Water or Gatoraid?

Options

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The electrolytes are nice but I hate the fake sugars in G2. Today I mixed my Gatorade with water 1/2 and 1/2. Little pick me up for the long bike ride but not enough calories to weigh me down.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If my workout is cardio based just water. If I weight train I drink a recovery drink called Dark Matter.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like G2 and Gatorade, but only drink them if I'm doing a race or a major major workout. I usually dilute them with water, too. They taste too sweet anymore.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was working out pretty heavily in the gym primarily cardio. I was spending 3-4 hrs a day and sweating like mad all the time. After about a month of this I had no energy and could barely move. I was drinking plenty of water, literally 1-2 gallons a day. My neighbor a nurse noticed and told me I had to get some Gatorade in me. Once I started getting it into me I was much better, but for about a week there I could barely move.

So now I make sure even if I'm watering down the G2 I do it to make sure I get some extra electrolytes in me. Best of luck.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    water. the only time I drink gatoraid is during endurance activities when I need to keep my lytes in check!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Water, coconut water, or milk....it all depends on the workout, intensity, and time of day.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    Water. I can't stand flavored water and most gatorade flavors. I drink water ALL the time anyway so now I drink more!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    And one additional thing I want to say about this topic, is that people love to bash gatorade for its sugar and salt. I'm not saying anyone here did, but I do hear it all of the time.

I guess that's gatorade's fault for marketing it to people who don't really need it and then those people discovering that it doesn't suit their needs.

But the sugar, salt and other electrolytes are all important for a distance runner. Gatorade has its uses.

Your body uses the simple sugars for instant energy. This can help prevent the wall.

But just like any other energy source, if you don't use it up, it gets stored on you. But, in a distance runner, this gets used up.

The salt helps prevent hyponatremia, which can have all sorts of nasty side effects, including seizures and death.
    However, the average person does not need to worry about those things on a regular basis.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Water, coconut water, or milk....it all depends on the workout, intensity, and time of day.

I would like to try coconut water. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Ummm... low fat chocolate milk after a rough workout...... or a protein drink (Jay Robb). Otherwise it's water, water, water.
    I agree with pp about long distance workouts, or working out for many hours- you need something. If you are working out for an hour or less then water or a small glass of low fat chocolate milk (low sugar, too. )
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Protein shake will not hydrate you! (well it will a little but not as effective as either water or gatorade/powerade/etc)

According to the experts, after one hour of intense exercise you will need more then water to replace the minerals lost through sweat, this is when the drinks above come in handy and will actually work better to replace your lost minerals.

Hope it helps.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Water
  • micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The general rule is over 60 minutes and then you might want to consider a gator-aide, under that, water is fine.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I do water or Poweraid zero (no calories or sugar and gives you the other stuff) Very good
  • lonelytylenol
    Options
    The general rule is over 60 minutes and then you might want to consider a gator-aide, under that, water is fine.

That's right!
    Water: 2-3 hrs before exercise with 2-3 cups
    Coconut water: contains some electrolytes (potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium)
    Gatorade: easily digestible carbohydrates, electrolytes, good for workouts that are intense or more than 60 minutes

POST workout
    Juice (antioxidants to counter free radicals produced during strenuous exercise)
    Milk: for workouts >1hr. contains easily digestible carbohydrates to replenish glycogen stores. protein & electrolytes)
  • boof1
    boof1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As others have said predominantly water, but when playing soccer, long ride etc, then Endura I have found is better than gatorade etc.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question as I sit here with a bottle of gatorade after an hour long bike ride! Now I know to go look for propel zero or coconut water! Thanks!
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    Water. Unless you're a 300lb Florida gator then use their original gatorade (saltwater and a pinch of sugar.)
    Resistance workouts require protein afterwards.
    Gatorade is flat soda. Have you seen the young children that drink it these days???
    Shameful.
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Okay....so it is water, water and more water for me with a protien shake if I feel a weak!

Thanks so much for all of your sage advice!!
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was working out pretty heavily in the gym primarily cardio. I was spending 3-4 hrs a day and sweating like mad all the time. After about a month of this I had no energy and could barely move. I was drinking plenty of water, literally 1-2 gallons a day. My neighbor a nurse noticed and told me I had to get some Gatorade in me. Once I started getting it into me I was much better, but for about a week there I could barely move.

So now I make sure even if I'm watering down the G2 I do it to make sure I get some extra electrolytes in me. Best of luck.

Wow. I was sick all last week and I was drinking a gallon of water a day as well. When I went to the doctor due to being weak and nausea had set in with cravings for sodium my doctor told me that after my workouts I should be drinking gatorade. Doc told me my electrolytes were being depleted and the sodium that my body needed to function was being flushed away by drinking too much water. I started drinking the G2 after my workouts and I feel better. So even too much of a good thing can be bad:drinker: