Seeking sweet snack suggestions

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A rice crispy treat is 90 calories. Pudding cups are less than 100 I think? I eat dark chocolate every night (well except the last two nights, I ran out).ive also made popcorn and drizzled a little chocolate on them (letting the chocolate dry and get hard)

I know you said besides fruit but I've been eating a small bowl of blueberries with a small dollop of whipped cream. Sometimes I add sliced strawberries too, if I have any. Also pineapple. I tried that with the whipped cream today and it was great!. And I'm going to grill pineapple tonight with a little glaze so they should be nice and sweet. Also- smoothies are always good.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I weigh out a 30-gram serving of Quaker Corn Squares cereal for 110 calories. It's sweet, but it's not one of those sugar/candy-coated kid-market cereals.

Also, meringue cookies (27-33 calories each depending on how many you get out of the recipe): https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/crispy-classic-meringues and chocolate coconut truffles https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/decadent-vegan-chocolate-truffles (I made mine a bit smaller and got 20 out of them @ 74 calories each).
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    i cut up strawberries and sprinkle with Splenda. Also a 1/2 serving of your favourite chocolate probably has less than you think!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Eevee_King wrote: »
    Also sugar free pudding. Its delicious.

Sugar free pudding would have artificial sweetener, yes? The OP said her stomach reacts badly to artificial sweeteners.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    AlphaEcho7 wrote: »
    I have a horrible sweet tooth, but I'm trying to cut down the amount of sugar in my diet. Unfortunately, I can't have the diet options of anything because my stomach reacts badly to artificial sweeteners. I don't want to go completely without sweet things because it's basically my favorite part of eating, haha. Other than fruit, what's everybody's favorite low-sugar dessert or snack?

Why no fruit? That was going to be my suggestion. I've had great success by reducing baked goods and increasing fruit.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    oh crap I didn't read that part.. sorry about the Splenda suggestion; brain fart
  • nicolekcunningham82
    nicolekcunningham82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Real dark chocolate. Not Hersey's but the real, no less than, 85% Cacoa such as Green & Black, Divine, and Chocolove. This helps me get my fix. And you are talking about a hard core chocolate/sweet eater. When I do have my cravings, this is what I get and I read the labels to make sure I am eating the most nutritious bar, and I eat a square very slow to savor. I don't eat more then half of the bar. At that point I usually throw it away or give it to someone. I hope I helped.
  • packapunch1
    packapunch1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually would do a sugar free jellow only at 10 calories. But i usually go to a frozen ripe banana and blend it with a french vanilla protein powder and you get like a custard ice cream you have your natural sugars and it would be high in protein
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Allthefruits. I know, I know, it's still sugars, and you DID say other than fruit, but it's sugar as god intended. My raspberries are ripe and I cannot stop stuffing them into my face. And they are so versatile and you can do so many things...damn now I want berries.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I make home made low sugar jams with fresh fruit and Pomona's Universal Pectin. These jams are really good stirred into plain yogurt.
  • mdreas
    mdreas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm making a lot of coconut milk and almond milk based homemade ice creams sweetened with stevia, or else a small drizzle of agave syrup. I then portion it out into 1 cup containers for the freezer. Ice cream my favorite thing so I'm finding ways to make it lower calorie.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for taste or satiety? For taste, a couple of hard candies or mints often will satisfy me. Lately, I've been on a black licorice kick. One coin is ~9 cals.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I also just work out a little more than I want to so I can squeeze in a real treat. I am not one for half measures when it comes to sweet things. A banana just won't scratch that itch!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you said "other than fruit" because fruit is obvious, or if you want to avoid fruit.
    I'll assume that it was just because it's obvious. I don't do any artificial sweeteners either – – I think they'll give you babies with two heads, and they're just plain nasty. I am very fond of snacking on a half cup of 0% plain Fage with half of banana chopped up in it in smaller chunks, and a sprinkling of granola. It's got that creamy thing, The sweet thing, and the crunchy thing. Those are all very satisfying for me.
    I also second, third, and fourth the really high-quality dark chocolate advocates.
  • roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you look at the lables, you can usually find an ice cream bar that is fairly low calorie and less than at 20 carbs. Ice cream makes me happy, so it feels like a sinful treat. Costco has really good fudge bars for 100 calories.
  • AlphaEcho7
    AlphaEcho7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't expect to get so many replies! Thanks to everyone who did; it gave serious food for thought (ha, see what I did there). In regards to the "other than fruit" addendum, yes, it was because fruit is obvious. I do enjoy my fruit, but was hoping to diversify a bit because my tongue is getting bored with the same old things over and over. Also, I'm definitely all about that chocolate as dark as my soul.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I know it's a fruit, but it tastes and feel like candy...
    Dates. LOVE them!
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    -Jello and cool whip/dream whip/whipped cream (I do use sugar free but even with sugar it wouldn't be too much)
    -Pudding (50 cals and up)
    -Caramel chocolate chip rice cakes (60 cals)
    -Oreo thins (140 cals for 4)
    -Frozen fudge/ice milk bars (100-120 cals)
    -Individually wrapped chocolate squares (swiss delice at Costco are about 32 cals each)
    -I also love this ridiculously tasty peanut butter chocolate milkshake....
    -large frozen banana
    -2 Tbsp. peanut/nut butter (preferably with salt)
    -1-2 dates
    -1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
    -Almond milk to desired consistency (1-1/5 cups)
    (it's not super low cal but it is super satisfying!)
  • biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have a HORRIBLE sweet tooth, and I recently found popsicles/fruitbars called Outshine by Nestle. They are about 35 calories each and the ingredients are as follows: BLUEBERRY CHAMOMILE: CHAMOMILE TEA (WATER, CHAMOMILE FLOWER EXTRACT), CANE SUGAR, BLUEBERRIES, BLUEBERRY PUREE, NATURAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, CAROB BEAN GUM, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C). Just an example. I get the "tea" and fruit ones and they help me instead of binging on chocolate. Tastes great!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is delightful and very chocolate-y and not crazy calorie-wise:

http://www.kemps.com/freezer/frozen-yogurt/chocolate-peanut-butter-cup-frozen-yogurt-48oz/

I love it a whole lot as a sometimes treat.