Should I ditch my favorite snack?

Options
Ok, I'm 7 months post partnum and I've decided I need to get back on the wagon and lose the 20lbs that has hung on since baby.

Anyway, I have current favorite snack that's just not "healthy". It's about 1oz cheddar cheese, a slice of white bread, and some ranch for dipping. Other than possibly the cheese, I know it's not healthy. Should I ditch it, or is it ok as long as I have enough calories for it?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What isn't healthy about it?

If I have cheese as a snack, I usually eat it with fruit or Triscuits. Bread/dip wouldn't be enough to satisfy me.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Yup just have it in moderation within your calorie goals and you should be fine. There is no such thing as bad foods, Its what kinds of macros are you looking for.

Heck there is even a thread where someone was asking for carb only food (no fat no protein). So everyone was posting their favorite sugar candies lol.

• roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    How isn't it healthy? If you like it and you have calories for it then eat it. Just make sure you weigh the cheese and ranch because they are calorie dense and you could be eating more calories than you realize.

When it comes to health and eating healthy start thinking about it in terms of overall food rather than individual items.

I guess it just seems like a healthier alternative would be carrots or fruit or something. I just feel guilty eating something relatively nutrient free. I keep thinking that since I'm eating so much less (1500 ish calories) I should make every bite be as nutritionally sound as possible. But then again, my little snack makes me happy!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    roobe18 wrote: »
    How isn't it healthy? If you like it and you have calories for it then eat it. Just make sure you weigh the cheese and ranch because they are calorie dense and you could be eating more calories than you realize.

When it comes to health and eating healthy start thinking about it in terms of overall food rather than individual items.

I guess it just seems like a healthier alternative would be carrots or fruit or something. I just feel guilty eating something relatively nutrient free. I keep thinking that since I'm eating so much less (1500 ish calories) I should make every bite be as nutritionally sound as possible. But then again, my little snack makes me happy!

Life is too short to be unhappy about a snack. Eat what you enjoy and make it fit your calories. You don't need to torture yourself or be miserable to lose weight. It's just a snack. Eat it! :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

but its NOT nutrient free, its just different nutrients. Your body still needs fats, sugars, carbs, proteins from many sources to function.

THIS!
    It is not unhealthy in any way...

This is what keeps people from losing weight... the media induced delusion that 'healthy' means bland, raw... well grass, I dunno what to say... carrots... lol.. and daemonising regular food.

Unhealthy is overeating, that's what's unhealthy.

I doubt that you'd eat all your necessary daily calories in the form of pure sugar so I don't think there's anything else to be said there.

Eat regular food and eat a reasonable amount of it.

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you've got a snack that's within your calories and it makes you happy, do it. Eat the thing! I know there's the whole "food is fuel, not fun" mindset at times but eh. Food is still fun. So enjoy it, responsibly.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Imma have a Christmas tree cake before I brush my teeth tonight! Woo!

EAT THE THING!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

but its NOT nutrient free, its just different nutrients. Your body still needs fats, sugars, carbs, proteins from many sources to function.

THIS!
    It is not unhealthy in any way...

This is what keeps people from losing weight... the media induced delusion that 'healthy' means bland, raw... well grass, I dunno what to say... carrots... lol.. and daemonising regular food.

Unhealthy is overeating, that's what's unhealthy.

I doubt that you'd eat all your necessary daily calories in the form of pure sugar so I don't think there's anything else to be said there.

Eat regular food and eat a reasonable amount of it.

^^^this

Views on "healthy" vs "unhealthy" foods tend to be arbritrary and trend towards whatever macro or micronutrients are being demonized at the time. There is nothing unhealthy about your favorite snack, in moderation. In fact, if it helps you feel satisfied, even better! Just make sure you aren't over in your calories, and you're good!
  • roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Imma have a Christmas tree cake before I brush my teeth tonight! Woo!

EAT THE THING!

Lol! I'm not sure what that is, but good for you! :)
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the food diary on myfitnesspal. Granted, I've only bee using it since the first but it is very helpful.

And remember, moderation is the key to success (especially with moderation) :)

Use the my fitness pal tool to help you set your goals. Dieting shouldn't have to be painful or boring. Keep eating your snack.

anyway, hopes this helps.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the only thing I would add is that ranch dressing can be a huge fat bomb and you can have more of it then you intend - so measuring out a serving may help with that
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me tell you all about the gloriousness that is Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes.

81DH-5rhulL._SL1500_.jpg

This is a Zebra Cake. Yellow cake with creamy white filling and white chocolate ganache icing, drizzled with milk chocolate. Quite good, and available year-round. I like them a lot. My husband puts them in the freezer, but I like them best refrigerated, because it firms up the ganache, but the filling stays soft and creamy. The blend of textures is delightful.

1453214834.jpg

THESE are Christmas Tree Cakes. Same cake/filling/icing. HOWEVER. The shape of the cakes, with the points all around, gives you these differences in the texture, because there's more ganache at the points, whereas with the hexagonal Zebra Cakes it's more even. So at the points you get more firmness and white-chocolately yum, and toward the middle it's softer and fluffier.

And then on top of that there's the sugar crystals, which are perfectly sized to give you just the right amount of sparkly crunch. If they were smaller, they'd be sandy and not very interesting. If they were bigger, they'd be too hard and spiky. But they're neither too big, nor too small. They are just right.

The effect overall? PERFECTION.

Alas! They are only available seasonally. :( However, some people might, erm... stock up ^.^ (Naming no names, of course...)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mmm little Debbie! they sponsored the ironman that I did (oh the irony) since they are a local TN company - we had snack cakes on the course at one stage
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Weigh in 138.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sorry, wrong thread, lol
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm 7 months post partnum and I've decided I need to get back on the wagon and lose the 20lbs that has hung on since baby.

Anyway, I have current favorite snack that's just not "healthy". It's about 1oz cheddar cheese, a slice of white bread, and some ranch for dipping. Other than possibly the cheese, I know it's not healthy. Should I ditch it, or is it ok as long as I have enough calories for it?

Gotta ditch them. These high carbohydrate foods trigger over-eating. All calories are not the same. Bread, chips and other starchy foods cause blood sugar spikes that make you hungry sooner.