Who is fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm not fasting, but am curious about the amount of calories you eat. Is it the same amount as you would in a full day? Do you still log your food intake?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    husainh215 wrote: »
    husainh215 wrote: »
    Excellent. quit few people. I am fasting for Ramadhan for almost 19 hours per day in the Netherlands. Badically one meal per day! Is that how the intermittent faster doing it too?

I do intermittent fasting, although not for religious reasons.

I do 16:8 which means I fast for 16 hours and then eat in an 8 hour window each day. I don't eat breakfast, (which I'm generally never hungry for anyway) and have my first meal of the day around 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. Skipping breakfast means I have enough calories for a good lunch and dinner, as well as a few evening snacks.

There's no magic in fasting, btw. Managing weight is all about the amount of calories you consume, not when you consume them. :)

Interesting. For how many days do you fast? A month or two?

Every day. For many, many years so far. Even long before it had a name. :)

I will occasionally have breakfast, but only if it's some family get together. And even then I generally don't eat much because I'm truly not hungry in the morning. So I'll have some coffee and perhaps some fruit or something.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    I'm not fasting, but am curious about the amount of calories you eat. Is it the same amount as you would in a full day? Do you still log your food intake?

yes you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. its up to you if you want to log or not. all that changes is the window of time you are eating your meal(s).if you overeat while fasting you will still gain weight,its just another way of eating.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am doing a fasting focused lifestyle. The most frequent I eat is once per day (23-1) but I also practice extended fasting.

I did extended fasting and nearly crashed into a overpass, I was light headed and seeing stars. Don't use heavy machinery or drive while fasting for more than 24 hours. Your brain and heart need to be fed.

Sounds like you had a terrifying experience, I would need to know more about the situation that led to this event before formulating a response to this. I have personally never had any issues practicing any kind of fasting (other than having to throw out food that had gone bad prior to breaking my fast).

For college credit, I needed a general requirement class so I took yoga. The teacher was into "New Age" and had the class fasting and doing coffee enemas. She was trying to enlighten us! Lol I was only drinking apple juice and water. This was in the early 80's. I'm got an A, however.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    I am doing a fasting focused lifestyle. The most frequent I eat is once per day (23-1) but I also practice extended fasting.

I did extended fasting and nearly crashed into a overpass, I was light headed and seeing stars. Don't use heavy machinery or drive while fasting for more than 24 hours. Your brain and heart need to be fed.

Sounds like you had a terrifying experience, I would need to know more about the situation that led to this event before formulating a response to this. I have personally never had any issues practicing any kind of fasting (other than having to throw out food that had gone bad prior to breaking my fast).

For college credit, I needed a general requirement class so I took yoga. The teacher was into "New Age" and had the class fasting and doing coffee enemas. She was trying to enlighten us! Lol I was only drinking apple juice and water. This was in the early 80's. I'm got an A, however.

Wow. So the A was so you wouldn't sue her from your hospital bed? :lol:
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I bet the whole class received an A. I was impressionable back then.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

But did you become enlightened?

My only real experience with fasting, would be IF while I was on meditation retreat in Thailand. We were allowed breakfast and lunch (medical conditions excepted). It was during this time that I learned that I could fall asleep with a loudly growling stomach (which is something that I had so firmly held onto as a belief, that I couldn't do it), so at least there's that.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options

yes you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. its up to you if you want to log or not. all that changes is the window of time you are eating your meal(s).if you overeat while fasting you will still gain weight,its just another way of eating.

Yes, of course it's still cico, but I was asking because I was curious about the amount of calories people eat. I consider myself full after a 500 calorie meal, so eating the required amount of food in such a short time window wouldn't work for me. That's why I also asked for personal stories on whether people still logged or not because I was curious about whether people are able to make their goals more so than that I was asking whether you need to be in a deficit or not. Especially with people that do it either for religious reasons and haven't looked into it as a way of eating that they will sustain and thus might not watch their calories as much while doing this or people that are new to it and are the same as well as towards the satisfaction/benefit ratio people new to this experience.

I remember when I was in high school we had this charity thing where people who wanted to join were required to not eat for 24 hours to raise money. Some were quite cranky, especially since others who didn't join just ate whatever they wanted in their presence. I can imagine there's quite a lot to it and it piqued my curiosity.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @GoldenEye_

You may be a small woman who has never struggled with food in general, if so you're lucky. I am an older woman, and if I was able to I would gladly eat 1200 for a meal. Doesn't matter if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can easily eat over 3000 calories in a day if I eat stuff like cookies, pie, ice cream, peanut butter and bread, crackers and cheese, blah blah blah.

That is one of the many reasons I like IF 16:8. If I have many smaller meals a day, I'll keep eating each time until I get to 800-1000 calories because that's my satiety point. So by eating twice a day (7-9AM & 3-5PM), I can have the amount of food that leaves me happy, but not go over my 1600-2000 calories a day that I know I need to maintain my weight. I don't buy the trigger foods, I eat at set times, and I have a number of meals I know will fit into my calories and macros.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am fasting for Ramadan as well. Weight loss has been going at like 2.5 pounds a week instead of my usual 1.5 pounds a week. I also have upped my running mileage so that could also be a factor. I make sure to eat well when breaking my fast and before starting it. I also drink a lot of water. I pretty much eat the same thing as a regular day but my portions are maybe 10-20% bigger than when I have 3 meals a day.

I usually eat, wait a bit to digest then go for a run, eat something small and then sleep a bit. I then wake up, eat a bit and then the fast starts again.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 with low carb. Seems alright so far! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

But did you become enlightened?

Well she *did* do coffee enemas, so...

• hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Actually, I did a fat fast today. I use intermittent fasting several days a week.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Yes, of course it's still cico, but I was asking because I was curious about the amount of calories people eat. I consider myself full after a 500 calorie meal, so eating the required amount of food in such a short time window wouldn't work for me. That's why I also asked for personal stories on whether people still logged or not because I was curious about whether people are able to make their goals more so than that I was asking whether you need to be in a deficit or not. Especially with people that do it either for religious reasons and haven't looked into it as a way of eating that they will sustain and thus might not watch their calories as much while doing this or people that are new to it and are the same as well as towards the satisfaction/benefit ratio people new to this experience.

I remember when I was in high school we had this charity thing where people who wanted to join were required to not eat for 24 hours to raise money. Some were quite cranky, especially since others who didn't join just ate whatever they wanted in their presence. I can imagine there's quite a lot to it and it piqued my curiosity.

so are you saying you are only eating 500 calories a day? or just in one meal? I fast 16:8 most days unless I have to leave the house early for some reason. and I manage to get over 1400 calories in my window of time. sometimes I go over that.I have been working out lately and getting a lot of steps in so Im hungry. I never was a breakfast person so I skip breakfast so 16:8 works for me most of the time.I find that if I eat out of that window I also am more hungry for some reason.I cant say anything when it comes to religious reasons and I myself dont do it for that reason.for some fasting helps them keep their calories in check.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Managing weight is all about the amount of calories you consume, not when you consume them. :) [/quote]

Could not agree more - sometimes people get very hung up on the clock but my experience has been a consistent cals in/cals out. I lost a major amount of weight eating a dessert at 9pm each night, this was one thing I did for a long time and it worked for me. The clock helps some people and that is fabulous but it, like anything else, is a part of the solution that works for them, not the solution itself.