Really Hungry Today - See Anything Wrong With My Food?

124»

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    I'm British and can taste the slightest hint of sugar in builders tea! And trust me, I never drink measly 8oz cups with my little finger cocked!

I do concur with the observation that tea is a bit of an appetite stimulant. The tannin also inhibits iron absorption, so go easy on it, or else you'll end up as pasty as us lot :)

Oh, I can taste the sugar in it but without a LOT of sugar in my tea, I actually just don't enjoy it much. I guess I am doing the hot tea version of southern sweet iced tea. Yet, I really dislike sweet iced tea. I think it's just a throwback from being given that as a child and it's just a real habit for me. I spent months trying to drink it with no sugar and then 1-2 tsps. and I did it but I had no joy in it. I try to console myself with the fact that I don't drink, smoke but yet I like sugary tea.

As for the iron, I seem to be okay there. Had some issues prior to menopause, but all good now. But I am pasty.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »

I would die if I had to get up at 4am, and have nothing until lunch time other than a bit of cereal. :#

I get up at 8am. At work by 9. Somewhere between 9:45 and 10:30 I will eat one of the following:
    -greek yogurt with kashi crunch
    -eggbeaters with a slice of 2% cheese
    -oatfit oatmeal with skim milk
    -protein bar
    -a jimmy dean delights sandwich or a Special K flatbread sandwich

Any of those will last me until I eat lunch around 2pm. And lunch normally consists of chicken, in some fashion.

So you don't think it's all about the calories? With my tea and cereal/milk, I'm probably getting the same calories as you on the meals you listed above. I ask because you say "...a bit of cereal." I think I'm reading that it's really the protein that makes a difference for you? I do know that a protein bar definitely doesn't work for me...but the others probably would. Whether they would work better, I'll have to try.

To clarify, I eat my breakfast around 7:30 or 8:00. That when I'm usually hungry. Lunch starts between 11AM and 11:30.

I think protein has far more to do with satiety, than calories alone. At least for me it does.

Protein has ZERO to do with calorie counts and EVERYTHING to do with satiety. I thought that eating a lot more protein would make me 'feel' more full, or help my stomach not feel hungry. Protein does much more than this. It gets right into your brain and makes you just be ok with eating less.
  • priscillamelo333
    priscillamelo333 Posts: 6 Member
    I totally know the feeling! some days I can go all day without eating and be totally fine but other days I feel like I'm about to die even after a meal! I would replace one of your teas with something more filling like an apple or some petite carrots with oasis hummus (very low cal). Also when I'm dying to eat but don't have calories to spare, my two go-to foods are egg whites seasoned with one TBS of part skim mozzarella, or cauliflower "rice" both of those fall right around 50 calories and give me the satisfaction of eating something savory! You could also do a cup or two of seasoned steamed veggies just to help fill up your belly.
  • priscillamelo333
    priscillamelo333 Posts: 6 Member
    Also, stressful days tend to make me hungrier! Just a thought (;
  • CMNVA
    I think I'm doing a little better today!

I did have the same old cereal and morning tea because I'm not prepared for anything else.

I skipped my second cup of tea due to a meeting. For lunch, I had no leftovers so I had a new Lean Cuisine "flavor" I've never had: Mango Chicken and Rice and a Siggis Vanilla yogurt. So far I have skipped the popcorn but I just had 15 grams of raw almonds. I thought I could skip those but I got REALLY hungry all of a sudden. So I'm feeling okay now. Dinner will be around 5PM!!
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Sorry if I missed it (I did look), what are your stats, gender, weight, age, height? And what's your target deficit per day/week?
  • CMNVA
    brznhabits wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed it (I did look), what are your stats, gender, weight, age, height? And what's your target deficit per day/week?

Gender - F
    Weight - Started at 154 the other day, down to 151 (water loss)
    Age - 53
    Height - 5'7"
    Goal is to get to 143-145 lbs. I don't have a goal per week. I'd like to eat about 1650 calories per day. Very sedentary for now.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    protein and fibre need to go up imo
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2017
    Rusty740 wrote: »

Protein has ZERO to do with calorie counts and EVERYTHING to do with satiety. I thought that eating a lot more protein would make me 'feel' more full, or help my stomach not feel hungry. Protein does much more than this. It gets right into your brain and makes you just be ok with eating less.

Assuming that you are directing this at me, since you quoted me. Apparently you misinterpreted my post. My point was that as far as satiety goes, PROTEIN is more important than calories, for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »
    brznhabits wrote: »

Gender - F
    Weight - Started at 154 the other day, down to 151 (water loss)
    Age - 53
    Height - 5'7"
    Goal is to get to 143-145 lbs. I don't have a goal per week. I'd like to eat about 1650 calories per day. Very sedentary for now.

Do you still have a menstrual cycle? My hunger goes up a little when I ovulate and a lot premenstrually.

I'm a half inch shorter, three years younger, and need to exercise because without those exercise calories I can't make it through the day.

But protein does help. What about bringing in a sandwich or protein smoothie for breakfast? (I hear ya about not wanting to microwave eggs!)
  • CMNVA
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Do you still have a menstrual cycle? My hunger goes up a little when I ovulate and a lot premenstrually.

I'm a half inch shorter, three years younger, and need to exercise because without those exercise calories I can't make it through the day.

But protein does help. What about bringing in a sandwich or protein smoothie for breakfast? (I hear ya about not wanting to microwave eggs!)

Nope, no menstrual cycle anymore (YAY). It's been so great to be released from those PMS cravings. They were tough.

I'm going to play around with my breakfast a bit. Probably can't get to the store until Saturday, but I've got many ideas now. I hope they work!
  • packapunch1
    packapunch1 Posts: 9 Member
    What is your protein goal? Try adding eggs or fish a hardy source of protein. I think maybe your also eating food that digest faster? I notice when I eat like that I get hungrier during the day
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Scooby says you can lose even at 1600 so your 1400 days and overall deficit may be too high especially early on. Are you eating back exercise calories - if not, I think you might be truly hungry.

As mentioned above, protein and fiber can help. You might want to also spread out your calories. I'm currently at 3 meals and two, sometimes three snacks (of course, I had to decrease my cals during meals to keep my daily goal).

• CMNVA
    I don't have a protein goal. I know that MFP sets it for me but I'm not focusing on any specific nutrient. Well, I'd like to get my fiber to the recommended 25 grams and I certainly don't want to be heavy on carbs. So far, I seem to hit MFP's protein goal even though it might be low.

AS to eating back exercise calories, I'm not exercising yet. I did some walks on the weekend but hardly consistent with anything at this point.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm with you on drinking tea, I cant drink it black either! I used to add 3tsp of sugar to each cup of tea, which equaled to around 18-20tsps a day plus over 500ml of milk, everyday, I slooooowly tapered down, and now i dont have any sugar in it and less milk (250ml a day now). I have a big 500ml tea cup, and it definitely holds off the hunger pangs, i use full cream milk, none of that low/no fat dishwater stuff :confounded:
    I went from drinking 6-9 cups of tea a day, down to 3 cups of tea and 3 cups of coffee, i only started drinking coffee last year, and i've learned to drink the coffee black with a few drops of flavdrops (from Myprotein) to take the edge/bitterness off.

Have you tried having a protein shake for breakfast? Casein based powders are thicker and slower digesting than isolate and concentrate.
  • CMNVA
    I'm with you on drinking tea, I cant drink it black either! I used to add 3tsp of sugar to each cup of tea, which equaled to around 18-20tsps a day plus over 500ml of milk, everyday, I slooooowly tapered down, and now i dont have any sugar in it and less milk (250ml a day now). I have a big 500ml tea cup, and it definitely holds off the hunger pangs, i use full cream milk, none of that low/no fat dishwater stuff :confounded:
    I went from drinking 6-9 cups of tea a day, down to 3 cups of tea and 3 cups of coffee, i only started drinking coffee last year, and i've learned to drink the coffee black with a few drops of flavdrops (from Myprotein) to take the edge/bitterness off.

Have you tried having a protein shake for breakfast? Casein based powders are thicker and slower digesting than isolate and concentrate.

That's a lot of tea!! That's great that you've managed to enjoy it without sugar.

I've had a protein shake here and there--I'm just not one of those people interested in drinking my meals. I like the act of eating/chewing/savoring. Even if it's shredded wheat! :)