Continue with crossfit or switch to Orange theory???

Options
That's is the big question! I've been doing crossfit for 5 years and we are getting an Orange Theory soon in our town... decisions decisions!!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem like much of a decision for me. (Crossfit fan)
    But are you happy with your results from doing crossfit? That should answer the question for you.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've done both, they are 2 different types of workouts, so not really interchangeable in my opinion. If you feel like you want to try something new then try something new. Crossfit is shorter and more strength based, working towards specific goals such as progressing your deadlift, row time etc etc. OTF is longer and more endurance based. You're not really working on mastering any movements or lifts, just getting the biggest calorie burn in the allotted time. Lots more running in OTF.
  • jewels03
    jewels03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I've done both, they are 2 different types of workouts, so not really interchangeable in my opinion. If you feel like you want to try something new then try something new. Crossfit is shorter and more strength based, working towards specific goals such as progressing your deadlift, row time etc etc. OTF is longer and more endurance based. You're not really working on mastering any movements or lifts, just getting the biggest calorie burn in the allotted time. Lots more running in OTF.

100% this. They're completely different workouts. If you're looking for a little change, try out Orange Theory. I've been doing Orange Theory, but I've been considering switching over to Crossfit when I'm ready to focus more on strength training.
  • vageena1020
    vageena1020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Neither. Both too $$$ for my liking and your local gym has all that you need. Well, unless you need someone telling you good job for pushing yourself and yelling at you on ocasion to push harder. I need neither of those, so I spend $20/m and do what I like, a bit of crossfit like exercises here, a bit of hard HIT session here, and so on.

What? Crossfit comes with a lot one on one with a certified coach. It's very easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing at a "globogym". Most employees there have no clue on how to train, nor do they get paid enough to care. Personally, I like to be able to grab whatever weights I want without having to wait for them. There is literally no space to do some serious weightlifting without being overly conscious of other people near you.

OP- if you like Crossfit, stick with it. I love watching myself progress and get better. I have a few friends that do Orange Theory and have seen amazing results. With Orange Theory, it's a lot of endurance training and cardio, excellent for burning fat. But if you're like me and into heavy weightlifting, stick with Crossfit.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love OTF but I am a runner...I like endurance. :-) It's an amazing workout and never boring--I've been doing it since one of the very first studios opened in S. FLorida 4 years ago and I take classes with the OTF founder, Ellen, who has her own gym near where I live. The "undulated training" never allows you to rest and constantly challenges you to work towards your "uncomfortable" zones with pushes and all outs. It's probably not as focused on strength training as CrossFit, but there's enough going on with weights, TRX straps and burpees/push ups etc. that you're developing the strength you need to protect your body from injury when running or cycling. (Again, runner bias on this one.) In the 4 years I've been doing OTF, I have (1) Shaved 10 minutes off my half marathon PR and (2) not had a single running related injury, while in previous years getting 'runner's knee,' plantar fascitis and other overuse injuries happened every single year.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate that both options are fairly expensive. For myself I have one main gym that falls into the same price category and then I just supplement with Classpass, Groupon, etc., or drop in packages for other gyms/activities that I still want to do without committing to full memberships at those facilities.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

What? Crossfit comes with a lot one on one with a certified coach. It's very easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing at a "globogym". Most employees there have no clue on how to train, nor do they get paid enough to care. Personally, I like to be able to grab whatever weights I want without having to wait for them. There is literally no space to do some serious weightlifting without being overly conscious of other people near you.

None of this is characteristic of my "globogym"

But I have friends who do Orange Theory and love it. I dont know anyone that prefers one over the other.

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that both options are fairly expensive. For myself I have one main gym that falls into the same price category and then I just supplement with Classpass, Groupon, etc., or drop in packages for other gyms/activities that I still want to do without committing to full memberships at those facilities.

That's actually a great option. Do XF or OTF have any rules against Classpass?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    In my area there are quite a few Crossfit gyms on Classpass. Orange Theory is not on the list but other similar boutique gyms in town offer similar workouts.
    VegasFit wrote: »

That's actually a great option. Do XF or OTF have any rules against Classpass?

In my area there are quite a few Crossfit gyms on Classpass. Orange Theory is not on the list but other similar boutique gyms in town offer similar workouts. Orange Theory is just a cardio, resistance circuit in my opinion,

• Sheil813
    Sheil813 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing OTF for over a year and I love it - yes it is expensive but it is never the same class, always working different muscles! I did just find an app that i am going to try though - called Aaptiv - it is 9.99 a month and suppose to help you train on your own... I can pay $35 for a gym membership and another $10 to get help - if it works I may cancel OTF.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Neither. Both too $$$ for my liking and your local gym has all that you need. Well, unless you need someone telling you good job for pushing yourself and yelling at you on ocasion to push harder. I need neither of those, so I spend $20/m and do what I like, a bit of crossfit like exercises here, a bit of hard HIT session here, and so on.

OP- if you like Crossfit, stick with it. I love watching myself progress and get better. I have a few friends that do Orange Theory and have seen amazing results. With Orange Theory, it's a lot of endurance training and cardio, excellent for burning fat. But if you're like me and into heavy weightlifting, stick with Crossfit.

based on some of the crofffit videos I am seeing they might need some new "coaches"....

I would second neither.

get on a good structured lifting program and hit up your local gym...

what is orange theory?
  • rybo
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

based on some of the crofffit videos I am seeing they might need some new "coaches"....

I would second neither.

what is orange theory?

Because everything posted on the Internet is how it is in real life.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I would second neither.

what is orange theory?

when it is coming form the crossfit games, I assume it is...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I would second neither.

what is orange theory?

I assume you are referencing the fact that in excess of 1/3 of the "top male" competitors has dropped out of this years event due to injury?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would second neither.

what is orange theory?

I assume you are referencing the fact that in excess of 1/3 of the "top male" competitors has dropped out of this years event due to injury?

No, I was not aware of that.

I just noticed some pretty bad form when watching some of those games and some other videos that cross fit puts out..

is that a legit stat?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/crossfit-regionals-saw-36-pectoral-tears-year-went-wrong-194942403.html

1/3 may not be the correct stat, but my Newsfeed was blowing up last month.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When the OrangeTheory gym opens you can always go to a trial class and see if you like it. With that said though you'll get better prices on membership if you sign up before they open.

CrossFit just doesn't look like a good fit for me but I love OrangeThreory. I guess it just depends on what you like.
  • rybo
    Options

I would second neither.

what is orange theory?

Let me guess, they were kipping...oh the horror!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would second neither.

what is orange theory?

Let me guess, they were kipping...oh the horror!

nope..

deadlifting with rounded backs....