Stress eating.

Options
So ever since I stopped smoking, eating has been my go to for when I am stressed out. Yesterday I had a really bad day and after lunch I caved and ate a bunch of crummy food and it went right into the evening.

Does anyone else do this and what to you do to curb the temptations?

Thanks, feel free to add me too

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I do, most definitely. Food has become my solution to most "problems". Being aware of your stresses, and your response to those stresses will help, because at that point you can begin forming new habits. But it's a long, slow, and at least for me, frustrating process.

The other thing that helps is trying to do more things that keep you happy, that burn off those stresses before they become a problem. Sometimes this is easier said than done, though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Meal planning helps me a lot, and in particular planning varied, balanced meals I really want to eat, so that I have something to anticipate, both in the sense of predictability/reliability, and something nice to look forward to. This means that I prefer what is on the plan and can easily forgo random temptations. Important parts of the plan are structured shopping with a list, and scheduled preparation of ingredients for simple cooking.

I'm no longer afraid of food, so I don't eat just to eat/because there is food/to ease emotions/boredom anymore.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Meal planning definitely helps. If its a craving for something, work your craving into the plan as well so that you dont feel deprived. Moderation is the key.

As for stress eating specifically, you need to disassociate food as a stress reliever. you are just going to increase the stress about your weight as it gets worse, additionally it does not healthily address the stress itself. find another outlet to relieve the stress, an exercise class, walking, video games, watching a movie, talking with someone. and stick with that activity on a regular basis, dont wait until the stress builds up to a boiling point that causes a binge.

Hence the saying let a little steam off.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I find going for a walk/run can help kill those cravings and relieve stress. I listen to audiobooks while I walk, it's very relaxing. When I get home, my urge for junk food is gone.

At work: bring your own lunch and healthy snacks and leave your cash/debit/credit at home.

At home: Grocery shop on a full stomach, stick to a list, meal-prep, don't keep junk in the house.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am right in the depths of a stretch of stress eating and its just doing my head in. I have some surgery coming up, and I cant seem to stop stressing about it. I have put on 9 pounds. I dont think its all fat, but I may just be delusional. I know what I have to do, its just doing it that is the difficult thing! I am still logging and weighing, but its so depressing!! Oh well, just a couple more weeks and then it will be over and I can get back to "normal".
  • ThatBillGuy1984
    ThatBillGuy1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a rediculus amount of food yesterday after I was triggered. Bowl of fries with cheese, four pieces of cheese toast, big bowl of tortilla chips, couple fist fills of jube-jubes, an iced Capp, five doughnuts and a big bag of BBQ chips.

Gross right? I'm unable to stop when I get started. It's my biggest issue and concern
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've been there... will probably be there again. I'm getting better about being cognizant of it when it's starting, which gives me a fighting chance at curbing it before it gets into the 5000 calorie surplus range. It's definitely a work in progress, though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Consider addressing the underlying craving. My dad finally quit with the nicotine patch and what I called "three months of grumpiness". In the days before nicotine patches, a co-worker walked around chewing on swizzle sticks.

There's an oral fixation with cigarettes which I think needs to be taken care of too.

I think of cravings as being tidal waves. It's safer to "ride the wave" and offer a little something by way of relief, than to try and stop the wave altogether. A technique I learned is to tell yourself that you will have (a measured portion) of your treat "in ten minutes". Then go ahead and have some in ten minutes. This leaves you with a bit of control and you will be stronger next time. And you weren't eating for ten minutes.
  • ThatBillGuy1984
    Options
    I like that idea and will try it.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I used to ...

Several things that have already been mentioned helped me stop this behavior, too.

I got rid of foods that were my "go to" in stressful situations, and I just forbade myself from ordering take out. Planning my calories each day was most important for me.

As I have lost weight, I have had to replace the activity of eating with other things. At first, I started doing more exercise, which probably sounds obvious, but getting into that routine really helped with my stress. And as I felt better physically, I felt more powerful and was less likely to be triggered by things that had gotten to me before. And, the less likely I was to thwart my weight loss efforts with unplanned snacks, etc.

The phrase "virtuous circle" comes to mind -- when I started doing things that were good for me, I felt better, and the easier it was to keep doing good things and move away from ones that weren't so great.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You could budget for it? I have exams coming up and need sweets/chocolate in the hall to perform to an appropriate level - the cals have been saved up all week!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a Pepto Bismol commercial I just hate, where a guy orders mountains of fast food right after the other. Then he drinks the pink, and....no damage done!

Riiiiigggght. Like that day of bingeing didn't count somehow.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking-awesome for you! Cut yourself some slack. Stress eating suggestions for my two cents, try to limit it to fat and salt rather than anything with sugar. Like chicken wings and chips. Still delicious and it will fill you up. Big bowl of popcorn with butter if you like it. Cut out the sugar. Sugar just makes you want more sugar! Go to bed early...and good luck! Now someone please motivate me to get off my *kitten* and walk 10,000 steps. Sigh...
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking.

For cravings, I find that rather than quantity I'm looking for strong taste. While I'm not a fan of sugar substitutes or stevia I find it to be super strong therefore it can help me curb a craving for sugar. My go-to, crystal Peach tea. For salt cravings I drink low sodium v8. Usually it keeps me from eating a ton and has little calories.

Then there are days where I just go with it, max I eat is 1000 calories over. Next two days at the gym, exhausting! Lol
  • megslegs1928x
    megslegs1928x Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!! One of the best things to do for yourself!! :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do some breathing exercises each day. After a few weeks, you can do it to help you focus and get more centered:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxbdx-SeOOo&list=PLhiNtEBsgk1SYY72OgPH1THLzRMZaGTyX&index=1&t=85s
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    1) I keep a number of low-calorie snacks on-hand. Veggie dogs, string cheese, Skinny-Pop popcorn, and Quaker Corn Squares cereal, mostly. And taking the box/bag to have by my chair is a big no-no. I measure out a portion (or grab a dog or piece of cheese) and log it.

2) Exercise is a huge stress reliever.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Exercise works for me. Putting on some loud, angry music and lifting weights or running makes it all kind of fade into the background.
  • ThatBillGuy1984
    Options
    These are all really great ideas