Stupidest Question ever.. Boxed Sides

Options
kenzienal
kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
Okay so this might possibly be the stupidest question ever, but I am literally arguing with myself over this.

I am making boxed Betty Crocker Au Gratin potatoes tonight. (I know, not the healthiest, but my boyfriend needs all the extra calories he can get, and I probably wont eat much of it, but still want to log it if i do.)

When entering in this, does the entry already include the milk and butter needed for the recipe, or only the boxed mix?

Seriously, I know. How stupid.. but when it says "1/2 cup prepared" as one serving on the box, is that including the milk/butter, or do i need to add that separately.

What I previously had been doing was logging the boxed side as one entry(1 serving), then any additives the recipe calls for outside of the box, like butter, olive oil, milk, I add an entry for that too. Divided by the servings so I would only be recording one serving of butter/milk/oil, etc.

Assuming thats correct? Or is the box already including the butter/milk in their serving/nutrition facts.

Thanks in advance to whoever settles this internal debate I am having.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When a label says "prepared," I believe it is including the ingredients that are called for in the instructions.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If boxes say "as prepared", then that's accounting for the milk, etc. Just make sure that you use a scale to weigh the "extras", and to weigh your serving portion. :-)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Look on the side of the box
    It should give a "lighter version" as well
    I THINK the Betty Crocker ones have nutritional info for prepared and not prepared. I usually use the "not prepared" and make a recipe bc I use less butter etc.

I make these for the BF all the time and they're delicious.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    Well thats good then, for the past 6 months I have been overestimating, but thats way better than underestimating!

On another note,
    I don't weigh anything I eat, but I over estimate a lot, and have lost 16lbs so far :) Only 6lbs more to lose before goal.

I have OCD, so counting calories gets borderline obsessive for me, and if I let it go full force, I KNOW it will cause me to stress/lose enjoyment/fall off the wagon, as it has before. So I count my calories with estimations, and constantly have to combat the obsessive thoughts/habits to avoid stress. Once I get stressed out, I tend to pack the weight on.

I certainly agree with weighing foods, and my weight loss may have been faster, but I have found what works for me, and stick with that.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I make this for my daughter all the time (it's one of her favorites) and I always manage to fit it into my calorie limit for the day. Nothing to be ashamed of!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    W
    I don't weigh anything I eat, but I over estimate a lot, and have lost 16lbs so far :) Only 6lbs more to lose before goal.

I have OCD, so counting calories gets borderline obsessive for me, and if I let it go full force, I KNOW it will cause me to stress/lose enjoyment/fall off the wagon, as it has before. So I count my calories with estimations, and constantly have to combat the obsessive thoughts/habits to avoid stress. Once I get stressed out, I tend to pack the weight on.

I certainly agree with weighing foods, and my weight loss may have been faster, but I have found what works for me, and stick with that.

I think it's fine to do this as long as you are still losing and trying to stay close to portion sizes. If you start to plateau you may need to start weighing, but if counting cal is doing the trick I wouldn't sweat it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Well thats good then, for the past 6 months I have been overestimating, but thats way better than underestimating!

On another note,

Nah you do you

I lost fine without weighing
    Weighing and numbers just appeals to me
    And for MOST people it's an easy answer
    Sometimes I find myself over obsessing (and getting binge-y) and I completely stop mfp altogether and simply "count" in my head. It still works for me. Better than being crazy!
  • kenzienal
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

On another note,

Nah you do you

I lost fine without weighing
    Weighing and numbers just appeals to me
    And for MOST people it's an easy answer
    Sometimes I find myself over obsessing (and getting binge-y) and I completely stop mfp altogether and simply "count" in my head. It still works for me. Better than being crazy!

I definitely feel crazy here and there, even just estimating like i do. Lol. At this point I don't eat until I log it first. No matter dinner, a quick snack, a drink. I think of food constantly, and review my log probably 50 times a day. I also start to stress a little if I go over, but now I just tell myself its a maintenance day, and thats its okay. With weighing food, I would probably get certifiably crazy.