Calories Burned Vent...

Options
Okay, this is when I get irritated. 20 minutes on elliptical. Elliptical claims 227 calories burned, HRM claims 78 calories burned, and MFP claims 213 calories burned. Really?? HRM is only 78? I burn more than that walking for 20 minutes. Why does my HRM say it is so low?:angry:

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    check the batteries on your chest strap.

Also check that is positioned correctly. Before starting your exercise manually measure your heart rate and see if it is close to the reading of the HRM.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    what type of HRM? Does it have a chest strap? Were the contacts wet enough? 78 cals seems low for the elliptical, unless you weight like 100 pounds...
  • amclark37
    amclark37 Posts: 19
    Options
    My HRM started acting up like this right before the battery went completely dead. I don't know if that could be the problem or not, but very frustrating!!!
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    35 minutes on elliptical for me is about 300+ so I would go with MFP's claim. Make sure your chest strap is wet when you put it on and if you still have a problem try changing the battery is the transmitter.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Is it only on the elliptical that it is off. My HR monitor typically is a little lower than my elliptical because my fitness level is better and I have to push myself more to burn the same amount of calories. If you aren't truly exercising on the elliptical, then it is probably correct. Otherwise, if all exercises are off...could be the batteries

Oh, and if the elliptical has it's own radio transmitted heart rate monitor...might be glitching yours. Luckily mine also reads the Polar chest strap that goes w/ my watch....so it doesn't matter which one I use...
  • rleikis
    rleikis Posts: 6
    Options
    Did you check your HRM periodically?

I don't even watch the machines anymore because my HRM is more accurate. I just check the min-max range screen sometimes, and then get the total at the end.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My HRM runs behind til I start sweating. After about 25 minutes, it catches up with the elliptical. The difference between them is like 10 calories when it's all over. I never use MFP's #.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    HRM may have gone out for part of the way. Happened to me on a run.
    That said, do you do the elliptical often? If you body has come accustomed to the workout, you may not be working hard enough to burn enough. The whole muscle confusion stuff….
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My HRM is always lower than the eliptcal. Make sure all your setting are correct and the battery is good.
    For some reason once in a while mine goes to 00 so I make sure I keep checking it during my workouts.
  • PrincessKick
    Options
    My last Polar HRM went to 00 if I got to close to my TV for some reason. It ended up dying and I bought a new one. So far no issue like that. If I didnt catch it going to 00 then my calories would be too low.