What is .2 equivalent to?

Options
I promise I'm not THAT stupid! Lol! But I keep coming across .2 as a measurement and it seems unclear if it means half??? My common sense tells me .5 is half. So what the heck exactly is .2? Thanks!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It usually means a quarter.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    One fifth
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It usually means a quarter.

A quarter would be .25. .2 would be a fifth.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Technically 0.2 is 1/5. But I think some user-created entries intended to be 0.25 (1/4) end up truncated at 0.2.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    When I log .25 (1/4) of something, it displays in my diary page as .2 (1/5). But .75 (3/4) displays as .8 (4/5). I always feel the need to go back in and check that it's just rounding and is still counting accurately toward my goal.

:-/
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP tends to round UP, so if you enter 0.25, it will go to 0.3. But technically, yes...0.2 is 1/5.
  • monicaeve113
    monicaeve113 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is what is throwing me...
    Where it shows .2 in MFP but the packaging says a serving is 1/4 cup. The info coming in to MFP is from a scanned barcode.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For me .2 has always turned out to be a truncated .25, I've never had MFP round up for me.
  • monicaeve113
    Options
    Here is the package
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It's just rounding - does the .2 match the calories for 1/4 cup?
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a .2 in the image?
    Using a measuring cup for cashews isn't a good idea. You're better off Googling "calories in raw cashews USDA," finding an answer in grams, and then weighing and logging them in grams.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I know that 0.2 is a fifth, but when I've seen it come up in the database it's titling a serving for a 1/4 cup per the package. I don't know why it doesn't say 0.25.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    as it pertains to real estate, .2 is half. For example, if a listing says "4 bed, 2.2 bath" that would be 2 1/2 bathrooms. I think it's weird. I don't know why .5 isn't used.
  • pkeiter42
    pkeiter42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There's a strange rule about rounding numbers. In this case, .25 would round to .2 because the 2 is even and the .75 rounds to .8 because 7 is odd. I don't recall the origin of the rule. I do remember learning it a long time ago, thinking it seemed arbitrary then. Still seems that way.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    pkeiter42 wrote: »
    There's a strange rule about rounding numbers. In this case, .25 would round to .2 because the 2 is even and the .75 rounds to .8 because 7 is odd. I don't recall the origin of the rule. I do remember learning it a long time ago, thinking it seemed arbitrary then. Still seems that way.

It is called the bankers rule, or round to even. rounding up was the old way of rounding, but that overtime would never balance out. if up sometimes down others, in theory, over time the ups and downs would even out
  • monicaeve113
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling confident .2 is equivalent to 1/4 and the 5 is just being dropped off.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I would find an entry that has gram measurements instead.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    This is what is throwing me...
    Where it shows .2 in MFP but the packaging says a serving is 1/4 cup. The info coming in to MFP is from a scanned barcode.

With something so high calorie, you're better off weighing the cashews on a digital food scale in grams.. cups/spoons are for liquids.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It is a quarter!!! For example a quarter cup, .25