I keep gaining weight and don't know why...

Options
About a year and a half ago I weighed 127 pounds. I'm currently 18 years old and a female and 5'9. A year ago I randomly gained 10 pounds out of the blue. I was able to lose about 4 of those so I was 134. I was consistently this throughout the year. Now I gained 3 more pounds. Im currently eating fairly healthy and excercising. I'm doing leg/butt workout in the morning, riding my bike for 30 minutes, then doing ab stuff at night. I eat about 1,200 ish calories a day, but I'm never hungry. I can't lose any weight and I don't know why. I'm actually starting to gain a few more pounds. Why is this?? I don't think I'm gaining that much muscle. What is happening? Please answer. Thank you!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Fairly healthy? You mean in a deficit? The only way to put on weight is to eat more calories than you need.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food on a food scale?
  • abbison28
    abbison28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fairly healthy? You mean in a deficit? The only way to put on weight is to eat more calories than you need.
    But if I eat more I start to gain weight. I've tried eating about 1,700 before and I was putting on about half a pound a week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are still growing. If you were my granddaughter I'd tell her it's too early to worry. Eat 1600 calories a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sounds like you have a body dysmorphia issue. At your height and weight, you're right at above normal. You're 18 and likely still growing so 1200 calorie is TOO LITTLE for you. If you gain weight eating more, it's your body telling you weren't eating enough in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    abbison28 wrote: »
    But if I eat more I start to gain weight. I've tried eating about 1,700 before and I was putting on about half a pound a week.

How long did you stay at 1,700 calories a day? Increasing from such a low intake of 1,200 may cause a temporary increase in body weight, but it'll level off in a few weeks or so. Your body composition will be better off in the long run if you stick with that increase in calories while continuing a solid lifting program.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You're gaining weight because you're maturing. You're moving out of childhood and into adulthood, and your body is still changing. If you're wearing junior/odd sized clothes, soon those won't fit anymore as your body continues to change and you'll move into women's/even sizes. Your weight is normal for your height; you need to come to grips with the fact that you can't have a teenager's body forever.