Stress/Work Wind-Down Eating

I don't know if anyone else struggles with this, but for me my weakest time is right when I come home from work. I own my own startup and we are growing extremely fast, so I am constantly extremely busy. While at work, I don't have a problem - I don't get hungry and I'm not tempted by food. But when I get home (usually after 12 hours of working), food is kind of my stress reliever. I'm both emotionally and physically exhausted, so the last thing I want to do is take a walk or exercise, etc. Anyone else struggle with this? Any tips, recommendations, thoughts?

Thank you!

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Same boat and like it or not, walking really helps you wind down. Luckily, I happen to like it. But if you really just want to eat, have something prepped and ready for when you walk in the door. My go-to is a large bowl of melon and berries or a mixed veggie bowl with broccoli, diced peppers, black beans and a sprinkle of walnuts with some siracha. Takes the edge off until you can make a legit dinner and either are about 200 cals.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Finding a low cal high volume food to keep your hands busy would be a good idea. Pistachios are really low cal, but they do keep your hands busy! A low cal high volume veggie I like to go for in cauliflower. You can steam a bunch for less than 100 cal. I totally get the post work munchies too, so I also balance my calories so I can eat a lot in the evening.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    I'm awful on Friday nights, I feel your pain! During the week though I get home and either get in my workout gear and get some exercise done or I get into some comfy clothes and immediately cook a healthy dinner. If I sit down to relax it's dangerous!
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    I have the same problem. What I have found helpful is to avoid pouring that glass of wine (my other impulse when I get home) since it would also lower eating inhibitions. I also find that I can eat cheese and crackers nonstop but will not overeat with something like an apple or an orange.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    I usually allow myself to indulge on Friday nights and get a takeaway or something, so I have something to look forward to during my work week. Do you usually work late? My shift usually finishes at 8pm, and I don't get home until 9pm. I used to have dinner once I got home and I'd be starving so I'd stuff my face with everything. I've recently started eating my dinner at work which I find has really helped stave off cravings when I get home. When I do get home I might have a small amount of dark chocolate or tea and a biscuit, but I haven't really had those cravings this week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I don't know if anyone else struggles with this, but for me my weakest time is right when I come home from work. I own my own startup and we are growing extremely fast, so I am constantly extremely busy. While at work, I don't have a problem - I don't get hungry and I'm not tempted by food. But when I get home (usually after 12 hours of working), food is kind of my stress reliever. I'm both emotionally and physically exhausted, so the last thing I want to do is take a walk or exercise, etc. Anyone else struggle with this? Any tips, recommendations, thoughts?

Thank you!

Maybe you're not getting enough to eat while at work? Try moving some calories that way. See if something simple like a protein bar on the way home helps with your will power at night.

Also, getting some movement at lunchtime really makes a profound affect on my productivity in the afternoon and my energy level at night. I know it can be hard to tear yourself away, but it might behoove you to schedule in some activity at lunch time, even a short walk.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I walk in and start eating raw veggies. I'm super hungry by the time I get home, so I eat and cook dinner and then try to cut out the mindless snacking once I've got a good meal in me.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I started having tea and a huge salad while dinner is cooking. Also, if you can meal prep so you can just reheat dinner while you take a nice relaxing shower (helps me immensely), that could help.
  • suhashmi
    suhashmi Posts: 22 Member
    Prepare a lot of healthy meals on weekend and store in your fridge. Include lean meats and vegetables. Then you can get home and right away eat a healthy dinner and rest and workout later if you feel like