Who is fasting?

Options
husainh215
husainh215 Posts: 4 Member
I am fasting and I al losing a lot of weight. Who else is doing it?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What are the parameters of your fast? How long do you not eat for?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You mean intermittent fasting?
  • kfizza1
    kfizza1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not fasting for Ramadan but doing intermittent fasting.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was doing a 18:6 but fell off the wagon (hard) so I am working my way back up. I would ultimately love to get to a regular 20:4 with a 48 hour fast every 2 weeks or so.
  • Mysty30
    Mysty30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to start fasting? I'm trying to start and stick with a plan I'm logging food and walking 10,000 sometimes more a day but I'm maintaining. I just had a hysterectomy May 15th so I can't lift weights or run yet. I need some motivation, some tips what's working for others. Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar? Please help!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mysty30 wrote: »
    What's the best way to start fasting? I'm trying to start and stick with a plan I'm logging food and walking 10,000 sometimes more a day but I'm maintaining. I just had a hysterectomy May 15th so I can't lift weights or run yet. I need some motivation, some tips what's working for others. Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar? Please help!!

if you are maintaining and want to lose you need to be in a deficit even if you are fasting. fasting doesnt mean you automatically lose weight, you have to be in a deficit for that. its still possible to overeat while doing IF. apple cider vinegar does NOTHING for weight loss.
  • nourhanehab7
    nourhanehab7 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am fasting for Ramadan
  • husainh215
    Options
    Excellent. quit few people. I am fasting for Ramadhan for almost 19 hours per day in the Netherlands. Badically one meal per day! Is that how the intermittent faster doing it too?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    husainh215 wrote: »
    Excellent. quit few people. I am fasting for Ramadhan for almost 19 hours per day in the Netherlands. Badically one meal per day! Is that how the intermittent faster doing it too?

I do intermittent fasting, although not for religious reasons.

I do 16:8 which means I fast for 16 hours and then eat in an 8 hour window each day. I don't eat breakfast, (which I'm generally never hungry for anyway) and have my first meal of the day around 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. Skipping breakfast means I have enough calories for a good lunch and dinner, as well as a few evening snacks.

There's no magic in fasting, btw. Managing weight is all about the amount of calories you consume, not when you consume them. :)
  • nj11c
    nj11c Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When do you guys weigh yourself while fasting? Should it be right before we break fast?
  • Jess9151551
    Jess9151551 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find I feel better and keep weight off easier when I do intermittent fasting.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    nj11c wrote: »
    When do you guys weigh yourself while fasting? Should it be right before we break fast?

weighing at any time should be first thing in the am after you use the bathroom either naked or in your under wear
  • husainh215
    Options

I do 16:8 which means I fast for 16 hours and then eat in an 8 hour window each day. I don't eat breakfast, (which I'm generally never hungry for anyway) and have my first meal of the day around 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. Skipping breakfast means I have enough calories for a good lunch and dinner, as well as a few evening snacks.

There's no magic in fasting, btw. Managing weight is all about the amount of calories you consume, not when you consume them. :)

Interesting. For how many days do you fast? A month or two?
  • husainh215
    Options

weighing at any time should be first thing in the am after you use the bathroom either naked or in your under wear

I weigh myself twice a day wearing underwear. Once in the morning and another one in the evening.

By the way, i noticed that my body resisted weight loss a few days after the initial loss. As a matter if fact i gained weight. Only to be followed by another episode of weight loss. So, your weight loss is definitely not linear. You will have a bumpy curve as you lose weight. But I have to admit that i was a bit disappointed when i first noticed i gained weight. So, keep going no matter what!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Interesting. For how many days do you fast? A month or two?

I am also an Intermittent Faster (16:8) - it's just my nature to want a couple larger meals, to not want to eat first thing in the morning, and I don't like going to bed on a really full stomach so it is a natural way to eat for me. I've eaten like this most of my life. They finally named it. :smile:

It doesn't cause weight loss, it's just a life-management tactic for me. I don't obsess over a bunch of tiny unsatisfying meals, and it helps me structure my day.

The One Meal A Day thing you are doing for Ramadhan is also a strategy some people use as a way of life. Two meals is what I do.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I weigh myself twice a day wearing underwear. Once in the morning and another one in the evening.

By the way, i noticed that my body resisted weight loss a few days after the initial loss. As a matter if fact i gained weight. Only to be followed by another episode of weight loss. So, your weight loss is definitely not linear. You will have a bumpy curve as you lose weight. But I have to admit that i was a bit disappointed when i first noticed i gained weight. So, keep going no matter what!

yeah weight loss isnt linear. and weight will fluctuate from hr to hr,day to day so weighing at night would be counter productive because you will most likely weigh more at night due to food intake and waste.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I find I feel better and keep weight off easier when I do intermittent fasting.

do you keep the weight off easier because you dont overeat doing IF? because its not a weight loss strategy per se. anyone can overeat even doing IF.
  • sarcasticarse
    sarcasticarse Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am doing a fasting focused lifestyle. The most frequent I eat is once per day (23-1) but I also practice extended fasting.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am doing a fasting focused lifestyle. The most frequent I eat is once per day (23-1) but I also practice extended fasting.

I did extended fasting and nearly crashed into a overpass, I was light headed and seeing stars. Don't use heavy machinery or drive while fasting for more than 24 hours. Your brain and heart need to be fed.
  • sarcasticarse
    sarcasticarse Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I did extended fasting and nearly crashed into a overpass, I was light headed and seeing stars. Don't use heavy machinery or drive while fasting for more than 24 hours. Your brain and heart need to be fed.

Sounds like you had a terrifying experience, I would need to know more about the situation that led to this event before formulating a response to this. I have personally never had any issues practicing any kind of fasting (other than having to throw out food that had gone bad prior to breaking my fast).