Leg fatigue ?

Options
I've been doing a bootcamp about 3-4 times per week and even when I took a week off my thighs and calves are fatigued.. always. I don't feel sore but when I start to do a leg exercise it's like they are so stiff and they almost burn right away and can't do as many reps as normal. Any suggestions or input?

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you do any stretching afterwards? Or take walks in between workouts? Do you do a warm up before the work out?
  • amandamdouglas462
    amandamdouglas462 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Do you do any stretching afterwards? Or take walks in between workouts? Do you do a warm up before the work out?

We do a warmup and I stretch a little bit after but probably not enough. I take walks with my double stroller but not consistently. It just started happening to me and I've been doing the camp for about 8 weeks now
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Could be DOMS, could be stretching, could be low dietary protein.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Are you doing leg exercises in addition to the bootcamps or are you referring to the exercises in the classes?

It's hard to say, as stated above there's a lot of variables. Are you dieting? You may be pooping out if you're on a cut. Some of those boot camp classes are TOUGH full body workouts. I would keep it to 2-3x a week for now (assuming it's your only workout). Get adequate protein, drink lots of water, take some walks on your off days. Be sure you're not undereating.

If you're lifting in addition to the bootcamps, it would be helpful if you post all of your exercise.
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    I don't think I'm undereating, I'm eating healthy foods and need to eat enough so I don't lose my supply as I'm still nursing my 4 month old and think maybe it has something to do with that. My only exercise is the bootcamp and walking with double stroller. I am very heavy compared to what my body is used to pre pregnancy and having two back to back and maybe it is that also? But this problem seems to be getting worse with the leg fatigue and i would think it would get better as I get stronger?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I don't think I'm undereating, I'm eating healthy foods and need to eat enough so I don't lose my supply as I'm still nursing my 4 month old and think maybe it has something to do with that. My only exercise is the bootcamp and walking with double stroller. I am very heavy compared to what my body is used to pre pregnancy and having two back to back and maybe it is that also? But this problem seems to be getting worse with the leg fatigue and i would think it would get better as I get stronger?

Has your doctor approved you being in the bootcamp workouts.

As I recall... my wife was recommended to avoid heavy exertion for 6 or 8 months.

You may want to ease back in.
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options

Has your doctor approved you being in the bootcamp workouts.

As I recall... my wife was recommended to avoid heavy exertion for 6 or 8 months.

You may want to ease back in.

I talked to my midwife and she's aware I'm doing a bootcamp but you're probably right about waiting a couple more months. I'm getting a lot of knee pain as well. All I want is to get back into good shape because I'm done having children and want to feel good
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    It's also kind of a mental break to get away from the kids for a little and relieve some stress so I would hate to drop 1-2 camps per week :(
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's also kind of a mental break to get away from the kids for a little and relieve some stress so I would hate to drop 1-2 camps per week :(

If you need to ease back maybe do yoga or something lighter/easier for a while until you're ready for bootcamps? That way you get a break and still get some exercise. Then when you're ready, go back to kicking butt!!

Also, if your body wasn't ready and you were overdoing it (back to back days, jumping into exercise too soon) you will not get stronger, and the fatigue WILL get worse. So what is happening to you completely makes sense!!
  • stanmann571
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

If you need to ease back maybe do yoga or something lighter/easier for a while until you're ready for bootcamps? That way you get a break and still get some exercise. Then when you're ready, go back to kicking butt!!

Also, if your body wasn't ready and you were overdoing it (back to back days, jumping into exercise too soon) you will not get stronger, and the fatigue WILL get worse. So what is happening to you completely makes sense!!

Remember, and I learned this the hard way... when you've had a break, you can't just pick right back up where you left off... your mind will let you, your body will let you... for a while... and then Boom pow. the train comes. and honestly, fatigue is the least bad thing that can happen. I aggravated my knees and popped a pec.
  • saraichka
    saraichka Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am having similar issues (and am also nursing a 3 month old). I assume it is because my legs aren't used to working so hard with the added weight. However, if you have been doing your boot camp for several weeks it seems that your legs should be getting stronger. Unfortunately there seem to be just as many ailments post-partum as when you're pregnant! I would mention the leg pain to your midwife. She probably has some thoughts on the matter... you may also want to mention it to your boot camp instructor to see if he has seen this before with other individuals. Bottom line, you're not alone, and I keep reminding myself that I will be just as strong as I was before having my kiddo. It just takes time (and perseverance!).
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Yes you're right, the place I go to has a daycare but yoga sounds like a great idea at home so I can tone my dealer muscles maybe and stretch. I always forget how much I love yoga until I do it again!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i lift and am also a bike commuter. i've always found that i can still ride the day after a lifting workout, but my legs often feel 'heavy' compared with when i've had an extra day's worth of rest.

i've always explained it to myself as the glycogen thing. you use up glycogen from your muscles when you work out, and your metabolism takes a certain amount of time to replace it for you. during the time that it's doing that, my legs tend to feel 'tired' in a very distinct kind of way. i can still feel strong, is the strange thign. i just don't seem to have as much zip.
  • cherrypalmosa
    cherrypalmosa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not pretty sure though the reason behind your leg fatigue. Maybe one reason is you did not perform enough warm up exercises beforehand and your muscles was not able to adjust in the repetitions when you've done leg exercises. One thing I want to add also, maybe you lack protein in your diet and you may consider taking supplements that best supports those people with low dietary protein intake.
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    saraichka wrote: »
    I am having similar issues (and am also nursing a 3 month old). I assume it is because my legs aren't used to working so hard with the added weight. However, if you have been doing your boot camp for several weeks it seems that your legs should be getting stronger. Unfortunately there seem to be just as many ailments post-partum as when you're pregnant! I would mention the leg pain to your midwife. She probably has some thoughts on the matter... you may also want to mention it to your boot camp instructor to see if he has seen this before with other individuals. Bottom line, you're not alone, and I keep reminding myself that I will be just as strong as I was before having my kiddo. It just takes time (and perseverance!).
    Yes, it's just hard and I have to come to terms that I won't be today or tomorrow that I'll be fit, im going to have to ride it out and it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling but trying so hard and going in circles is very frustrating when you're overweight and aren't used to being that way but good luck to you!
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    i lift and am also a bike commuter. i've always found that i can still ride the day after a lifting workout, but my legs often feel 'heavy' compared with when i've had an extra day's worth of rest.

i've always explained it to myself as the glycogen thing. you use up glycogen from your muscles when you work out, and your metabolism takes a certain amount of time to replace it for you. during the time that it's doing that, my legs tend to feel 'tired' in a very distinct kind of way. i can still feel strong, is the strange thign. i just don't seem to have as much zip.

Hm that is something to to think about, do you think on the week I only worked out once they would have recovered? I'm definitely new to having this problem so have I clue ! Can the glycogen take a week to come back, maybe I went to hard the previous week?
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    I'm not pretty sure though the reason behind your leg fatigue. Maybe one reason is you did not perform enough warm up exercises beforehand and your muscles was not able to adjust in the repetitions when you've done leg exercises. One thing I want to add also, maybe you lack protein in your diet and you may consider taking supplements that best supports those people with low dietary protein intake.
    We do a pretty good warm up with some sort of cardio like jumping jacks and jogging for about 7 minutes. I always have a protein shake after working out and have really made an effort to try and eat more protein but maybe I've really been slacking and I know nursing requires extra protein as well
  • amandamdouglas462
    Options
    Someone mentioned to me that I might need to buy new shoes. Anyone know of any good shoes for exercises like jump squats, lunges, jogging, not so much heavy weights but moderate lifting scenarios, bosu ball, etc.? I've been having a lot of knee pain as well especially with the lunges any advice on a good supportive shoe?
  • kieranar
    kieranar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need a stretching routing pre and post exercise , also look at taking protein shake or protein bar an hour after intense exercise
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Someone mentioned to me that I might need to buy new shoes. Anyone know of any good shoes for exercises like jump squats, lunges, jogging, not so much heavy weights but moderate lifting scenarios, bosu ball, etc.? I've been having a lot of knee pain as well especially with the lunges any advice on a good supportive shoe?

no support.. go barefoot.