How to lose weight while strength training

Options
Hey!
A week ago I started working with a personal trainer. We do a lot of strength training using weights. So far I can see and feel a little difference in the composition of my body which I am happy about HOWEVER I've gained 2 pounds.
I meet with the trainer 3 days/week and I did my own cardio 2 days/week. Why am I gaining instead of losing?!!!? Is it water weight from being sore? Please help

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It's normal. Remember this is a long term process. Make sure you take body measurements!
  • amerri14
    amerri14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But its been a week? when will the water weight leave
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My scale shot up 7 pounds when I started working out. It was water weight. Came off in a few weeks.
  • amerri14
    amerri14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know I need to do better keeping track of a calorie deficit but ive been eating healthy for sure. Is there anything else I can do to lose weight while strength training?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    amerri14 wrote: »
    I know I need to do better keeping track of a calorie deficit but ive been eating healthy for sure. Is there anything else I can do to lose weight while strength training?

Start logging your food consistently and accurately. The water may stick around for a couple more weeks as your muscles recover from this new stress, but after that you'll start seeing losses.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

It could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Just keep going... try not to focus too much on the scale right now. So it may "look" like a stall since the water weight can mask your losses, but you will lose provided you are continuing to eat in a deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

get a food scale and weigh, measure, log everything.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Could take more than a month. Even two.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This question is asked and answered at least a dozen times per week on this board. If you are eating in a deficit it is water weight, which may hang around for several weeks. If you are eating in a deficit you are still losing fat and need to wait it out.
  • belgitude66
    belgitude66 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    maybe you lose fat , but gain on muscles who are heavyer than fat, normal you gain weight. Once your metabolism stabilised after your body changes you will lose weight.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Water weight for muscle repair is good. Don't be so anxious. It's your body doing what it's supposed to do.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about too much unless it becomes a trend over a month or so. I started strength training, personal training and losing weight at the same time. Works well for me. I love the fact that as I lose weight I can see the muscle that was hidden. Never again would I lose fat before starting strength training.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, maybe it's water. But if you keep gaining and say "but I'm eating healthy though", while not logging calories, then there might be a time when the answer is no longer "it's just water".

So how do you lose weight while you lift? You lift in a deficit. And if you can't get into a deficit without proper logging of food, you log your food. I suggest logging food.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

If you continue challenging your muscles so that your body needs the water for repair, it never really "leaves." But eventually you lose enough fat to make up for it, and the scale starts down again.
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    A week ago I started working with a personal trainer. We do a lot of strength training using weights. So far I can see and feel a little difference in the composition of my body which I am happy about HOWEVER I've gained 2 pounds.
    I meet with the trainer 3 days/week and I did my own cardio 2 days/week. Why am I gaining instead of losing?!!!? Is it water weight from being sore? Please help

HI.

One thing to keep in mind when strength training is that muscle weighs more than fat. while strength training, weight is not necessarily the best measurement. Instead, focus on your muscle to body fat ratio.

Here is a link that should help. http://convertxy.com/index.php/bodyfat/