Is 1000 calories a day okay as a temporary goal for someone really short (5'0")?

Options

Replies

• reine4
    reine4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember the same volume of muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. That's why you can actually GAIN weight while exercising but look slimmer. Balance your macros, protein, carbs and fats and find the time to walk or other exercise. That will make you FEEL and LOOK better
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    reine4 wrote: »
    Remember the same volume of muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. That's why you can actually GAIN weight while exercising but look slimmer. Balance your macros, protein, carbs and fats and find the time to walk or other exercise. That will make you FEEL and LOOK better

you arent going to gain muscle eating that low of calories.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can't gain weight, muscle or fat, without a surplus of calories. Like building a house, if you don't have extra bricks you can't add on another room.
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would be very careful with eating less than 1200 calories. If you are able to start exercises then that will let you get your calorie deficit you need in a healthier way. Also I would highly recommend trying to increase your protein intake. When trying to lose weight the key to losing fat and not muscle is to consume 1g of protein per current body weight, this will help you lose the fat but keep muscle definition. Then if you only lose 10 pounds you'll still look alot better than if you lost 15 but most of it was muscle loss.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What's the point? Any weight loss you do is just going to come back on and than some. I've read countless posts on this site where people mention trying to lose x amount of weight within x amount of time and gaining it all back.

You're better off trying to lose 0.5 pounds a week or even 1 pound a week and eating the calories provided by MyFitnessPal it will most likely be 1200 calories.

Good luck! I would recommend even doing some walking 30 minutes and eating back half of the calories and finding some weights.

I'm 5'3 started at 188 pounds and I'm now 150 pounds. I'm losing weight in a healthy way I consume about 1600 calories though eating 1,000 calories sounds crazy!!

Why try to lose weight temporary when you can do this long term and it stay off?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Don't get too hung up on the actual number on the scale, because while you can certainly lose weight in 10 weeks, you may not quite hit 15 pounds. Figure out the drop-dead date for you to get your dress altered (if necessary), and do your best to lose weight until then. You'd certainly look better in the pictures if you're 5 pounds heavier but happy and in a dress that fits you vs. 5 pounds lighter but exhausted and in a dress that doesn't fit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and I rarely go over 1000 calories and I go to the gym 5 times a week and burn an extra 300 each time. I feel fine. A bit tired and always cold, but still fine. I lose 1.5 lbs a week. You'll be okay :) it's different when you're short, we don't need as much.

just because you dont have issues now doesnt mean you wont. and 1000 calories may work for someone very short,elderly or sedentary or a combo of the 3.but if a person has an active job and active other ways they need more calories.so if you are eating 1000 and burning 300 you are eating 700 calories? not healthy at all. Im sure thats less than your BMR
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What's the point? Any weight loss you do is just going to come back on and than some. I've read countless posts on this site where people mention trying to lose x amount of weight within x amount of time and gaining it all back.

You're better off trying to lose 0.5 pounds a week or even 1 pound a week and eating the calories provided by MyFitnessPal it will most likely be 1200 calories.

Good luck! I would recommend even doing some walking 30 minutes and eating back half of the calories and finding some weights.

I'm 5'3 started at 188 pounds and I'm now 150 pounds. I'm losing weight in a healthy way I consume about 1600 calories though eating 1,000 calories sounds crazy!!

Why try to lose weight temporary when you can do this long term and it stay off?

I'm not trying to lose it temporarily. I'm going to continue eating 1200 to 1300 a day after the wedding and then go up to about 1400 once I hit my goal weight.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and I rarely go over 1000 calories and I go to the gym 5 times a week and burn an extra 300 each time. I feel fine. A bit tired and always cold, but still fine. I lose 1.5 lbs a week. You'll be okay :) it's different when you're short, we don't need as much.

If you continue on this path things will go down hill for you. The symptoms you are feeling are just the start...
    https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/eating-disorders/index.shtml#part_145414

Thinning of the bones (osteopenia or osteoporosis)
    Mild anemia and muscle wasting and weakness
    Brittle hair and nails
    Dry and yellowish skin
    Growth of fine hair all over the body (lanugo)
    Severe constipation
    Low blood pressure, slowed breathing and pulse
    Damage to the structure and function of the heart
    Brain damage
    Multiorgan failure

Drop in internal body temperature, causing a person to feel cold all the time
    Lethargy, sluggishness, or feeling tired all the time
    Infertility
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    That's amazing that your sibling planned a whole wedding in just 10 weeks! It stinks though that now you are trying to meet an unrealistic goal in that time period since that's all the time he or she gave you to prepare.

My advice? Spanx. A reasonable calorie deficit (hint, 1000 or so is not reasonable). Weight training. Drink lots of water and maybe low carb the week of the wedding. Have fun and remember that this isn't your day and no one is going to be looking at you that day, or in the pictures. Certainly not in the context of what you weigh or how you look in your dress.

Also for what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and started at 153 lbs. I've lost 35 lbs eating b/w 1600-1900 calories and now maintain eating 2200 calories. You are petite, but you are not elderly or extremely sedentary, and so eating 1000 calories in order to lose weight is neither healthy nor necessary for you.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

If you continue on this path things will go down hill for you. The symptoms you are feeling are just the start...
    https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/eating-disorders/index.shtml#part_145414

Thinning of the bones (osteopenia or osteoporosis)
    Mild anemia and muscle wasting and weakness
    Brittle hair and nails
    Dry and yellowish skin
    Growth of fine hair all over the body (lanugo)
    Severe constipation
    Low blood pressure, slowed breathing and pulse
    Damage to the structure and function of the heart
    Brain damage
    Multiorgan failure

Drop in internal body temperature, causing a person to feel cold all the time
    Lethargy, sluggishness, or feeling tired all the time
    Infertility

Sounds like one of those commercials for a pill for itchy watery eyes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That doesn't sound healthy or sustainable. How much are you trying to lose? Why are you cutting so low?
    Being petite does not doom you to having to eat below 1200 in order to lose. I'm an inch taller than you and I lost weight eating 1600-1900 calories. I'm also over 40 and have a desk job.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

It isn't that different when one is shorter.

I'm 5'1 elderly (gosh I hate that term), sedentary, and lost (130 to 100-105) on 1200 (the correct calories for my goal) plus 200 for every hour I exercised.

Protecting bone, muscle, organs, and brain function was more important to me than a rapid loss.

There is no reason to eat so low, and the damage you are doing, though you may not feel it now, could have long term consequences. The being cold and tired indicates your body is trying to conserve energy by limiting basic functions.

Eat, you only get one body- take care of it.

Cheers, h.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'd be vary wary with your actual diet (the one you stated) and the nutrients you're getting. The reason you hear the 1200 for women/1500 for men is its difficult to get everything you need in fewer calories than that.

One serving of zucchini pasta, unless its the veggie cut into noodle shapes, isn't really a vegetable, it's a carb and that's your only veggie for the day. You're saying maybe some fruit later. I'd suggest more nutritious foods with that calorie intake, though I would also suggest 1200 and that should be 1200 NET (calories left after exercise). You're not currently giving your body enough to sustain itself and another 10 weeks at this level (after several weeks already) could do some real damage.

You want to have nice hair for your wedding, right? The first thing your body will do is deprive hair and nails of nutrients. While nice, hair and nails aren't vital to survival.

You want to have energy and enjoy your wedding, right? Lack of essential vitamins and minerals for several months will deplete your energy.

Not to mention the lean mass you will lose along with the fat.

Please ask yourself why you want this and who you're doing it for. Is it worth your long-term health (potentially)? Please take care of yourself!

• LuvtoBeme1
    LuvtoBeme1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Holy Freak'n Cow!!!MAY BLOODY DAY!!!! Sunshine... some of you others as well you are NOT o.k. I am a DR. A surgeon....I just switched to Sports medicine....reading this I nearly had a heart attack.Let me first say,no one on God's green earth should be consuming under 1200 kcals unless you are 4'10" and small framed with no underlying health issues.Then it should be high protein based.Let me also say that anyone giving diet advice well it is illegal unless you are a dr. or an RD.It is medical diagnosis.Food is medicine.The human body is a fine tuned machine or at least it should be however, many knock it out of alignment by crash dieting, not consuming a nutrient dense well balanced meal plan and yes that includes complex carbs and healthy fats.Yes you NEED both Cardiovascular and strength bearing exercise.Why? The internal organs are muscles they needs to be "worked out" like everything else.To those who think they can be in serious Kcal deficit and workout 5 plus days a week and "feel fine" let me tell you right now the hard truth.You are in a state of anorexia. You do not want to admit it but your body is feeding off your muscles,which includes your brain tissues, your nerves, your vital organs, your bones etc...I promise you are not even close to being fine.There are soo many variances to weight people.This includes bone density,height, white adipose versus brown adipose tissue, surgery(metal implants etc), hormones amongst other things. Dr.'s do not use BMI any more.. and we honestly rarely use just weight differentiation's. We DO use waist to hip ratios and BF. However even BF(Body Fat%) is 100% unless you are using water displacement. Here is the deal.The more you move the body the more you need to consume.Strength training burns more Kcal that basic cardio and will do so for many many hours after.In order for the body to be healthy.You need the basics and you CAN"T get that from a freak'n pill. You need to get from food.Supplements are called such for a reason.Another thing..these hype remarks.."proven",Guaranteed....etc are your warning sign that it is all sales techniques because in both allied and allopathic medicine in which I am both licensed in.We do not used these words.There is no such thing.Just like there is no such thing as a cure.you can not totally erase a pathogen. You can render it mute and or illeffective but not erase it.Yes, your body needs high amounts of protein unless you suffer from the rare ailments that state other wise, YES.. you do need complex carbs, Yes, your body need proper hydration and electrolytes.. You DO need healthy fats.. withdrawing from these leaves you in a train wreck health wise..NOTHING should ever trump your health.. being dead never looks good...
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I'd be vary wary with your actual diet (the one you stated) and the nutrients you're getting. The reason you hear the 1200 for women/1500 for men is its difficult to get everything you need in fewer calories than that.

One serving of zucchini pasta, unless its the veggie cut into noodle shapes, isn't really a vegetable, it's a carb and that's your only veggie for the day. You're saying maybe some fruit later. I'd suggest more nutritious foods with that calorie intake, though I would also suggest 1200 and that should be 1200 NET (calories left after exercise). You're not currently giving your body enough to sustain itself and another 10 weeks at this level (after several weeks already) could do some real damage.

You want to have nice hair for your wedding, right? The first thing your body will do is deprive hair and nails of nutrients. While nice, hair and nails aren't vital to survival.

You want to have energy and enjoy your wedding, right? Lack of essential vitamins and minerals for several months will deplete your energy.

Not to mention the lean mass you will lose along with the fat.

Please ask yourself why you want this and who you're doing it for. Is it worth your long-term health (potentially)? Please take care of yourself!

To be clear, the zucchini pasta is the new "veggie-made" zucchini lentil pasta that Birds Eye is selling in a variety of flavors. Per the website, "Birds Eye Veggie-Made Pasta - a delicious way to bring the nutrition of vegetables to traditional starchy pasta side dishes. In this new range of Pasta, the starch is replaced with real vegetables. It’s a great way to get your family to eat more veggies! Pasta made from vegetables, 1 serving of vegetables per serving, No artificial flavors or preseratives"
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 120 lbs. I've been eating around 1100 cal in order to lose weight. My maintenance is around 1300. I'm just learning that I eat to not be hungry instead of eating to get full and it's not too bad. That said, if it's bedtime and I'm so hungry I think it'll interfere with sleep, I'll eat even if it brings me up to 1200. Weights been coming off pretty fast :)

If you're eating 1100 calories and your maintenance calories are 1300, then your weight wouldn't be "coming off pretty fast". A 200 calories a day deficit would mean slowish weight loss, not even 0.5lbs a week, which is fine when you have little to lose.

How fast is fast? Maybe your definition of fast weight loss is different to mine. How did you arrive at 1300 calorie for your maintenance cals.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I was about that weight when I started and I'm 5'0" as well. I would be starving on 1,000 calories. I lost most of mine by eating 1,200.
This discussion has been closed.