Advice on body pain and aches after exercise please.

I have been on MFP for almost 4 years. Lost 50 lb and all going well. But weight creeping back on so I am back on MFP and my combined Cardio /Resistance / Lifting program that I love. But having problems with pain after my workout. I started of very easy, doing it step by step but I always end up with terrible all over body aches and pain the next day. Had the same problem 4 yrs ago then just thought I had to work through it. Now not sure. I feel like someone beats me up (gently) from top to toe. Yes, I supplement, stretch, hydrate and sleep. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

BTW. I am 44, take Multi Vit, Vit C, D, B12 and probiotics.

Replies

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Ice your body down after you workout/Soak in a tub of COLD water. You'll thank yourself later. Good luck!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Muscles get sore after a workout. Eventually it gets better. Unless you thinking you're doing something wrong form wise, or you feel tweaked rather than muscle soreness, keep on exercising. Don't work the same muscle group two days in a row if you're lifting. Active rest like a nice walk can also make it feel better.
  • mialexander
    mialexander Posts: 1 Member
    Soak in bath with eps in salt and lavender oil night after work out
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Sip BCAAs before, during, and after your workouts. I measure the amount and then dilute it to stretch out over about 5 hours (of water-sipping) to cover all workouts, in between time, and immediate post workout. Be sure to get one that's 2:1:1 and avoid ones with added stuff like caffeine. Try Nutricost BCAA. Good Price, no weird ingredients, and you can choose pure (no flavor or sweetener) or flavored. It has vastly reduced my soreness and muscle fatigue whether cardio or strength.

It'll take about a week before it really helps, but it helps power your muscles through workouts, too which means you could hold form better (less chance of unintended sore spots/small injuries).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I started of very easy, doing it step by step but I always end up with terrible all over body aches and pain the next day.

Start off doing less. One set per muscle group the 1st workout, 2 sets the 2nd, etc. :+1:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I can relate. I seem to have lower back pain when I'm done.
  • brendacampos
    brendacampos Posts: 5 Member
    Acupuncture!!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I have been on MFP for almost 4 years. Lost 50 lb and all going well. But weight creeping back on so I am back on MFP and my combined Cardio /Resistance / Lifting program that I love. But having problems with pain after my workout. I started of very easy, doing it step by step but I always end up with terrible all over body aches and pain the next day. Had the same problem 4 yrs ago then just thought I had to work through it. Now not sure. I feel like someone beats me up (gently) from top to toe. Yes, I supplement, stretch, hydrate and sleep. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

if its actual pain see your dr and see if something is causing it. if its soreness its normal.maybe you are having electrolyte issues? get low on magnesium?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Good luck. While you do acclimate to exercise over time, if you're pushing yourself you are going to end up with at least moderate soreness/tightness following a tough workout. Honestly the only thing that really helps is getting back to it again.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I've found that doing intense cardio first and then doing lifting when my muscles are really warmed up from the cardio seems to help prevent delayed soreness. Previously I was doing them in alternate sessions, but combining the two seems to give me better results. I read somewhere (can't remember where, sorry) that there's a scientific reason for this having something to do with byproducts of exercise, but darned if I can remember it well enough to explain it!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    enough protein? i'm one of the people who find bcaa's helpful as someone else mentioned.

but extra protein also helps. and sometimes, eating an orange afterwards too. vitamin c is a big deal for connective tissue repair, so.
  • Decten1988
    Decten1988 Posts: 13 Member
    Use ice pack, do some stretching or go for a message .
  • Decten1988
    Decten1988 Posts: 13 Member
    I mean *massage
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Generalized muscle soreness is to be expected but lower back pain speaks to a problem.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    soreness and pain should not be recognized as being the same or even close.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

What you're describing is generalized soreness.. you may be overdoing it..just a little, or it may just be DOMS.

If it's not localized, and it passes after a few minutes to a few hours of activity... it's likely DOMS. Two things you can do... 1 ease off 2 power through.

How easy is very easy, how often are you doing it... and are you getting at least 2 sleep cycles between workouts involving the same general body area... and If you're doing sprints the day after leg day, that counts as the same body area. Light recovery running after leg day is ok.. burnout sprints or intervals isn't
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Acupuncture!!!

This will make me sound nuts, but for similar results at home, I've been using an acupressure mat at home for 2 years and cannot live a day without it. It's like a plastic "bed of nails" attached to a mat you just roll out and lay on. I use it for an hour before bed. Throw it on the floor to watch Netflix or whatever and it really relieves tension (reducing pain) and is relaxing, too.

Using it for a short time in the morning gives me great energy. They're all over Amazon now for cheap, but I like "Spoonk" brand because they throw in a travel size mat, too (I use it as a neck pillow rolled up when I'm on the mat). It helps my Sciatica a lot, but helps soreness and tension, too.
  • eelvek22
    eelvek22 Posts: 3 Member
    Take a bath with Epson salt, baking soda and 10 drops of lavender. This work wonders for me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i've had good results from various things, so even my own mileage has varied depending on what the specific issue was at a specific time. here's my list:

- bcaa's during workouts do seem to cut down the doms afterwards. i take them extremely sparingly though, so idk whether there's any benefit to making them a consistent thing. i've never been tempted, myself. they're more like my version of taking an anti-inflammatory every now and again, i.e. when i already know before i start that it's going to be bad when i'm done.

- eating things that grew on trees. that's basically my rule, for post-workout. oranges seem to help, which probably speaks to my personal levels of vitamin c since c is one of the factors in connective-tissue maintenance.

- magnesium sometimes. calcium sometimes. another thing i don't make a daily habit of, but i do take the magnesium in particular for cramping. i kind of tag-team these two.

- fish oil. my trainer's rule of thumb made me laugh. he said 'start with a low dose and keep adding more unti you get the *kitten*. then dial it back down until you don't.' either way, one or both out of fish oil and glucosamine help with general well-being too.

and of course, protein. if i'm in doubt or i'm nervous, i sometimes take a second shake before bedtime.