Two-a-Days

Options
Can anyone give me advice on how to start doing Two-a-days? Maybe some information on pros and cons. Also how do I incorporate this into my daily calorie intake?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What is you current routine and what are your goals?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me advice on how to start doing Two-a-days? Maybe some information on pros and cons. Also how do I incorporate this into my daily calorie intake?

why??
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you are an elite athlete or competitive bodybuilder there is no reason to do this.

If you want to lose weight quicker, consider being more active (walking) or eating less.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me advice on how to start doing Two-a-days?
    You start doing them. Probably an amount of ramping up volume/frequency progressively would be sensible.
    (Whether two a day training is actually sensible, desirable or even necessary for you - only you know.)

Maybe some information on pros and cons.
    Depends on your goals, your schedule, your workouts and your capabilities.
    All of that is unknown....

Also how do I incorporate this into my daily calorie intake?
    You log your exercise, estimate the calorie burn, you eat those calories in whatever eating pattern suits you.
    What your exercise is will determine the most suitable way of estimating those calorie needs

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'll start with the pros & cons (as I see them) the main pro is that it's easier for many people to incorporate two shorter workouts into their schedule and it allows you a period of recovery between workouts the main downside I can think of is that it's also possible to try to do too much too soon.......what and how much you do is premised on what your current fitness level is and what your goals are.

I regularly do two-a-days as part of my triathlon training, for example yesterday morning I was in the pool & last night on the bike. This morning was a 10km run & this evening I'll be doing strength in the gym. You'll notice however that I'm alternating between high impact & low impact days, even though I've been running for over a decade allowing sufficient recovery time is essential to staying injury free.

As far as recording them in MFP I'm a little bit lazy, my Garmin Connect account automatically enters my runs, swims & bike rides. For you it would just be a matter of entering the two workouts.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I work out twice because I don't have time to do one long workout. I'll do a cardio DVD in the morning, lift in the evening.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Why is it that you want to do two-a-days? I will do them occasionally if I simply can't fit my entire work out into my schedule, but to me they are a really inefficient use of my time. When I consider the amount of time it takes me to get ready, travel (if it applies), warm up, cool down, shower, etc, I would rather just get it all done at once.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on what you mean. I am not really an athlete in any serious way, but I do often exercise twice in a day.

I have karate on M/W. But I know that karate class is sometimes an intense cardio workout (eg if we are doing free sparring or drilling basics), but sometimes not--eg we are learning a new kata. and it is never a strength workout. So monday/Wed, I get up a little earlier, go on fitness blender, and do one of their strength/HIIT workouts.

On Tuesday after work, I run with a friend. If I think i'll have time after running with her, I just do some strength training after running. If not, again, i get up a little earlier, and do some weights/strength training. So technically, a two-a-day, but not in the classic sense.

if you mean two a days in the sense of the elite athlete who is doing 2 intense practices a day, then I agree with a lot of posters, that you need to be cautious about injury, burn out, etc. if you can afford it, hiring a trainer might be helpful.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Even elite athletes aren't training all out twice a day.

If you are doing it to be able to workout twice a day or to be able to split up cardio and weight training because you want to, then do it, just listen to your body and if after two days you feel you need a break, then take a break or slow it down.

Theres no real need to do it if you are a normal person just trying to lose some weight, doing it once a day is fine. There is a benefit to working out twice a day and elevating your heart rate two separate times during the day, but the benefits do not out weigh the risk of injury if you are not properly training and eating appropriately. I sometimes enjoy going twice to get that feeling of euphoria after working out and if I have time and feel like it, I go. I don't require myself to get in twice everyday unless I am specifically doing a contest prep, and even then it is not an all out effort both sessions, and generally the sessions last shorter because towards the end of the second session, it can be tough to keep the intensity where it needs to be.

So all that to say, if you are doing it for the enjoyment, possible benefits in weight loss and willing to take it easy on days where you just don't feel up for it, I think it can be good.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I normally do a couple of two-a-days a week to fit in all my workouts, but I make sure they're very different workouts (for example, a run or elliptical in the morning, then strength training or yoga class in the evening). I don't normally plan for two-a-days, but they happen due to work or social schedule causing me to miss a planned workout. Make sure you account for extra calories you need (but don't over do it!), and get plenty of sleep.

I will say, you will be showering a LOT!!
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I guess I can say i do two a days. Since i have an office job, on my lunch break I walk 2 miles and after work, I do a hardcore exercise. I would recommend doing a light workout and a hard workout if you want to do two a days. I choose to do this because i sit at an desk all day and feel that the walk will prevent "secretary booty."
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to do two-a-days it's best for one of the workouts to be lighter. When I decide to do them (rarely) one of my workouts is hardcore and the other one is very light, like jogging for 30 minutes or maybe some floor exercises or yoga. The important thing is to listen to your body and don't overwork yourself
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do two workouts four times a week but mostly because the classes I go to are only 45 minutes when they used to be an hour. I get a half hour in between classes. So I'll go to a 45 minute spin class then 30 minutes later a hiit class for 45 minutes. I've always had a hard time getting my metabolism ramped up and I had a doctor tell me I need to work out longer to burn enough calories to lose weight.