Is 1000 calories a day okay as a temporary goal for someone really short (5'0")?

Options
13»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @LuvtoBeme1 you say you are a surgeon.can I ask how many hrs you had of nutrition and dietary needs in med school? and weight bearing exercises dont burn many more calories after you do it like you think(there are studies on this out there). I have also kept track of my calorie burns while doing cardio vs weight lifting. for a few hrs I burn more calories but then it returns to my regular calorie burn. and I only burn an extra 2-3 calories a minute for a few hrs. so while Im burning say 5 calories a minute at rest after weight lifting,a few hrs later its down to say 2-3 sometimes a little less.

cardio while doing it burns more than weight lifting but at rest it takes about an hr to get back to my regular calorie burns.maybe for me Im a rare case who knows
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    dwestin wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I'd be vary wary with your actual diet (the one you stated) and the nutrients you're getting. The reason you hear the 1200 for women/1500 for men is its difficult to get everything you need in fewer calories than that.

One serving of zucchini pasta, unless its the veggie cut into noodle shapes, isn't really a vegetable, it's a carb and that's your only veggie for the day. You're saying maybe some fruit later. I'd suggest more nutritious foods with that calorie intake, though I would also suggest 1200 and that should be 1200 NET (calories left after exercise). You're not currently giving your body enough to sustain itself and another 10 weeks at this level (after several weeks already) could do some real damage.

You want to have nice hair for your wedding, right? The first thing your body will do is deprive hair and nails of nutrients. While nice, hair and nails aren't vital to survival.

You want to have energy and enjoy your wedding, right? Lack of essential vitamins and minerals for several months will deplete your energy.

Not to mention the lean mass you will lose along with the fat.

Please ask yourself why you want this and who you're doing it for. Is it worth your long-term health (potentially)? Please take care of yourself!

To be clear, the zucchini pasta is the new "veggie-made" zucchini lentil pasta that Birds Eye is selling in a variety of flavors. Per the website, "Birds Eye Veggie-Made Pasta - a delicious way to bring the nutrition of vegetables to traditional starchy pasta side dishes. In this new range of Pasta, the starch is replaced with real vegetables. It’s a great way to get your family to eat more veggies! Pasta made from vegetables, 1 serving of vegetables per serving, No artificial flavors or preseratives"

You should still get about 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day and one serving of zucchini isn't even coming close.
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd be vary wary with your actual diet (the one you stated) and the nutrients you're getting. The reason you hear the 1200 for women/1500 for men is its difficult to get everything you need in fewer calories than that.

One serving of zucchini pasta, unless its the veggie cut into noodle shapes, isn't really a vegetable, it's a carb and that's your only veggie for the day. You're saying maybe some fruit later. I'd suggest more nutritious foods with that calorie intake, though I would also suggest 1200 and that should be 1200 NET (calories left after exercise). You're not currently giving your body enough to sustain itself and another 10 weeks at this level (after several weeks already) could do some real damage.

You want to have nice hair for your wedding, right? The first thing your body will do is deprive hair and nails of nutrients. While nice, hair and nails aren't vital to survival.

You want to have energy and enjoy your wedding, right? Lack of essential vitamins and minerals for several months will deplete your energy.

Not to mention the lean mass you will lose along with the fat.

Please ask yourself why you want this and who you're doing it for. Is it worth your long-term health (potentially)? Please take care of yourself!

To be clear, the zucchini pasta is the new "veggie-made" zucchini lentil pasta that Birds Eye is selling in a variety of flavors. Per the website, "Birds Eye Veggie-Made Pasta - a delicious way to bring the nutrition of vegetables to traditional starchy pasta side dishes. In this new range of Pasta, the starch is replaced with real vegetables. It’s a great way to get your family to eat more veggies! Pasta made from vegetables, 1 serving of vegetables per serving, No artificial flavors or preseratives"

You should still get about 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day and one serving of zucchini isn't even coming close.

*shrug* 9 servings of anything is never going to happen
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I dont even get 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day and my health is fine,but I do get enough calories(and then some)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 120 lbs. I've been eating around 1100 cal in order to lose weight. My maintenance is around 1300. I'm just learning that I eat to not be hungry instead of eating to get full and it's not too bad. That said, if it's bedtime and I'm so hungry I think it'll interfere with sleep, I'll eat even if it brings me up to 1200. Weights been coming off pretty fast :)

If you're eating 1100 calories and your maintenance calories are 1300, then your weight wouldn't be "coming off pretty fast". . A 200 calories a day deficit would mean slowish weight loss, not even 0.5lbs a week, which is fine when you have little to lose.

How fast is fast? Maybe your definition of fast weight loss is different to mine. How did you arrive at 1300 calorie for your maintenance cals.

Good catch.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What's the point? Any weight loss you do is just going to come back on and than some. I've read countless posts on this site where people mention trying to lose x amount of weight within x amount of time and gaining it all back
    Agree 100%. We all want a 'quick fix' but slow and steady really is the most sustainable way. For me, increasing activity substantially enables me to eat more and feel great while still losing. Eating only 1000 or even 1200 calories would be my worst nightmare lol
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What's the point? Any weight loss you do is just going to come back on and than some. I've read countless posts on this site where people mention trying to lose x amount of weight within x amount of time and gaining it all back.

You're better off trying to lose 0.5 pounds a week or even 1 pound a week and eating the calories provided by MyFitnessPal it will most likely be 1200 calories.

Good luck! I would recommend even doing some walking 30 minutes and eating back half of the calories and finding some weights.

I'm 5'3 started at 188 pounds and I'm now 150 pounds. I'm losing weight in a healthy way I consume about 1600 calories though eating 1,000 calories sounds crazy!!

Why try to lose weight temporary when you can do this long term and it stay off?

I'm not trying to lose it temporarily. I'm going to continue eating 1200 to 1300 a day after the wedding and then go up to about 1400 once I hit my goal weight.

But why start trying to lose weight in an unhealthy manner? Eating only 1000 calories is really unhealthy. You can lose weight by eating at a normal deficit. I'm not sure if you know this but rapid weight loss can cause loss of muscle, stretch marks, loose skin, tiredness, fatigue. Cold sweats, hair loss, and lots of other things.

Even the user above who does the same thing mentioned she feels "cold" that's not a normal thing to be happening.

Why not try to consume even the minimum 1200 calories? You can even eat more if you wanted. Especially if you work out that means you can eat more food and still have a deficit.

I'm glad you want to continue on with this journey but starting out in an unhealthy manner is not the the best approach. My rate of loss is currently set to 0.5 pounds, but I know you probably want to lose weight so that's why I'm saying even 1 pound is acceptable.

If you want to look good at the end I would recommend starting out in a healthy way at the beginning. I once read a blog post about someone who was eating less than a 1,000 calories they go to their goal weight but ended up dealing with a body that looked really saggy that occurred because they lost muscle mass which is not a good thing. They ended up intentionally gaining the weight back and reducing the rate of loss and adding in lifting to their routine.

If you want a tight toned body muscle is very important to have and I would recommend eating at least 1200 calories if you want more as well and adding in a mix of strength training and cardio.

At the end of the day my body is looking good going slow, but if you want to feel cold all of the time and deal with other health issues that's up to you.

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what your job is.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.