Is 1000 calories a day okay as a temporary goal for someone really short (5'0")?

Options
I'm 5'0" and about 147 lbs. I am being a bridesmaid in a sibling's wedding in 10 weeks and would really like to lose at least 15 lbs by then (20 would make me really happy, but I'm trying not to set myself up for too much disappointment). After then, I'm fine with taking things a bit more slowly to reach my ultimate goal of 105 to 110 lbs. I just don't want there to be a permanent record of me being huge in family photo albums.

I've been eating about 1000 calories a day, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. Before, I was having issues keeping below even 1400, so I decided to try having a small breakfast at about 200 calories or skipping it all together, which is working nicely for the most part but now my calories seem to wind up being a little "too" low. I haven't found the happy medium yet, though I honestly don't feel like I'm starving myself or anything at all.

Today, I had a Luna bar (190 calories) for breakfast, some coffee with sugar-free creamer (25 calories) a little later, then a 290-calorie frozen burrito for lunch. For dinner, I'm planning on having a 100-gram piece of chicken breast (165 calories) with a serving of zucchini pasta (160 calories). Since that puts me at 830 calories, I figure I'll have some oatmeal or fruit as a snack before bed. Is it safe to keep up this caloric intake for another 10 weeks given my height?

I'm not really exercising right now besides some light arm exercises because I work so much, but I'm going to see if I can start getting up earlier to fit in an hour-ish walk each morning. If I do that, I imagine I'll have to add another 150 or so calories to my breakfast so I won't feel lightheaded while walking in the heat.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    2plebeian wrote: »
    Alright. So, I'd suggest you stay at around 1200 at least - really, as a minimum. Try to stuff yourself with leafy greens. About 100 grams of steamed broccoli will be about 25 kcal. Eat 400 grams. It's 100 kcal. I'm not kidding - yeah, you might feel a bit gassy.... but trust me, you'll be full all the time. Eat plenty of chicken or turkey. I simply boil chicken breast (109 kcal per 100 gr), about 300 gr (330 kcal). Pull it apart after 40 minutes of cooking in a 7 kcal broth cube. Put it together with the broccoli and have some sweet potato (<100 kcal per 100 gr) - about 100 gr. Just grill it in a pan with tiny bit of oil, add some salt, pepper and paprika powder. You'll have a 430-450 (with some hot sauce) kcal dinner, which is about 800 grams of food - almost 2 lbs of food. Figure out your diet like this and eat 3 of these big *kitten* meals a day. Get yourself up to 1200 at least to provide your body with the nutrients it needs. And trust me, you won't be starving at all like this. Truth be told, exercise is a catalyst for weight loss, so a diet will help, but combining it with some heavy exercise (particularly lifting weights) will really get you started. If it's around that time of the month or so, don't be discouraged. Hormones and water retention can truly mess with a woman's head as the weight can easily go up and down 2-3 lbs a day. Ultimately it's about how you feel. It's good to have a goal, but don't starve yourself. If you find your diet and lifestyle with fitness to be satiating, it's so much easier to stick with than when you try and go on a crash diet for extreme weight loss.

weight is lost in a deficit. exercise is not needed but its good for the body.and weight can fluctuate more than 2-3lbs in a day.what makes one full will not make another full.same with number of meals some do 3 a day.some will do 1, its all personal preference.lifting heavy weights and getting enough protein is needed to prevent lean mass loss
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the less you have to lose the slower its going to be as well.it sucks but thats how it is. 1.5-2 lbs a week may be too aggressive for you. try .5-1 lb a week and go from there.
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing for another few weeks and then see how I feel. I'll add in a multivitamin to make sure I'm not missing any vital nutrition.
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I dunno if it's ok, but that's what I'm doing too. 5', started at 145 (lost 9 pounds so far in 4 weeks), eating 1000 - 1200 depending on how much walking I can get in, targeting 1.5lbs / week. My timeline is 10 weeks as well (I have some other life stuff I need to focus on after), so I figure my metabolism won't be affected too much in such a short period of time. I'll be going to maintenance after. Even just the 9 pounds I've lost so far has made so much impact on my appearance!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet tall. This would not be OK for me. I would be cranky, tired, and thinking about food the entire day. The only time I would eat such a little amount is if I had continuous projectile vomit.

You are most likely missing vital nutrients if you eat such a low amount of calories. In the long term you can damage your body. The less serious damage would be hair loss, brittle nails, feeling cold, loss of period, loss of bone density.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Are you able to fit at least 60 grams of fat and 90 grams of protein into your 1000 calories? If not, it's too low.

Grams of fat calculated by her weight * 0.4 g/pound. Grams of protein calculated by her weight * 0.6 g/pound. Both should be treated as minimum targets.
  • 2plebeian
    2plebeian Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    limex wrote: »
    I dunno if it's ok, but that's what I'm doing too. 5', started at 145 (lost 9 pounds so far in 4 weeks), eating 1000 - 1200 depending on how much walking I can get in, targeting 1.5lbs / week. My timeline is 10 weeks as well (I have some other life stuff I need to focus on after), so I figure my metabolism won't be affected too much in such a short period of time. I'll be going to maintenance after. Even just the 9 pounds I've lost so far has made so much impact on my appearance!

Well, good that it's working for you.

I think we as a species collectively have to start understanding our diet and the acvitity levels of our lifestyle a bit better, in order to pretty much make these kinds of forums obsolete. It's kind of crazy that some of us are so confined in their sedentary lifestyle because of work &c. that they can't even have a steady 2000 kcal a day because there's not enough movement. :(

About your metabolism: if you stay in a deficit for long enough, it'll slow down a bit, as it always does with weight loss. But it won't truly damage your metabolism. Long term studies of people on 1500 kcal each day (measured out by scientists, not the people themselves...) came to the conclusion that all these folks lost massive amounts of body fat in 6 months time, some (men) going from 20 to around 5% body fat. Yet, despite their metabolism slowing down a bit, it wasn't in any way damaged.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Alright. So, I'd suggest you stay at around 1200 at least - really, as a minimum. Try to stuff yourself with leafy greens. About 100 grams of steamed broccoli will be about 25 kcal. Eat 400 grams. It's 100 kcal. I'm not kidding - yeah, you might feel a bit gassy.... but trust me, you'll be full all the time. Eat plenty of chicken or turkey. I simply boil chicken breast (109 kcal per 100 gr), about 300 gr (330 kcal). Pull it apart after 40 minutes of cooking in a 7 kcal broth cube. Put it together with the broccoli and have some sweet potato (<100 kcal per 100 gr) - about 100 gr. Just grill it in a pan with tiny bit of oil, add some salt, pepper and paprika powder. You'll have a 430-450 (with some hot sauce) kcal dinner, which is about 800 grams of food - almost 2 lbs of food. Figure out your diet like this and eat 3 of these big *kitten* meals a day. Get yourself up to 1200 at least to provide your body with the nutrients it needs. And trust me, you won't be starving at all like this. Truth be told, exercise is a catalyst for weight loss, so a diet will help, but combining it with some heavy exercise (particularly lifting weights) will really get you started. If it's around that time of the month or so, don't be discouraged. Hormones and water retention can truly mess with a woman's head as the weight can easily go up and down 2-3 lbs a day. Ultimately it's about how you feel. It's good to have a goal, but don't starve yourself. If you find your diet and lifestyle with fitness to be satiating, it's so much easier to stick with than when you try and go on a crash diet for extreme weight loss.

I'd be starving on that little fat, not to mention bored.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Short bouts of slightly faster weight loss for a short period of time (10 weeks in this case) are okay, but you need to ask yourself, are the extra 3-5 pounds worth it? Do you believe that's going to make a big difference? I wouldn't go for it myself because if you aren't already lean 3-5 pounds make little visual difference and are not worth the extra hunger. You may feel differently though, and in this case make sure to pay extra attention to the quality of your food and may even want to supplement with a multivitamin. The last thing you want is to look ill (or worse, be ill) on your sibling's wedding.
  • 2plebeian
    2plebeian Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I'd be starving on that little fat, not to mention bored.

I personally balance out fat by having a big bowl of Greek yogurt in the morning (with oatmeal, protein powder and blueberries). And when I'm done with work, I usually have some icecream or chocolate as a snack.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    weight loss is also not linear so some weeks you may lose and others you may not, or the scale may go up for many reasons. point is to lose weight in a safe manner. if you dont lose 15 lbs what then? just lose what you can safely and go from there. there is always shapewear
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Eat healthy and take supplements to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition. Don't do too much exercise, and if you do, eat a bit more. I'm much taller than you and ate 1,000 calories a day for months. I lost weight fast. I was fine. Health went up in every way. Don't listen to people on here who don't know *kitten* and think you'll LITERALLY DIEEE if you eat 1 single calorie below 1200.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    You'll be fine. Eat healthy and take supplements to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition. Don't do too much exercise, and if you do, eat a bit more. I'm much taller than you and ate 1,000 calories a day for months. I lost weight fast. I was fine. Health went up in every way. Don't listen to people on here who don't know *kitten* and think you'll LITERALLY DIEEE if you eat 1 single calorie below 1200.

a day here and there is fine but not all the time. health issues can crop up over time eating like this,nobody said you would die but you can suffer malnutrition and other health issues. just because you didnt doesnt mean its not possible for others. and fat weight loss can lead to gall stones,hair loss,and other issues.
  • suhashmi
    suhashmi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day are fine especially because you are 5 feet . I'm 5 feet and 5 inches and once had to go on a 1000 calories a day because otherwise my weight would decrease anymore because I was very close to my ideal weight
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 120 lbs. I've been eating around 1100 cal in order to lose weight. My maintenance is around 1300. I'm just learning that I eat to not be hungry instead of eating to get full and it's not too bad. That said, if it's bedtime and I'm so hungry I think it'll interfere with sleep, I'll eat even if it brings me up to 1200. Weights been coming off pretty fast :)
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That said, I ate sub 900 cal for a few years and it badly damaged my health. Better to lift heavy and eat more than restrict too much too long.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    dwestin wrote: »
    Thanks, all. I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing for another few weeks and then see how I feel. I'll add in a multivitamin to make sure I'm not missing any vital nutrition.

Vitamins are micronutrients. Protein, fat & carbs are macronutrients........both are vital nutrition.

Focus on proteins & fats, at least. Large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. So fast weight loss (anything above 1 pound a week would be fast for your size) doesn't reduce body fat % as effectively. Google skinny-fat.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey is correct, it takes awhile for the side effects from under eating to show up, and lean muscle loss is something many don't think about. A higher body fat % shows up as "gee, I thought I would really good at weight xxx, but I guess I need to lose (even) more."

• Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Update again. I finally braved the scale, which I had been avoiding, and I'm actually 4.6 lbs lighter than I thought, which makes a huge difference when you're really short! I know that once I get into the low 130s, while not thrilled with how I look, I'm content enough that I don't feel like I have to hide from cameras or anything. So since I only absolutely need to lose about another 10 lbs, I'm going to allow myself another 150 or so calories per day. Just gotta figure out where to fit them in.
This discussion has been closed.