How do I get my veggies in

Options
Hey guys I need some advice on how to get veggies in my diet. I mean some days I go without veggies at all. There are only a few that I like and I eat salads simply to get some veggies in. Help needed please.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    just eat them
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    just eat them

This. Go out and buy some, make a salad, put them in a pasta dish or casserole, look for veggie recipes. If you really hate veggies, check out the book Deceptively Delicious. They have recipes which use veggie puree hidden in everyday foods (even brownies!)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You can always try a vegetable enema. But I prefer taking my vegetables orally.
  • nguyenedward
    nguyenedward Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I honestly just eat them. Like that one saying, "If it tastes good, spit it out."

Or maybe you can try drinking a V8 juice or something to get in your veggies. However, I prefer eating them fresh!
  • wan2b_fatfree
    Options
    u have to be creative... I am not a veggie person either, especially raw. I like to throw a few diced green peppers and mushrooms in some egg whites/cheese and make a healthy omlet. Or add lettuce/tomato/onions,etc to every sandwich/wrap you eat. make a side salad with your dinner to replace sum carbs or make your whole meal 2 cups of field greens with salad spritzer, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You could try v8 splash.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Adding different vegetables to pasta is an easy way to add them to food you're already eating - or stir-fry over brown rice. Make sure your sandwiches are piled high with veg. Snack on some carrots, celery, pepper strips and hummus.
  • jayers2
    jayers2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a good way, throw in some spinach and you can't even taste it. v8 juice is pretty good too. Also each time you go to the grocery store, pick out one new veggie to try and maybe you can find something you like better.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? Vegetable soup is a great way to get vegetables in... and if you like it blended you can't even tell they're there :D

As a snack you could make some pepper slices, some carrot sticks and some cucumber slices and dip them in some hummus... I find that a really tasty snack.

If you're having rice, why not throw in some peas and sweetcorn and diced carrot... you can easily get a portion in there and it also spans your rice out further.

Veggie omlettes are another good option I find, I just throw in peppers, spinach, mushrooms - whatever you fancy really and then throw in the egg mix and when it's cooked underneath pop under the grill so it is almost like a souflee omlette. You can always put meat in there too if you don't want it just veggies.

To be honest I find it hard to leave veggies OUT of my diet... I love them.

Hope this helps! H :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You could try v8 splash.

Just a small correction, but if I remember correctly, V8 Fusion is actually the one that is 100% juice. Not Splash. I made that mistake much to my disappointment once before, and found Splash only has like 10% juice.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    just eat them

Yes, this.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    just eat them
    duplicate post! Sorry!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't learn to eat vegetables, your weight is going to continue to be a problem. As adults, we have to do a lot of things we don't necessarily like.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    just eat them
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I try adding a cup at least into most of my meals. I used to not eat veggies as much, but since living on my own, I always cook with onions. For most dinners in the past, I've made veggie medleys, (like onions, diced peppers and corn) as side dishes. if you find ways to make them tasty, you'll probably eat them more! give it a try =]
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I cook them in everything, When I make mashed potatoes, I sneak in some cauliflower, when I make speghetti, I sneak in every veggie I can think of that will taste good with it, spinach, bell peppers, onions, extra tomatos, squash. You name it, I have put it in my pasta sauce.
    I also (as disgusting as it sounds) put broccli in my brownies, and squash in my carrot cake. You just have to play with it and see what works for you..
  • destiny150
    destiny150 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thank you all for the real quick responses. Some were very good advice and others well, Oh well it's life.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Soup is an awesome way to add veggies. The lentil soup I make has a serving of vegetables in addition to all the tasty lentils

Tomato sauce is a vegetable..... it's even more of a vegetable when you hide more veggies in it. spinach goes well in tomato sauce.

When you cook your eggs, add some peppers and onions

make vegetarian vegetable chili... Beans, tomatoes and whatever vegetables you want to put in it.... after cooking in all the chili seasoning, it all tastes like chili instead of vegetables.

babaganoush is a fabulous middle-eastern dip made out of roasted eggplant (it's like hummus but it uses eggplant instead of the garbanzos)

Add delicious homemade salsa to everything.

consider juicing.

As you get used to veg you should start trying them straight. You have to cook them right... try roasting instead of boiling them into oblivion. Also, although it adds calories, a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil can make a huge difference when it comes to flavor..... If you're trying bitter vegetables squeeze a little lemon juice on them

You don't have to sit down to a huge bowl of cauliflower in order to "eat your vegetables" Just add some here and there to whatever you're cooking and you'll get used to them. I used to dislike vegetables and this is the method I used and now I look forward to eating them and trying new veggies and cooking them in a variety of ways.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Look up all cauliflower recipes they're AWESOME you can do miracle masshies, someone in recipes posted a pizza crust with riced cauliflour, I just grill/roast mine and they are so good even my picky picky 16 year old (15 when she first tried them) likes them. Oven to 425, brush with evoo, salt pepper and you're gtg. Mix some broccoli in its great , and red onions!!!! Cripsy crunch n munch

Just be creative, there's some misconception that veggies are boring but I can tell you the BEST restaurants I go to KNOW how to cook a veggie and make it taste better than any steak.

Also in your lean ground beef and turkey, I used to when my daguther was a lot younger, sneak her veggies in by grinding up carrots and mixing them into the ground beef/turkey. You can't even tell it's there.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Just be creative, there's some misconception that veggies are boring but I can tell you the BEST restaurants I go to KNOW how to cook a veggie and make it taste better than any steak.

Whoa now lets not go crazy here - the yummiest restaurant veggies are pretty yummy but a lot of them include butter and even when they don't I don't think you can compare them to a really really good steak. - I like to have some of each personally - lets say they are EQUALLY good. Not better.