Female: To Weight Lift or Not??

Options
Hey guys! I need some serious support, motivation, and guidance. I'm a 25 yr. old female, 5'5, currently 186lbs. My overall goal is to lose 40lbs. I'm fat...bottom line and I've become really insecure with my body image. I just graduated college so I can finally dedicate more time and effort to my eating habits and workout routine. With that being said I've been doing a lot of research and from what I discovered weight lifting would be best for me. I found a program on body building and I want to follow it however I don't know what I'm doing I just plan on diving straight into it. Any advice for weight lifting? Perhaps your thoughts on this specific program? Eating habits? All that good stuff ya know! Also are there any females that used to be in the same bracket as me? BTW I'm "attempting" to follow MFP 1200 cal per day to lose 2 lbs a week.

Here's the link to the "cutting" weight lifting program:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-cutting-program.html

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    All for weight lifting...wouldn't really go with that program though. You would be much better served doing a full body 3x a week program. Not a fan of splits like that one for beginners. People here like to push starting strength, also check out strong curves.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The plan looks solid enough for a beginner, however the diet is so "bro". Use a calculator like Scooby to find your calories for weight loss. Eat the foods you like, weigh them, log them and stick to your goals.

ETA: 2 pounds a week is a bit excessive given your stats. Change to 0.5-1 pound a week. You will be more likely to stay on track because it isn't as restrictive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    All for weight lifting...wouldn't really go with that program though. You would be much better served doing a full body 3x a week program. Not a fan of splits like that one for beginners. People here like to push starting strength, also check out strong curves.

I'm with this...I'm really not partial to splits in general, but particularly not for beginners.
  • Ayesha0624
    Ayesha0624 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Will definitely look in strong curves! Do you have any full body workouts to recommend?

• Ayesha0624
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    The plan looks solid enough for a beginner, however the diet is so "bro". Use a calculator like Scooby to find your calories for weight loss. Eat the foods you like, weigh them, log them and stick to your goals.

ETA: 2 pounds a week is a bit excessive given your stats. Change to 0.5-1 pound a week. You will be more likely to stay on track because it isn't as restrictive.

I do feel restricted on 1200 cal! Will lower it to 1 lb and try that for awhile
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Here's a great summary an MFP alum put together....

Pick one that you think you can stick to. I personally like Stronglifts, as its just 3 exercises 3 times a week. Also has a good free app.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I think the program looks good. As others said, 1200 calories sounds low - I wouldn't feel satisfied. Everyone is different. I have followed programs from body building site and have seen great results with them. In my experience you are more apt to stick with something you enjoy and have greater long term results. Find a program or activity you enjoy. Good luck.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Always lift. Eat at an approximate 500 calorie deficit and get in the gym! You'll never regret it.

A second (or third?) vote for Stronglifts. It's simple, only 5 lifts to learn. You can download the app at stronglifts.com. The app will track everything for you so you don't have to even think about it, just get in and do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ayesha0624 wrote: »

Will definitely look in strong curves! Do you have any full body workouts to recommend?

Strong Curves is a book that has three full body programs, each 12 weeks long, with slight changes in exercise selection every four weeks. I recommend it too.
  • amd8227
    amd8227 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YES! I've lost 20+ inches in 14 weeks of lifting. It's a game changer. Wish I would've done this years ago.
    Check out Thinner, Leaner, Stronger
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting has been the best thing for my self image and overall attitude. Feeling strong in the gym makes you feel strong in life.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

That would put her at 40-80 weeks dieting..... If she can comfortably lose 40lbs without getting under 18% bf, there's no reason she couldn't lose 20-25 pounds in the first 10-12 weeks..... No reason to extend a calorie deficit for an extended amount of time for no reason.....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 worked for me just starting out. Strong curves is a great program, but has a lot more "stuff" to it and can be a little overwhelming if you aren't familiar with all the moves. I really like the simplicity of stronglifts for beginners.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift! Starting out I did one of those BB programs. The one I did was pretty long but I learned a lot about different exercises. Towards the end knew what most of them were and didn't have to look them up on line. I agree about the diet side of it. Much better to get your numbers online (I use IIFYM.COM) and track with MFP. Good luck!
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, I splurged and paid for four sessions with a trainer. He assessed me and my goals. Then he designed an exercise regimen for me to follow and guidelines to follow for my diet. I am now addicted to lifting and at 50 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • Ayesha0624
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »

That would put her at 40-80 weeks dieting..... If she can comfortably lose 40lbs without getting under 18% bf, there's no reason she couldn't lose 20-25 pounds in the first 10-12 weeks..... No reason to extend a calorie deficit for an extended amount of time for no reason.....

So will it be better to keep at a 2lb loss per week?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

But at such a low calorie limit, not only is that extremely hard maintain but lifting weights isn't going to be very productive.

I recommend stronglifts as well. 3 times a week, 5 lifts to learn.

I also recommend figuring out your macros and eating food you like. I could not even eat that meal plan for 1 day. Nothing on there is very favorable and women especially need fats in our diet for hormonal reasons (also, along with fiber it helps in the bathroom department).
  • Ayesha0624
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 worked for me just starting out. Strong curves is a great program, but has a lot more "stuff" to it and can be a little overwhelming if you aren't familiar with all the moves. I really like the simplicity of stronglifts for beginners.

How long were you on 5x5 before you moved on?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Ayesha0624 wrote: »

So will it be better to keep at a 2lb loss per week?

That would be my professional opinion, that you could sustain 2lbs a week at the start. I am also not saying that 1200 calories is the number of calories you need to intake to sustain 2lbs a week. If you are losing 2lbs a week, you're going to be hungry, you're going to feel a little tired. You may very well be able to lose 2lbs per week at 1600 calories. I would suggest, if 1200 calories seems too low to mentally stay with it, then increase it, see what happens to your weight at 1400 calories, maybe 1200 is right around where you need to be at to lose 2lbs per week and MFP is accurate, but it is also very possible that you have more lean mass than mfp thinks and you could be losing 2lbs per week at 1600 calories and the reason 1200 calories seems so low, is because it's really more like 3lbs per week.

Anyways, I would test it out, track your weight, track the mirror progress, and any other measurements you're interested in, and make adjustments accordingly.

I also think that if 2lbs per week is going to make you quit in 6 weeks and put on the 12 pounds again, you're better off sticking to a slower weight loss. But I do believe 2lbs per week for you could very well be doable.