fat Percentage went up?

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Did they then shove a membership renewal form in front of you?

I would be skeptical of these results.

Well I already have the membership, its a month to month so I can cancel at anytime! (its worth paying $4 more a month and have the abiltiy to cancel then $4 cheaper and be in a year contract)
    those machines are wildly inaccurate..but even if they were accurate, why would you worry about .1% increase in bodyfat??

Mainly because of how much he made it seem like a bad thing. Regardless the fact that my clothes are not as tight as they were a month ago or the fact my skin is clearing up He made the .1% seem awful. He was like, you need to watch your food better, do more of this and that, and just made me feel awful. Heck I lost 3 pounds in a month, which isn't amazing but for me and with my how body holds onto my weight it made me happy. Also, I have been working my butt off in the gym for the past month and for them to tell me I'm getting more fat than muscle sort of makes it depressing.

I told him I personally didn't care about my weight because of my body, I will always weight more than the BMI scale says I should. As long as I am healthy and have a nice body frame I could weight high number and not care. Its really just with how they acted when they saw the number go up instead of down.

if any "trainer" told me that I'd tell them to go and *kitten* off and would probably then switch gyms - if you are working towards your goal and making progress (which you are), then yeah - they can go take a long walk off a short pier
  • annamarie0408
    annamarie0408 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well I personally attend classes Monday-Thursday and on Saturday (which are included in the Gym Membership) so I honestly don't want to pay $300+ for a trainer for a month (that is just me though). Monday I do 2 hours of Zumba, Tuesday I do 1 Hour Zumba then 1 hour weightlifting class, Wed is Spinning Class, Thursday is 1 hour weightlifting class then 1 hour zumba. Friday is my free day so I either do Cardio and weights or I do swimming and Saturday I do kickboxing class, Sundays are my break days.

I am sure with doing all that and eating on track I should be able to slim down, it might take a year to get where I wanna be but I am sure it can happen if I keep this up. Heck, per my iWatch I burn at least 1000 calories on Tuesday and Thurday classes and aroound 400-600 on the other classes.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're doing everything you said you are you are doing great, that machine is nonsense, and that trainer may have many great qualities, but expertise in that machine ain't one of them. Switch them up.

Maybe in the meantime figure out what you like most about this gym and look for another that has those things but is less gimmicky.

Good luck! You sound like you're doing a really great job taking charge of your health the way you have. Don't let some dumb machine throw that in doubt.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Keep going but stay away from the fat scan thingy, and the guy who does it. He seriously doesn't know what he's talking about if he gave you grief over the number going up slightly.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Did they then shove a membership renewal form in front of you?

I would be skeptical of these results.

Well I already have the membership, its a month to month so I can cancel at anytime! (its worth paying $4 more a month and have the abiltiy to cancel then $4 cheaper and be in a year contract)
    those machines are wildly inaccurate..but even if they were accurate, why would you worry about .1% increase in bodyfat??

Mainly because of how much he made it seem like a bad thing. Regardless the fact that my clothes are not as tight as they were a month ago or the fact my skin is clearing up He made the .1% seem awful. He was like, you need to watch your food better, do more of this and that, and just made me feel awful. Heck I lost 3 pounds in a month, which isn't amazing but for me and with my how body holds onto my weight it made me happy. Also, I have been working my butt off in the gym for the past month and for them to tell me I'm getting more fat than muscle sort of makes it depressing.

I told him I personally didn't care about my weight because of my body, I will always weight more than the BMI scale says I should. As long as I am healthy and have a nice body frame I could weight high number and not care. Its really just with how they acted when they saw the number go up instead of down.

If the trainer doesn't understand that 1/10th of 1 percent exceeds the margin of error of ANY device(to include bod pod/DEXA)... then I'd see about switching... if you need to use a trainer.

I was going to say the same thing - I would seriously question why this person is a trainer if 1) they believe those machines are accurate and 2) they freak out over .1 % bodfat
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A 0.1% change in bodyfat percentage is not accurately measurable by any device currently in use, no matter how accurate or sophisticated it claims to be. That's absolute hogwash and the trainer should know that. The fact that he considers that reading valid speaks volumes about his level of knowledge/proficiency. The error in BIA readings can be as high as 8%-9% in the first place, so thinking it can accurately measure a 0.1% change is beyond ridiculous. And if he did refer to BMI instead of bodyfat percentage, that's even derpier - the two don't correlate in any meaningful way and any trainer worth their salt should know the difference between the two.

It sounds like that trainer is a typical "big box gym" trainer who knows a lot more about selling memberships than anything else. When I signed up at my current gym, the trainer offered me a free initial consultation which included a bodyfat assessment. I asked her how they measured it and she told me they used one of the BIA machines. I told her no thanks, not interested. I could get a measurement just as accurate by throwing a dart at a dartboard.

If you want to read in detail about how inaccurate those machines are:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-4-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-3-and-4-bod-pod-and-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'd just be middle fingers up. The trainer can take his attempt to shame you and go pound sand. It sounds like you're being active, and only you know the truth of what you eat/your effort at the gym. If you feel like you're making progress through how your clothes fit... then keep on keeping on. If that progress seems to stop, then re-evaluate.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It sounds like that trainer is a typical "big box gym" trainer who knows a lot more about selling memberships than anything else. When I signed up at my current gym, the trainer offered me a free initial consultation which included a bodyfat assessment. I asked her how they measured it and she told me they used one of the BIA machines. I told her no thanks, not interested. I could get a measurement just as accurate by throwing a dart at a dartboard.

Well it's Gold's so not only is it a big box gym. It's the brand that invented the big box gym.

Honestly, I had a chance to ride one of the new premium 6 point multiwave machines at an assessment, and I was suitably impressed by the clarity of acknowledging and accepting the possibility and margins for error.

They claimed +/- 3% IIRC and the readout was suitably detailed and informative regarding likely ranges of hydration, lean body mass and fat mass
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Agree with others to not take stock in the machine's measurements.

That said, conceptually it's very possible to lose weight, and plenty of it, and still maintain or increase body fat percentage. You can do that by excessive caloric deficits and your training be almost all cardio. That's why it's important to eat exercise calories and use resistance training to preserve lean body mass.

You have a very active gym routine - and although you haven't talked about intake, I hope you are fueling your workouts.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Well I personally attend classes Monday-Thursday and on Saturday (which are included in the Gym Membership) so I honestly don't want to pay $300+ for a trainer for a month (that is just me though). Monday I do 2 hours of Zumba, Tuesday I do 1 Hour Zumba then 1 hour weightlifting class, Wed is Spinning Class, Thursday is 1 hour weightlifting class then 1 hour zumba. Friday is my free day so I either do Cardio and weights or I do swimming and Saturday I do kickboxing class, Sundays are my break days.

I am sure with doing all that and eating on track I should be able to slim down, it might take a year to get where I wanna be but I am sure it can happen if I keep this up. Heck, per my iWatch I burn at least 1000 calories on Tuesday and Thurday classes and aroound 400-600 on the other classes.

Your TDEE is somewhere between 2700 and 3100 (moderately active and active) as inputted into Fitness Frog. 2708 and 3014 on Scooby.

I looked at your diary, which suggests you eating 1300 calories per day. I'm assuming that means you are trying to lose 2 pounds per week. If you are maintaining the activity you describe, you may not be eating enough. 2700 is moderate, and I think you are probably more than that. This means that you could be eating 1700 or more calories per day and still be on track with your goal - if it's 2 pounds per week.

Please take a close look at that. If you under-eat with all that activity, there can be issues with that, as I mentioned previously with respect to body fat percentage.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Well it's Gold's so not only is it a big box gym. It's the brand that invented the big box gym.

Honestly, I had a chance to ride one of the new premium 6 point multiwave machines at an assessment, and I was suitably impressed by the clarity of acknowledging and accepting the possibility and margins for error.

They claimed +/- 3% IIRC and the readout was suitably detailed and informative regarding likely ranges of hydration, lean body mass and fat mass

I've had a similar one done - I think it was a 4 point (both feet, both hands) multiwave machine (2 different frequencies, for 5 points (trunk, L/R arm, L/R leg) - and gave me a read out that included total body water, total lean muscle mass and then body fat
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

So that is why you are posting this? Oh my. FAHGETTABOUT it. You are losing weight, and working out. He's just a guy that makes a few bucks an hour at a gym trying to motivate folks. Stop worrying.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    water weight, when you measured, etc. play a part in these handheld devices. A caliper is far more accurate and a DEXA scan will be even more accurate. Small devices that measure via electrical current, like a home scale or the handheld device, are incredibly inaccurate. Try not to let it get you down.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    brookielaw wrote: »
    water weight, when you measured, etc. play a part in these handheld devices. A caliper is far more accurate and a DEXA scan will be even more accurate. Small devices that measure via electrical current, like a home scale or the handheld device, are incredibly inaccurate. Try not to let it get you down.

calipers can be off too
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    brookielaw wrote: »

calipers can be off too

Since the OP hasn't come back to let us know if it was a handheld or commercial model. All that's certain is that it's at least as inaccurate as any other estimate.