What am I doing wrong?

Hi all, I've spent the last 3 months on 1736 calories a day which is meant to have me losing 1lb a week. I've managed to keep to that except for a couple (less than 5) of bad days but even then didn't go about 2000 calories. Occasionally I go 100 over but make it up by taking an evening walk. I'm logging everything and trying to underestimate any exercise. With all that I've only lost 4lbs. It's getting frustrating to not enjoy my old snacks with such little change. What's the deal?

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Are you weighing all solids on a food scale, measuring all liquids, and counting absolutely everything? Are you using accurate entries? Could you still be overestimating exercise calories? Many only eat back 50%
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Your diary is locked. If you open it, you may get some more helpful advice.

Some basic things: Are you using a food scale for all solid food? Are you using any generic/homemade entries from the database? Are you often eating food prepared by others and choosing the closest match in the database?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    It could be a few things but the most obvious one seems to be that your TDEE is estimated too high compared to your actual. Do you have it set to lightly active ? change it to sedentary.

This essentially means that you are eating too many calories because you are crediting too many exercise calories compared to actual.

You think you are eating at a bigger deficit than you are. you think you are at -500 but you are likely only -166 based on your numbers (12 weeks 4 lbs is .33lbs per week)
  • cj2109
    cj2109 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks all. I'm set to sedentary cause I wanted to be safe. As I'm between sedentary and lightly active depending on the day. I averaged it for the last month and I was at 1500 but it recommends 200 higher so I don't think that's it. I'm using a kitchen scale and where I use "unofficial” estimates I check it against the packaging. As for underestimating exercise I go for an hour walk with my dog. Mapmywalk says 3mph average. I count that as 150 calories. I'll consider unlocking my diary but I'm kind of private online so I'll have to think about it.
  • cj2109
    The only thing I don't track is water and peppermint tea (no sweetener or milk).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    You need to eat less. It doesn't matter if you are logging 100% accurately and your calorie goal is too high or if your calorie goal is good and you are logging inaccurately. Bottom line is you need to eat less in order to lose at a faster rate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    cj2109 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've spent the last 3 months on 1736 calories a day which is meant to have me losing 1lb a week. I've managed to keep to that except for a couple (less than 5) of bad days but even then didn't go about 2000 calories. Occasionally I go 100 over but make it up by taking an evening walk. I'm logging everything and trying to underestimate any exercise. With all that I've only lost 4lbs. It's getting frustrating to not enjoy my old snacks with such little change. What's the deal?

Take an extra 150/200 cals off and you should be fine
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    I think besides the suggestions of other (eat less calories-yes!) you need to do some cardio exercises as well as some weight training... even if it's with 5lbs wts.. 10 minutes of anything you might feel comfortable. It's a step by step getting use to. How is your water intake? Sodium? My suggestions. Best of lucks!!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    Try reducing your calories by a little. Mfp isn't perfect. Maybe you just don't burn as many calories as the average person of your heigh/weight/etc.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017

ur stats plz. weight, height, age. whats ur maintenance caloric count? if it is at 2000 n u r eating at 1736 with tracking error then it would account for the 4lbs only loss. either post ur stats or just lower ur daily number to 1500. it is a very doable number since lve done it at that number with lifting 3/4 times a week n i m a male.

PS my dairy is open if u add me.
  • cj2109
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, some of that was helpful. I'll watch the sodium. I have about 5 glasses of water a day (could do better at that). If I'm averaging 1500, dropping 150-200 more takes me to 1300. I had a week it so where it said I hasn't eaten enough at the end if the day and had to eat something to get to my minimum. I'm male, 5'11". As of today 185lbs. Until last year I'd always been under 180 without watching what I eat at all so I'm guessing it's not just a "that's how my body works" thing (although my age funnily enough keeps getting higher). I walk the times a week 3mph for at least 30 minutes but could probably up that. It's working slowly just doesn't seem to match normal.
  • cj2109
    If it helps. My daily goal is set at 1730 but here are my last 10 weeks daily average: 1750, 1813, 1346, 1407, 1684, 1727, 1456, 1584, 1554,1450.
  • gretchendenio
    gretchendenio Posts: 9 Member
    I have a similar problem I am 5'9 163.4 lbs and I have an Apple Watch that monitors my move rate and exercise. I eat under 1300 calories a day and drink tons of water and I've been at a standstill for 3 weeks now? I don't know what to do!
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    If you're nearing 6ft tall and already 185, you're more likely to being closer to your goal weight, which means it'll be slower going. Unfortunately.
  • cj2109
    If you're nearing 6ft tall and already 185, you're more likely to being closer to your goal weight, which means it'll be slower going. Unfortunately.

Maybe I should check that. I thought my ideal was 165lb but maybe my source was wrong.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

Maybe I should check that. I thought my ideal was 165lb but maybe my source was wrong.

There's no such thing as a single ideal weight for any height. Variations in bone structure, bone density and amount of muscle make everyone's ideal weight (even at the same height) slightly different.

But even if 165 is a good goal for you (which it might be), being within 20 pounds of it make you "close to goal weight". So, losing at a steady rate of 0.5 pounds/week would be good. Since you're currently losing at a steady rate of 0.25 pounds/week, you need to drop about 100 calories from your diet (or be 100 calories more active - but that's harder to measure) to increase your rate of weight loss to 0.5 pounds/week.