Need more calcium not a fan of milk !

Need to up my calcium but don't want to eat cheese hate cream milk and at a push I'll eat dairylea don't want to take supplements want natural

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Many almond/cashew/coconut milk type products have added calcium. You get more per serving than with dairy milk. I don't know if you consider that a supplement, but it really doesn't make a difference.
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    You can make your own calcium "supplement" powder with dried and crushed egg shells. No calories, cheap and plenty natural.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    sardines with bones
    salmon with bones
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Kale, Great Northern beans, Soybeans, Tahini, Figs.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Spinach
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Green, leafy vegetables
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    A quick Google search produced this website.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Not a fan of animal milk, so I just get mine from small bits of fancy cheese and almond milk (can't do soy milk). Spinach is my other go to.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    How can someone hate cheese? Okay - point granted. Not everyone likes cheese. I like anazmann's link above. Have to eat a lot of veggies to up your calcium, but they're mostly low cal and you can eat a lot without calorie shock an.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited June 2017
    Plug your nose if you have to & chug some milk daily! I'm also not a milk fan & hate those huge pills, but chocolate milk isn't so bad. In fact those are tasting too sweet to me so I'm planning to go back to "plug & chug" soon
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Plug your nose if you have to & chug some milk daily! I'm also not a milk fan & hate those huge pills, but chocolate milk isn't so bad. In fact those are tasting too sweet to me so I'm planning to go back to "plug & chug" soon

this is horrible advice and very unnecessary to do if you hate milk that much. You realize there are many different ways to get calcium? Many listed right here on this same thread.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    I take chewy calcium supplements. Bought them from Walgreens, they don't taste bad, and I don't have to drink milk :)
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Second the green, leafy vegetables post above.
  • canihelpumate2
    canihelpumate2 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for replying guys I found this very helpful x
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    any dark leafy green
  • masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Its for the best you dont like milk. Humans were never designed to drink another mammals milk, especially into adulthood.

Great sources of calcium are any leafy greens. Some examples kale, spinach, broccoli, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, Swiss chard. There is a great deal of calcium in non dairy milks and if they are organic milks its naturally occurring calcium. There are so many more options. Do a quick google search for more.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    masaku_88 wrote: »
    Its for the best you dont like milk. Humans were never designed to drink another mammals milk, especially into adulthood.

Great sources of calcium are any leafy greens. Some examples kale, spinach, broccoli, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, Swiss chard. There is a great deal of calcium in non dairy milks and if they are organic milks its naturally occurring calcium. There are so many more options. Do a quick google search for more.

It's unclear that humans were designed by anyone at all, so statements like that don't make sense to me.

I'm confused by the statement that the calcium in organic non-dairy milks is naturally occurring. I've purchased both organic and non-organic plant milks -- all the organic ones I have seen are fortified with calcium. What is the difference with organic plant milks that the underlying plants calcium that non-organic plants lack?