Replies

• samasam799
    samasam799 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I been loving avocado and egg toast is filling for me
  • Livipoppers
    Livipoppers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make Zuppa Toscana at home, I make a huge batch that makes about 20 servings, and it works out to be 273 calories per serving.

Sounds lovely, could you copy and paste the ingredients in please? o:)

Yes!
    * 8 Hot Itailian Sausage Links crumbled
    * 3 32 oz chicken broth (reduced sodium or not your choice)
    * 8 oz of water (this is also optional, I normally water down the chicken broth a little to make more)
    * 6 potatoes cut into small cubes
    * 1 large onion diced
    * 2 cloves garlic
    * 2 cups heavy cream
    * 1 large kale bunch roughly chopped
    * 4 strips bacon (this is optional you can also use bacon bits, or turkey bacon)

Directions:
    Crumble and cook sausage in large soup pot. Once cooked add onion, and garlic, cook on medium until onion is soft, add the potatoes. Add the water and chicken broth and boil on high until potatoes are cooked through. Once potatoes are done, remove from heat, add heavy cream and your kale! If you chose to add bacon, cook it separately and add it with the kale at the end. I will also sometimes add some cheese to the top or serve with bread depending on my calorie allowance.

This recipe makes about 20 servings (a pretty big bowl) obviously feel free to scale it down if you only want to make a small amount.

This sounds insanely good, I think this is going to be the next recipe I try! ❤️ Thanks for sharing!
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    At the moment it would have to be my Asian dumpling & noodle soup. I make it regularly and it's very filling. About 400-500 cal I think. Asian clear soups are often pretty healthy. I just googled a recipe!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Big salad

-Whole bag romaine
    - zucchini chopped and roasted in oven
    - broccoli chopped and roasted in oven
    - honey dijon walden farms dressing
    - hot sauce
    - mustard
    - banana peppers
    - tomatoes
    - radishes
    - grilled chicken on top
    - onion powder, italian seasoning, garlic powder

Depending on weights of eat <200 calories and SUPER filling and delicious.

Basically this but with 100 or so calories of protein. Canned tuna, grilled chicken, etc.
  • JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Can of good tuna, drained - usually Wild Planet is closer to filet chunks, unlike a Bumblebee which is something closer to tuna mush.
    Two to three hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped.
    Plain Greek yogurt, about 40 grams.
    Dash lemon juice.
    Salt and pepper.
    Sometimes smoked paprika.
    Sometimes onions.
    Sometimes celery.
    Sometimes craisins.
    Sometimes diced apple.
    Sometimes swap the tuna for leftover turkey or chicken.
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am not huge on salads and bulk vegetables. Banza Chickpea pasta with sauteed portobello mushrooms and 1/2 tablespoon of grass fed butter. Good amount of protein and a TON a fiber. Also, Mestemacher pumpernickel rye sandwiches with pastrami beef.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nachos: about 400 cal.
    16 Baked scoops (scattered with...)
    1 oz. shredded low fat mozz
    (Nuke 1 min. to make the cheese chewy and satisfying, then artfully dollop over the top...)
    1/4 cup homemade refries (mixed with...)
    Salsa ( and warmed. Top this with...)
    2 cups shredded lettuce or chopped up leftover salad and
    1/2 chopped tomato.

You can add some shredded chicken or ground beef for not too many more calories, and this is one of those places where Fage 0% is actually a good stand in for sour cream.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Simple, but delicious: canned tuna or salmon + salsa + guacamole.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I make Zuppa Toscana at home, I make a huge batch that makes about 20 servings, and it works out to be 273 calories per serving.

Sounds lovely, could you copy and paste the ingredients in please? o:)

Yes!
    * 8 Hot Itailian Sausage Links crumbled
    * 3 32 oz chicken broth (reduced sodium or not your choice)
    * 8 oz of water (this is also optional, I normally water down the chicken broth a little to make more)
    * 6 potatoes cut into small cubes
    * 1 large onion diced
    * 2 cloves garlic
    * 2 cups heavy cream
    * 1 large kale bunch roughly chopped
    * 4 strips bacon (this is optional you can also use bacon bits, or turkey bacon)

Directions:
    Crumble and cook sausage in large soup pot. Once cooked add onion, and garlic, cook on medium until onion is soft, add the potatoes. Add the water and chicken broth and boil on high until potatoes are cooked through. Once potatoes are done, remove from heat, add heavy cream and your kale! If you chose to add bacon, cook it separately and add it with the kale at the end. I will also sometimes add some cheese to the top or serve with bread depending on my calorie allowance.

This recipe makes about 20 servings (a pretty big bowl) obviously feel free to scale it down if you only want to make a small amount.

This sounds insanely good, I think this is going to be the next recipe I try! ❤️ Thanks for sharing!

Let me know if you try it!! its on my list for next week!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Black bean soup is one of my regular lunches. The base recipe is around 140 cal/serving, with loads of fiber. To make a full meal, I'll top it with salsa and sour cream, maybe a few tortilla chips, and/or a bit of cheese.
    http://www.apinchofhealthy.com/instant-pot-black-bean-soup/
    As I made it:p2pdepxqr1v0.jpg

I love black bean soup, and this sounds like a great easy recipe, but.... did I read that right, 6g of chicken? That's like the size of chocolate chip? Was that a stand in for bouillon?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    katgrz wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of new ideas of for filling meals -- what is your favorite and how many calories total?

Soup with a lot of fiber (beans, peas, etc) - this can be very filling while still only being 200-300 calories.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Grilled steak and veg always does it for me.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ratatoullie:

zucchini
    tomatoes
    eggplant
    onion
    garlic
    smoked sausage (go with turkey for lowest calories)
    ground black pepper

dice and salt eggplant, set aside to let the salt do it's magic.
    add 1t olive oil to pot, add minced garlic and let cook until fragrant. keep an eye on it as garlic burns easily. Add onions, zucchini, and tomatoes. mix.
    Rinse off eggplant and toss in the pot. Stir it all together.
    Dice the sausage and add to the pot. Add pepper to taste. I don't recommend salting at this stage, as the sausage is fairly high in sodium and there will be salt left on the eggplant.
    Cover and let it simmer/cook for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to help distribute/encourage the tomato to give up the juice.
    When done, taste and add salt if needed.

Serve and enjoy. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if you're feeling fancy.

Using turkey sausage, it usually works out to be around 13 calories per ounce (weight). So a big bowl is usually less than 300 calories.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato hash:

diced sweet potato
    diced onion
    diced apple
    chicken sausage

Sautee the veggies in bacon fat (or butter, but why?) until the onion starts to soften. Add in the sausage, brown it up, then reduce heat and cover, so the sweet potato can soften.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle a bit of maple syrup over the whole thing and toss. Serve hot. You can even sprinkle a little parmesan on the top to really make the flavors pop.

OMNOMNOM.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a favorite, but there is a nice low-cal salad I've been eating recently and I don't typically even like salad.

2-3 c. mixed greens
    1 oz. goat cheese crumbles
    1/2 oz. Trader Joe's spicy candied pecans
    60-70g fresh blackberries (sub in any equivalent fresh fruit)
    either 1 serving of sardines or pulled chicken (100-150 cal's worth)
    1 Tbs white balsamic vinegar (I use honey-ginger or peach-ginger)

Comes out to ~350 cals. I sometimes add 1/2 serving of dried cherries for added chew, and that tacks on another 50 cals.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Shrimp n grits with kale n tomatoes

Sautee shrimp, garlic and diced onion in a little olive oil and Old Bay seasoning until done. Make grits (I don't use oil, milk, or butter, just water). Sautee kale and cherry tomatoes until soft. Season as desired. Serve shrimp on grits with veggies on the side.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato hash:

diced sweet potato
    diced onion
    diced apple
    chicken sausage

Sautee the veggies in bacon fat (or butter, but why?) until the onion starts to soften. Add in the sausage, brown it up, then reduce heat and cover, so the sweet potato can soften.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle a bit of maple syrup over the whole thing and toss. Serve hot. You can even sprinkle a little parmesan on the top to really make the flavors pop.

OMNOMNOM.

Sounds lovely, I make this but never thought to add apple before.

Heck chicken sausages work well in this for anyone in the UK.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato hash:

diced sweet potato
    diced onion
    diced apple
    chicken sausage

OMNOMNOM.

Sounds lovely, I make this but never thought to add apple before.

Heck chicken sausages work well in this for anyone in the UK.

Do you pre boil the sweet potato first?