What's wrong with nutrient-dense VLCD?

Options
I'm doing a VLCD, which I know is discouraged on these forums. What I don't understand is why VLCDs are considered bad. For breakfast, I had an 3white/1yolk omelet with spinach with two cups of coffee with half-and-half. For lunch I had 3.5 oz of ground chicken stir fried in coconut oil with beer greens, kimchi, and mushrooms, along with lots of water. For an afternoon snack I had berries sprinkled with cocoa, along with coffee with half-and-half. For dinner, I had a 3.5 oz round steak with French beans, along with water. For an evening snack, I had two small beef jerky sticks with sparkling water. That's a lot of food- but it's well under 1000 calories. I also took a high quality multi-vitamin. I can't imagine eating more than that and losing weight. It's actually healthier than I usually eat. It's pretty much protein and low-carb produce. Is that so bad? That's a sincere question.

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a VLCD, which I know is discouraged on these forums. What I don't understand is why VLCDs are considered bad. For breakfast, I had an 3white/1yolk omelet with spinach with two cups of coffee with half-and-half. For lunch I had 3.5 oz of ground chicken stir fried in coconut oil with beer greens, kimchi, and mushrooms, along with lots of water. For an afternoon snack I had berries sprinkled with cocoa, along with coffee with half-and-half. For dinner, I had a 3.5 oz round steak with French beans, along with water. For an evening snack, I had two small beef jerky sticks with sparkling water. That's a lot of food- but it's well under 1000 calories. I also took a high quality multi-vitamin. I can't imagine eating more than that and losing weight. It's actually healthier than I usually eat. It's pretty much protein and low-carb produce. Is that so bad? That's a sincere question.

It sounds tempting and even a little logical at first glance. However, don't confuse nutrients with energy. Your body needs energy and that's a function of the caloric content of food. Your food intake looks nutritious, in that it has plenty of protein (I have a similar breakfast many times, but without the coffee). I see it's very low carb too. Even if you want to go with less carbs, your body still needs the energy - so you are still in a situation where although you have your micronutrients and plenty of protein, there is not enough energy in it to prevent your body from burning lean tissue.

@usmcmp explained it well in her response. You haven't mentioned if you exercise in addition to all that.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Energy first, then worry about nutrients. Doesn't matter how many vitamins you're popping if you're eating below your BMR your body will start consuming itself to meet those energy needs. Which is not good. At all.

How about eating more healthy stuff like you already are, but enough so you're meeting your daily energy needs (with a moderate deficit if you're trying to lose weight)? More nutrients=better right?

Some easy changes:
    use whole eggs instead of egg whites, whole eggs are very nutrient-dense
    add more vegetables, especially some starchy ones (sweet potato + steak + green beans sounds delicious)
    more fruit
    switch out some meat for lentils, beans, etc or just add them to meat dishes

These are all things that would keep you eating healthy, nutritionally dense foods but would also allow you to keep at or above the recommended 1200 calories a day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Because there isn't such a thing.

Doctors prescribe them short-term and carefully monitor them for severely obese patients with co-morbidity factors (heart disease, risk of stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) where the cost of the temporary lack of nutrients and metabolism of muscle is outweighed by the need to quickly drop the weight to help save the life of the person.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Because nutrients aren't energy and energy is as important to your health as nutrients...you can only metabolize so much fat in a given 24 hour period...when you exceed that, you're going to start torching more lean mass.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    are you weighing every single thing you eat?? because what you listed there could be a lot more calories than you think if every item is not being weighed.
  • mickweidner
    mickweidner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm weighing the food and yes I'm exercising, too. Thank you for all the input and advice. I'll switch it up. Thanks again.