Low carbs, keto and insulin

Options
kcspm
kcspm Posts: 43 Member
Could anyone explain to me the interaction between ketones and insulin? I used to be pre diabetic and now I have cut all carbs and sugars. Will that hinder a healthy production of insulin? How can I effectively train my body to produce the right amount of insulin? Is it detrimental that I consume carbs for that? Thank you. Feel free to add me for accountability!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider asking your question again in this group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There are some very knowledgeable folks there.
  • kcspm
    Options
    Thank you
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kcspm wrote: »
    Could anyone explain to me the interaction between ketones and insulin? I used to be pre diabetic and now I have cut all carbs and sugars. Will that hinder a healthy production of insulin? How can I effectively train my body to produce the right amount of insulin? Is it detrimental that I consume carbs for that? Thank you. Feel free to add me for accountability!

As far as I know, no it won't hurt insulin production. You will still be producing insulin to deal with glucose in the body, just not as much as before.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kcspm wrote: »

It won't be detrimental to consume carbs, but you should be aware of what you are eating (especially since you aren't a diabetic but at a higher risk). Consuming carbs in conjunction with fats, protein and fiber all slow absorption which will limit the impact of insulin/BG. Also, adding in exercise can improve insulin sensitivity, which will allow your body to utilize carbs in a more effective manner.
  • kcspm
    Options
    Thank you @psuLemon I'm exercising twice a day everyday. So I should be ok. I was just concerned that if I'm consuming so little carbs that I may instigate ketoacidosis.
  • kcspm
    Options
    Thank you @geordielass40 that's the clarification I was looking for. I didn't know of by producing too much ketones I could get ketoacidosis