example, and humans are not.

Lions eat their food raw (if you want to really imitate lions) and hunt for their food.

Lion groups have an organized hierarchy when it comes to the order in which they get to eat and who gets what.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not all wild animals do this. Different animals have different eating patterns.

Cats (including lions) are obligate carnivores, for example, and humans are not.

Lions eat their food raw (if you want to really imitate lions) and hunt for their food.

Lion groups have an organized hierarchy when it comes to the order in which they get to eat and who gets what.

We used to eat meat raw also. One of the idea's as to why we became so intelligent was the cooking process. Some argue its the consumption of meat that is the reason. Which if it was we were eating meats raw way before we were cooking.

"“Cooking is what makes the human diet ‘human,’ and the most logical explanation for the advances in brain and body size over our ape ancestors,” Wrangham says. “It’s hard to imagine the leap to Homo erectus without cooking’s nutritional benefits.”

While others have posited that meat-eating enabled the rise of Homo erectus some 1.8 million years ago, Wrangham says those theories don’t mesh with that species’ smaller jaws and teeth. Instead, he claims meat enabled the shift from australopithecines to Homo habilis — a species about the size of a chimp, but with a bigger brain — more than half a million years earlier."

From http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/06/invention-of-cooking-drove-evolution-of-the-human-species-new-book-argues/

@ OP We actually used to eat like that and some people around the world still do. I forget who it was but it was a tribe of people where they poison darted a monkey and would chase it for days before they got to eat.