afraid of carbs

Options

Replies

• gemabbi
    gemabbi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When you mean carbs do you mean bread and pasta potatoes? Depending on what time of day it is if I was to have a pasta dish I'd be asleep on the sofa within the hour. Those type of carbs tire me out. But I love bread and I occasionally have some. But like what people say if you don't burn it you wear it.
    I thought I was carb sensitive but I think like anyone after a big refine carb meal you feel tired and sluggish.
    I limit my refine carb intake as I just can't have one slice of Italian thick slice bread with butter on it I'd need 2!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Elijah8468 wrote: »
    I'm always at a calorie deficit but getting most f them from protien and fats. Some calculations have me taking in as many as 300g of carbs and that just seemed excessive to me. I'm down to 205 from 280 and I'm trying to keep as much muscle mass as possible while dropping a pound or two a week. Didn't know if no having enough carbs would hurt that

300g is not excessive. I am doing keto. I try to stay under 40g net (not counting fiber). 40g net is usually about 60-70g total. To do this, I obviously have no sugar, no bread, no pasta, nothing like that. I allow myself almost no fruit at all (like only a handful of blueberries), almost no dairy at all (like, half a cup of yogurt, unsweetened) and I'm very careful even about which vegetables I eat. When I do that, which is pretty strict, I'm at about 60-70g in a day. I'm cutting out a lot of food and worrying about the carbs in the nuts I eat to stay at a quarter of what you're eating. That seems like you're probably eating a normal amount.

So, about the exercise, my understanding is that restricting carbs isn't an issue with that generally unless you're doing some mad cardio. Again, this is my understanding, if you're doing mad cardio, you need some carbs most likely.

If you want to know if carbs are bad for you, you should do keto for a few weeks. At the end of that time, you'll know. In my experience, one of two things will happen. You'll either be like, "Hm, yeah, the keto thing works okay. I can see a difference in my appetite but I also miss cake so I'm not sure," or you'll be like, "There is not a cupcake on this planet that tastes as good as keto feels."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only reason i can think of to be "afraid" of carbs other than a medical condition is if they send you down the path of uncontrollable hunger.
    My mum is a prime example of this, she has a massive bowl of oats (steelcut) for breakfast and loads in tons of fruit, it really is a gigantic serving! She'll eat this and be snarfing around the kitchen an hour later because she's hungry again, and then she'll eat something else. However, if she replaces those oats and fruit with a high protein and fat breakfast, it holds her over til lunch time.

So for her, carbs beget more carbs and makes it hard for her to ignore her hunger and therefore causes her to overeat. Myself, i can eat a kilo of fruit and it barely touches the sides, i treat it like a small snack, a tiny 60g Quest bar is more filling for me.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I eat Berry Kashi loaded with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries every morning with 0% fat organic milk. That's what I fuel myself with for the Gym and my day....mostly carbs and dairy. Because I love dairy and fruit, so I feel mentally satisfied while still eating healthy. Don't be afraid of carbs. Just replace bad ones with good ones.

Try "Explore Asian" (brand) black bean pasta. They have an edamame pasta, too. So when I want spaghetti and meatballs (or anything pasta, really) I use protein-rich black bean or pea versions and they're awesome! They make you more full than traditional pastas, too. Avoiding carbs is needless fretting.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I eat starchy carbs every day. I actually have a carb heavy diet because I have to limit protein for medical reasons. I've lost weight and my blood work is looking better with a combination of diet and medications.
    Limiting carbs is not one of the dietary modifications.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Just going to chime in as another user that has better results eating carbs than I ever did on keto. Both in numbers and well being.
  • masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. If cutting carbs was the real answer to weight loss why would sooooo many people be struggling with their weight? Its a gimmick. All those low carb diets are trash. Most diet fads are trash.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i have pcos so i was told eat low carb to lose weight. Bottom line is i was miserable i tried high carb just counting calories and lost 100 pounds in a year. Carbs are literally the fuel your body uses. not scary.
    I didn't know what pcos was so I looked it up. A brief search tells me that it isn't low carb that's recommended but avoiding carbs that are highly processed resulting in lower fibre content like white rice, white flour etc. An all around healthy diet rich in whole foods and a variety of protein sources is recommended.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but every time I see the title of this thread I visualise a slice of bread with a knife, lurking down alleyways, waiting to jump out and stab people.

I find it rather ridiculous to be afraid of a food/macro. Unless that food/macro is going to kill you (allergy or something), what exactly is there to be afraid of?
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really annoys me about carbs is that you can end up with more water weight fluctuation. Each gram of carbs uses 3-4 grams of water during digestion.
    I was eating around 180 grams of carbs per day, now I'm eating around 220 grams of carbs because I'm eating 10 servings of fruit and vegetables. The water weight fluctuations are a bit crazy. But, you just use a site like Trendweight and then you can still see a downward trend even with the scale jumping up and down by lbs at a time.
  • ervinmakko
    ervinmakko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options