How many have you have stopped running due to injury?

Options

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    currently dealing with a bout of Piriformis Syndrome, which is causing sciatic pains down my left leg. Not quite sure what the initial cause was but have got some stretches to do, finally bought a foam roller and am going to do the stupid thing of continuing to run.
    Mostly because I have a 100km run planned in September and my 12 week training plan starts today and secondly because if I'm not running then I become a really miserable person.
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    I used to enjoy running, but it got to the point that my knees and hips constantly hurt. I finally had to give it up and started lifting instead.

Was that before or after your stroke?

That was after my stroke. I used my treadmill daily to learn how to walk again. Then gradually increased the speed until I could run. I started training and ended up running a 5 K, but my old joints just couldn't take the impact of running.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i'm currently injured myself. first time since i started running. 2 overworked muscles on the same leg, really close to each other. it's been 2 weeks already, and i have no idea when i will run again. i've been feeling better , but haven't tried running yet.i 'm hoping in the next couple of weeks i'll be able to start again.fingers crossed!
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 14 years. Through college I never found myself injured, the older I got the easier I found myself to be injured. I kind of go in spurts with running, I will start and go for a while and then move onto something different. I do find when I get injured though its more to me pushing more miles too soon. Last year I had an MRI done because I have been having knee pain for over a year now, turns out I have arthritis in both my knees. I still run maybe twice a week 3 miles at the most but I mostly stick to walking, spinning, and the elliptical for cardio.
  • skonger
    skonger Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    11 months ago I crushed my ankle between a guardrail and my motorbike, I've got 2 plates and 11 screws. I've had three surgeries so I couldn't weight bear for at least 6 months, leg wasted away with all the atrophy. I had three orthopedic surgeons and even a plastic surgeon tell me that I would probably never run again.

3 weeks ago, I started running on the treadmill, slow run with walking intervals but I'm running. I have a lot of work to do cause range of motion is still bad in the ankle and my leg is considerably smaller then the other leg. It was A LOT of hard work to get to this point, 3 times a week of physio, 3 times a week of acupuncture, 2 times a week of deep tissue massage and I was doing hydrotherapy as well but stopped, not enough time.

I swear the impact of the running has made the range of motion better on the ankle, forcing it to move. A lot of scar tissue has built up around my ankle because I've been sliced open 3 times in 3 different areas, some twice. Anyone want to share stories of how to deal with ankle hardware, I would love to hear it cause I have lots!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy running, but it got to the point that my knees and hips constantly hurt. I finally had to give it up and started lifting instead.

That was after my stroke. I used my treadmill daily to learn how to walk again. Then gradually increased the speed until I could run. I started training and ended up running a 5 K, but my old joints just couldn't take the impact of running.

Please forgive all the questions, but I am interested in other stroke survivors who run/were able to run after stroke. What was your gait pattern like as compared to before the stroke? If it was altered, do you think that contributed to your injury? How did your stroke arm fare while running?
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Please forgive all the questions, but I am interested in other stroke survivors who run/were able to run after stroke. What was your gait pattern like as compared to before the stroke? If it was altered, do you think that contributed to your injury? How did your stroke arm fare while running?

My gait pattern changed during running because it would cause nerve pain flare ups on my affected side which would cause me to start limping. Under normal circumstances you can't even tell that I've had a stroke, but when I get tired or have a nerve pain flare up, I start to limp. I have limited sensation in my affected foot. My affected arm has completely returned. Only my hand is affected. I can only feel half of it. Please ask me anything that you like.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    skonger wrote: »
    11 months ago I crushed my ankle between a guardrail and my motorbike, I've got 2 plates and 11 screws. I've had three surgeries so I couldn't weight bear for at least 6 months, leg wasted away with all the atrophy. I had three orthopedic surgeons and even a plastic surgeon tell me that I would probably never run again.

3 weeks ago, I started running on the treadmill, slow run with walking intervals but I'm running. I have a lot of work to do cause range of motion is still bad in the ankle and my leg is considerably smaller then the other leg. It was A LOT of hard work to get to this point, 3 times a week of physio, 3 times a week of acupuncture, 2 times a week of deep tissue massage and I was doing hydrotherapy as well but stopped, not enough time.

I swear the impact of the running has made the range of motion better on the ankle, forcing it to move. A lot of scar tissue has built up around my ankle because I've been sliced open 3 times in 3 different areas, some twice. Anyone want to share stories of how to deal with ankle hardware, I would love to hear it cause I have lots!
    Keep working with your PT! I'm so surprised you are able to run so soon! It took me over a year and I only had one surgery, one plate and 8 screws! Lol! Good luck with your recovery!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Avoiding injury while running is a learning process. Runners who run for distance and keep doing so for years learn when to back off to prevent injury. They learn when to back off and when to stop to keep a minor injury from becoming a major injury. This is a frustrating process, as there are no bells that ring when you get it right; there is only pain when you get it wrong.

I can understand people who give up running because learning how to run without getting injured is too difficult. I can understand people who simply decide that running is not their thing. That's okay. I do wish that those who give up running because they got injured would not try to convince us that *everyone* should avoid running because it causes injury.

It is possible that running may be contra-indicated for your personal health situation. I find that sad, but it is true that the risk of injury while running is too great for some individuals. It is not true for all individuals.

^^ This is very well said.

I have lived this process, as have my training partners and my coach, who is an ultra runner and 4 time Ironman. Injuries happen and recovery can sometimes be frustrating. With that said, I still find the benefits far exceed the risks.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have S.i joints dysfunction. My hips get twisted from this. I have really bad back pain when I run so I stopped running. It wasn't worth the pain to keep going.
  • soprandi
    soprandi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had to give up running after being a lifetime running. I have chondromalacia patellae and it can't be fixed. The cartilage is so torn, two orthopedic docs said they couldn't do surgery. It wouldn't matter. Plus, I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my knees too! I had a double whammy at the orthopedic office that day. I was told if I want to keep walking, that I had to give up running!
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences. You have convinced me to keep going. I think I'll see a physio too to make sure I don't injure myself further.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I recently had to stop due to issues with Achilles Tendonitis. I pretty much stopped running for 4 months. I just upped my swimming and biking. After giving my ankle time to heal, I'm slowly adding running back in to my cardio rotation and feeling pretty good. I didn't lose too much speed or endurance.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had back surgery (not running related, but I'm sure it didn't help) almost 8 weeks ago and ran up until about a week before. However, it's been advised by my physical therapist not to run anymore (or at least in the near future), as it is too much impact on my altered spine. Meh, running wasn't something I "loved" but I did enjoy being outside doing it. I walk now and ride a stationary bike for my cardio.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have trouble running, but not because of an injury caused by running. An old car accident finally caught up with me 25 years later, in the form of arthritis in one ankle. There are days where I can still run, but not consistently, I have gradually become a swimmer. I miss aerobic/dance type exercise even more though, my ankle is not letting me do any jumping :(
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to running. I would run 14 miles every day without fail. Eventually I got severe ITB syndrome and would get grueling PT twice a week and kept running. After about 12 years my feet blew out. I got Morton's neuromas, and inflamed nerves to my big toes. I had faithfully worn orthotics but eventually bad biomechanics caught up with me. I miss it still, 20 years later, but I doubt I will ever run again. It would be unwise and could set me back even further (I have flares from walking even and have gotten a lot of cortisone shots to manage it)
    Man I miss it....I try not to think about it.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was never ever a serious runner. I also never really injured myself in my attempts to become a runner. I also tried hard to understand the mechanics of running so that I was as easy on my body as possible. But, I found it extremely hard on my body. Achy legs (not muscle aches....bone aches), complaining hardware from a surgery, tweaky hip. I tried all sorts of things to make it better, but just could never seem to get it quite right, and it wasn't something I enjoyed enough to solider through. I ran to make myself fitter for other things I enjoy far more, but running was starting to make those things uncomfortable because of all the niggling little issues it was causing. So, I stopped. If I enjoyed it, I would have pushed through. I know how to do that having pushed through much worse things for other things I enjoy doing. But it didn't have enough appeal for me to think "I love this. I will tough this out."
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Me. I'm not injured from running but I gained a significant amount of weight and running really hurts my knees and ankles. What I do now if run in the pool and other aqua training that way I can still go through the motions without it hurting my joints
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Avoiding injury while running is a learning process. Runners who run for distance and keep doing so for years learn when to back off to prevent injury. They learn when to back off and when to stop to keep a minor injury from becoming a major injury. This is a frustrating process, as there are no bells that ring when you get it right; there is only pain when you get it wrong.

I can understand people who give up running because learning how to run without getting injured is too difficult. I can understand people who simply decide that running is not their thing. That's okay. I do wish that those who give up running because they got injured would not try to convince us that *everyone* should avoid running because it causes injury.

It is possible that running may be contra-indicated for your personal health situation. I find that sad, but it is true that the risk of injury while running is too great for some individuals. It is not true for all individuals.

This is very true. I am currently sidelined from running with high hamstring tendinitis. Looking back, I can pinpoint the exact mistakes I made that led to the injury and I know I will not make them again.

In the meantime, I am focusing on keeping my cardio fitness up by biking and swimming and I am also focusing in strength training, especially my core, and doing balance and agility exercises, as I have learned that these things go a long way in helping to avoid injury. The biggest two mistakes that runners make that lead to injury are running too many miles and ignoring strength training.
  • bodypowerfitnessnyc
    bodypowerfitnessnyc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Youre all injured because you haven't given the body the building blocks . Y'all need bone broth