Staying Lean

Options

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Anyway, if you want to hold your current weight are the calories a bit higher than when you were maintaining at 20%? I find that if you eat in maintenance and focus on gym performance, the physique starts to come with it. You can recomp a bit and enjoy food.

Yeah, that's really my best bet. While cutting, I got down to a miserable 1,200-1,300 calories a day! My maintenance level is 1,600-1,800 with the occasional 2,000-2,300 on the weekends. But I just look "softer," and "puffier." :(

take up some exercises n u can eat back half of what u burned plus ur daily maint. allowance
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Dr Yoni Freedhoff
    ""Best weight” is a non-statistical goal that is easy to set and easy to explain to patients. Patients can diet themselves down to any weight they put their minds to, but to maintain that weight, they need to actually enjoy the lifestyle that got them there.

A patient’s best weight is therefore whatever weight they achieve while living the healthiest lifestyle they can truly enjoy. There comes a point when a person cannot eat less or exercise more and still like their life. The weight they attain while still liking their life is thus their “best” weight, as without the addition of pharmacotherapy or a surgical intervention, no further weight loss will be possible.

We need to remember that in modern society, eating is not simply about survival. We use food for comfort and for celebration and, with the exception of religious prohibitions, there should be no forbidden foods. If your patient cannot use food to comfort or celebrate, or if they consider certain foods “forbidden,” then they are likely on a diet, and unfortunately diets are known to fail over 95% of the time. For sustainable weight management, a patient should be consuming the smallest number of calories that still allows them to enjoy each day. Some days will simply warrant more calories, such as birthdays, anniversaries, religious holidays, and days when injuries, illness or fights with loved ones occur. Simply put, ice-cream and cookies and their cultural and ethnic equivalents are vital parts of a rich life experience.

With exercise, a patient should be encouraged to be as physically active as possible and include as much additional exercise as they can enjoy each day. Some days obviously will allow for more activity than others, but there is a maximum, above which the patient would run out of time or energy, hurt themselves or come to hate exercise. That is when they quit. Eating less and exercising more within the context of a life the patient does not enjoy is the very definition of a diet, which is why diets almost always fail over the long-term. If a patient does not enjoy the way they are living while they are losing weight, they will almost certainly revert to “normal” practices and gain the weight back."[/quote]

I love this! When I first started losing weight, I didn't really believe I would be able to do it- and thought that if I lost 10 or 15 pounds, that would be great. I ended up being quite successful and kept increasing the amount I thought I could lose. About 6 months ago, I hit 55 pounds lost- and decided I would keep going another 10 pounds- which would put me in a normal BMI- and at the lowest weight I have been as an adult as far as I can remember.

Great plan- but it just didn't happen! I have been maintaining since then. I have thought about cutting my food more- but at the moment I seem to maintain with about 2,000 calories- and a regular amount of exercise. (probably more than 2,000 as I think I probably underestimate my food- I log food- but not to 100% accuracy).

My best weight- the one that I hope to maintain for the next 40 years or so- is a little higher than I might have liked. But I an healthy, I feel great, my clothes look great, and I've focused on changing my eating habits and being a better role model for my kids. I sometimes still get trapped into thinking I'm not quite there- or 10 pounds less would be better and start getting down on myself. I need to talk to myself and remember my main goals.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Since no-one has dropped this yet I'll put this here. One of the best realistic articles on the sacrifices it takes to get and stay lean.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean

and TLDR, the info graphic is here:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean-infographic

I fluctuate up and down between lean-ish and lean depending on my life, social life, training schedule and current level of commitment to nutrition. It will be very rarely healthy for anyone, particularly females, to stay lean (15 +/- 3% for females) year round IMHO. I'd say that most people who do that, do it because it's their jobs or superior genetics allows it. For most people I'd say mentally and physically it's better to hold a little more fat and enjoy life.
  • chokhas
    chokhas Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Since no-one has dropped this yet I'll put this here. One of the best realistic articles on the sacrifices it takes to get and stay lean.

that is quiet a realistic article and describes fairly well how I feel. the last few kg to get the lean look is not worth the effort for me right now o:)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    My "best weight " is 120 lbs, give or take a couple. Last year I got down to 114 lb and was prolly under 20%. It was cool to achieve that level of leanness. Especially since I am 48 & 5'3. I was fascinated at how my skin felt as thin as paper because I'd lost so much fat on my abs. But, it was not realistic long term.
    Any deviation from my diet plan made me feel out of control. I'm maintaining 21% bf pretty easily and still enjoy life :)
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I fluctuate up and down between lean-ish and lean depending on my life, social life, training schedule and current level of commitment to nutrition. It will be very rarely healthy for anyone, particularly females, to stay lean (15 +/- 3% for females) year round IMHO. I'd say that most people who do that, do it because it's their jobs or superior genetics allows it. For most people I'd say mentally and physically it's better to hold a little more fat and enjoy life.

That was great. In my profile pics I'm 15.1% body fat according to a bod pod, but I think I'm probably not quite that low (I'm 5'6" and I was at 120 lbs). That was last summer. I remember feeling really great about myself and I was so in the zone that I didn't feel deprived and it didn't seem that hard to get there. Then I gained 5 lbs 'cause I let loose a little for the summer. Then I wanted to bulk, but I wanted to get those 5 lbs off so I could start my bulk from the lowest possible body fat I had been at and it was just impossible for me to get those 5 lbs off again! So, I bulked at a starting point of 125 lbs, gained 20 lbs over the winter and it was glorious at the time! I'm back down to 130 after almost four long months of cutting and it's just such a struggle this time.

Like a lot of people here, I yo yo'd for 20 years. I thought I was over the mental craziness that comes with that struggle. That body I had last summer was still very, very new to me and I have to say the bulk/cut cycle, even though it was very controlled, has turned out to be so reminiscent of the out of control up/down yo-yo'ing that I did. I'm not sure I'm far enough away from my "before" way of life to handle it AND be patient with the process. Add to that that I never plan on competing and what am I doing this for again? Oh right, I want to look and feel good ;)

Ramble over.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Great resources! What an encouraging perspective!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    chokhas wrote: »

that is quiet a realistic article and describes fairly well how I feel. the last few kg to get the lean look is not worth the effort for me right now o:)

The graphics suggest that men "may" get a 6-pack at 6-9% BF which I do not think is generally true.

10% was low enough for me to get them and most other references on the Net that I've seen suggest that 10-12% is enough to achieve that, which again was the case for me.

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a 50k right now, I'd stop worrying about leanness and focus on performance. Then, in the fall/winter, eat a bit more a do some kind of heavy squat/glutes program and bulk up a few pounds. Then next spring you'll have more muscle and you can eat more and look leaner!

Oh, that's pretty close to what @sardelsa said.

Also, take some pictures- you probably look almost exactly the same but feel squishier.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    20% isn't really lean so it will be maintainable if you have your intake/expenditure in check.

20% is considered the high end for athletes so I think it's pretty lean for a female.

Me too!

I have no illusions that i'll ever be 20% body fat. I think 22-23% is definitely doable though.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lbaxandall wrote: »
    It's so funny, I was pretty lean a few years ago and as much as I loved it, looking back, it kinda sucked. I didn't do/eat anything fun, I was freezing all the time, I was tired, had dark circles under my eyes, and was pale. Now sitting around 21-23% BF, higher weight than ever (130 at 5'3), thicker hair, better complexion, eating/drinking almost anything I want (I have a decently healthy diet anyways). I'm WAY happier now! And I was still self conscious when I was that lean, I'm way less self conscious now. I feel more free and happier in general

Being lean and being healthy don't HAVE to be exclusive of each other. Though, I guess I'm not sure what you mean when you say you were "pretty lean"...
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

This article was really, really eye-opening for me. Like, really. I identify with "Bill" so much - I'm so close to "awesome", and I'm frustrated that what I'm doing isn't getting me there. I needed someone to break it down for me like this.

Doesn't mean I don't still want it, but recognizing that it's a whole separate step, and that I have to be willing to make other "tradeoffs" is an important realization in deciding how "badly" I want it. The "hard" transition is something I don't think I appreciated.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

This article was really, really eye-opening for me. Like, really. I identify with "Bill" so much - I'm so close to "awesome", and I'm frustrated that what I'm doing isn't getting me there. I needed someone to break it down for me like this.

Doesn't mean I don't still want it, but recognizing that it's a whole separate step, and that I have to be willing to make other "tradeoffs" is an important realization in deciding how "badly" I want it. The "hard" transition is something I don't think I appreciated.

Yes, thank you for sharing this. I keep thinking it shouldn't be so hard to get to the next level of fitness, but some of my goals may not be realistic if I want to keep a full-time job and at least a bit of a social life! I really need like 9-10 hours of sleep to maintain the routine I'd like to do.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »

Yes, thank you for sharing this. I keep thinking it shouldn't be so hard to get to the next level of fitness, but some of my goals may not be realistic if I want to keep a full-time job and at least a bit of a social life! I really need like 9-10 hours of sleep to maintain the routine I'd like to do.

My body demands 8-10hrs of sleep now. I HAVE to get it. I have friends desperately trying to lose weight on 4-5hrs sleep and they refuse to see it's holding them back. But then again, when you have 6 kids, a husband that travels and a writing career (one example) I'm not sure how you do it all either.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »

My body demands 8-10hrs of sleep now. I HAVE to get it. I have friends desperately trying to lose weight on 4-5hrs sleep and they refuse to see it's holding them back. But then again, when you have 6 kids, a husband that travels and a writing career (one example) I'm not sure how you do it all either.

Omg I wish I could get at least 7.. instead it's 5-6h of broken up sleep if I'm lucky. I always wonder what kind of progress I would have with more sleep ...
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Since one of your goals is to build up the glutes, perhaps rather than focusing on getting back down in weight and getting leaner, maybe eating at maintenance and doing more lower focused training you can recomp, and even if you gain a little extra it won't be the end of the world (and may even be a good thing!). Then if you have a vacation, special event, etc you can focus on leaning down again. So basically you are going between focusing on growth/bodybuilding/performance, and then being lean for short periods of time. I don't know where you live, but you can also cycle between being more lean for hotter months, then a bit heavier (less lean) during the cool ones. Whatever you prefer.

That is what I would do vs. trying to be very lean all the time.

Yesssss, so much of this!!! I stayed very lean for about a year but it was definitely a grind tracking all of the time....then I switched to this exact approach and it was a game changer for me. Now I get to enjoy being very lean in the summer but get to become more lax with my diet in the fall/winter and eat in a way that fuels performance and muscle growth. I've learned to appreciate both my lean summer body and strong fluffier winter body, I think it's been the key to my diet sanity.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, maintaining 6-7% was relatively difficult and definitely took it's toll. I maintained it for about 6 months, and then life happened and it wasn't really possible any more. Now I'm trying to get back there.