fat Percentage went up?

Options
annamarie0408
annamarie0408 Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I started at Golds a month ago yesteday. I had a fitness test the first day, which is scored 62% on, which isn't bad honestly. my fat Percentage was 41.1% with my height being 5'3 at a weight of 207. I went back yesterday and did another fitness test, scored 76% with a fat Percentage of 41.2% and a weight of 204. I don't understand how my fat Percentage is going up. I have list at least 3 pounds and my body had slimmed down some. I work out at least 5 times a week, which include Zumba and weight classes as well.

Does anyone have any insight on how my fat Percentage has gone up instead of down?

(also want to mention, its a high fat Percentage I am aware but I am only a size 12/14 with a big nice butt and boobs so I don't actually look like i'm 200+ pounds.)

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    There's an error somewhere. BMI is a formula that includes only height and weight. Find an online BMI calculator and redo it with your old and new stats.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a height / weight ratio - you would have had to got shorter or gained weight for your BMI to go up....

Do you mean body fat percentage perhaps?

My guess is you are using an inaccurate measuring device for BF% which is prone to wild fluctuations.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking fat %, not BMI.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    at 5'3", 207lbs - your BMI is 36.7
    at 204lbs - 36.1

sounds like they didn't calculate it right either time...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    maybe you shrank?! :laugh:
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    since you edited it from BMI to fat percentage

look at it this way:
    207lbs - 41.1% = 121.9lbs lean muscle mass/85.1lbs fat
    204lbs - 41.2% = 119.96lbs lean muscle mass/84.04lbs fat

you have lost nearly a lb of fat - but have lost lean muscle mass as well - aside from zumba, are you doing any kind of structured weight lifting program?
  • annamarie0408
    Options
    Everyone, my bad, they called it BMI when they were talking to me with it. But they had a machine that I had to hold onto and it gave them my fat percentage. I just don't understand how it went up when I've slimmed down and am starting to create muscle mass again.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If it's bf %, you're a lb less fat than before even despite it going up 0.1%.

Thats likely to be inaccurate though, it's such a minimal amount and most ways of determining bf% aren't likely to give consistent results - there's lots of variables!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    because they aren't very accurate and a lot of different things can affect the readings including hydration. I have body fat scales and they are up and down daily along with my weight fluctuations.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    humph...apparently my last post didn't show (or is my computer being weird) - you are well within the error rate for a BIA (sounds like they had you do an inbody assessment)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Everyone, my bad, they called it BMI when they were talking to me with it. But they had a machine that I had to hold onto and it gave them my fat percentage. I just don't understand how it went up when I've slimmed down and am starting to create muscle mass again.

they aren't accurate machines
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Your BF% could have gone up by 0.1% - which really isn't very much - even with a three lb weight loss if the loss was water weight.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Did they then shove a membership renewal form in front of you?

I would be skeptical of these results.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A handheld device in a gym is double whammy of a dreadfully inaccurate device being used in just about the worst way.
    It won't even be assessing/guessing your lower body composition.

Tracking progress with weight, photos and measurements would be far better,

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    those machines are wildly inaccurate..but even if they were accurate, why would you worry about .1% increase in bodyfat??
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The handheld device they use to measure body fat are VERY inaccurate. Don't let the number they gave you get you down because hydration is a huge influence in the measurement. If they didn't mention how inaccurate the device is I would be wary of letting them do further measurements.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

they aren't accurate machines

It depends... some of them are better than others..
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Those things suck and aren't accurate. You didn't gain body fat.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    you can lose body fat and still have your percentage go up (if you lose more lean muscle mass than fat in the same time period)
  • annamarie0408
    Options
    Did they then shove a membership renewal form in front of you?

I would be skeptical of these results.

Well I already have the membership, its a month to month so I can cancel at anytime! (its worth paying $4 more a month and have the abiltiy to cancel then $4 cheaper and be in a year contract)
    those machines are wildly inaccurate..but even if they were accurate, why would you worry about .1% increase in bodyfat??

Mainly because of how much he made it seem like a bad thing. Regardless the fact that my clothes are not as tight as they were a month ago or the fact my skin is clearing up He made the .1% seem awful. He was like, you need to watch your food better, do more of this and that, and just made me feel awful. Heck I lost 3 pounds in a month, which isn't amazing but for me and with my how body holds onto my weight it made me happy. Also, I have been working my butt off in the gym for the past month and for them to tell me I'm getting more fat than muscle sort of makes it depressing.

I told him I personally didn't care about my weight because of my body, I will always weight more than the BMI scale says I should. As long as I am healthy and have a nice body frame I could weight high number and not care. Its really just with how they acted when they saw the number go up instead of down.