Weightloss Plateau from over exercising and under eating

Options
I started the keto diet in the middle of April and lost about 8 pounds then I wasn't hungry very much due to my body running off of the fat that I was eating. But then my over the top husband and I started running and I started gaining weight instead of losing it. And now my body is stuck in this no matter how little I eat it won't let me lose anymore weight! Please help! I need all of the advice I can get!

Replies

• alissaficara
    alissaficara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If running is the first type if exercise you've experienced in a while, especially since starting the new diet, it could be muscle mass you're gaining and not fat that's making the scale go up. I'd focus more on how you feel and look as opposed to the scale. The scale can be your worst enemy at times.
  • gretchendenio
    gretchendenio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How long ago did you start running? Was that when you weight loss stalled?

For the record, undereating will not cause you to plateau, but it can cause other serious health issues.

Kind of it was about 2 weeks after when I started gaining instead of losing. I'm sure that some of it was water but not 5.7 lbs

I wasn't under eating on purpose. I was Either too tired from the running or full from all of the fat you consume on Keto

• gretchendenio
    Options
    If running is the first type if exercise you've experienced in a while, especially since starting the new diet, it could be muscle mass you're gaining and not fat that's making the scale go up. I'd focus more on how you feel and look as opposed to the scale. The scale can be your worst enemy at times.

I could not agree more! I hate that scale! It scared me into thinking that my body was in starvation mode or something???

• gretchendenio
    Options
    I eat around 1200 to 1400 calories a day lately and all that I have done is maintain...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How long ago did you start running? Was that when you weight loss stalled?

For the record, undereating will not cause you to plateau, but it can cause other serious health issues.

Kind of it was about 2 weeks after when I started gaining instead of losing. I'm sure that some of it was water but not 5.7 lbs

I wasn't under eating on purpose. I was Either too tired from the running or full from all of the fat you consume on Keto

It's possible, especially if it coincided with the hormones in your cycle.

How are you measuring your intake?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also if you are overexercising and undereating you are stressing your body,which can increase cortisol and cause other issues-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3079864/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal to retain water when you start exercising.

Also, keto screams 'inaccurate logging' to me because you can never know how much fat your pieces of meat have... so it's pretty easy to underestimate your calories (coming from someone who avoids steak because a tiny chunk of fat can mean a difference of 30 calories).
  • lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    An important factor (for me at least) is to also STAY HYDRATED. When I exercise, eat right, but don't get my 8-10 glasses of water in, my body will hold onto that water (sometimes up to 5 lbs) that will drive up the scale. Are you drinking enough water during the day and after you run? On days I work out HARD I try to get 6-7 glasses water throughout the day before I work out in the evening; then top off after working out/eating dinner with the remaining 2 glasses or so.
  • ClaireAlgar2015
    ClaireAlgar2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place, I run 3 times a
    Week 2-3 miles and weights 2/3 times a week, I'm tracking food and "think" I'm
    Eating well but the scales are up by 6/7 lbs I'm so disheartened
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?

I used to run a lot and always guesstimated my portions. Running made me so damn hungry I never lost.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never been a runner asnd never will be, but still....going from nothing to running daily and no other exercises could be your body already adjusted since it's just ONE vigorous exercise. But lots of people have "whoosh" weight. I know I do. Lose nothing for 2 weeks (or more) and see my weight hover at the "same" or more....then wake up one day 3 or 4 lbs lighter. And when it stays that way, you know it's lost for sure.

You may have either shocked your body with such a vigorous choice in exercise and it's holding all of the fat and water it can....or you need variety. I'd guess the latter. Try to balance cardio with pure strength training. Even if it's body weight exercises. Even lower, slower burn exercise like PiYo or Pilates (maybe Hot Yoga) would compliment your high-impact runs.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh out all of your foods? If not, I recommend doing so, as guesstimating or even using measuring cups can still cause your calorie count to be off.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Are you at time of month? I gain easy 5 to 8 lbs at time of month
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP. I see no mention of calories. How many calories are you consuming (please post your stats: age, height, current weight, goal weight). Also, how are you determining the calories (measuring cups/spoons, estimating, dividing, food scale)?
    No, not muscle mass.

Well, I've never been a runner asnd never will be, but still....going from nothing to running daily and no other exercises could be your body already adjusted since it's just ONE vigorous exercise. But lots of people have "whoosh" weight. I know I do. Lose nothing for 2 weeks (or more) and see my weight hover at the "same" or more....then wake up one day 3 or 4 lbs lighter. And when it stays that way, you know it's lost for sure.

You may have either shocked your body with such a vigorous choice in exercise and it's holding all of the fat and water it can....or you need variety. I'd guess the latter. Try to balance cardio with pure strength training. Even if it's body weight exercises. Even lower, slower burn exercise like PiYo or Pilates (maybe Hot Yoga) would compliment your high-impact runs.

No. The body won't hold onto fat because it is shocked.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Ugh

You are not gaining muscle mass in a deficit.

Not from cardio anyway