Need Tips On How to Cut Soda

I'm trying to lose weight but the one thing I just can't stop is drinking soda. I'm legit like addicted. Any tips on how to stop or help the cravings? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Drink the diet version. Or sparkling water if it's the bubbles you like - if you cant handle plain, get the sugar free flavoured versions.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    I quit cold turkey for a month. I then slowly reintroduced diet soda back. I was drinking 3 to 4 daily. Now I drink 1 diet soda for dinner. If you can get past the first week, then you will be fine.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    I also love those sparking non mineral waters with fruit flavor. Generally beats my "soda" craving perfectly.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    When there's a will there's a way. If you want to give it up you will! I only drink water, and tea ( no sweetner) or black coffee. Just gotta do it, no easy way. Don't buy it then temptation isn't there. Good luck!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    I quit cold turkey. I just decided no more. Yeah i get cravings for my favourite kinds now and then but i REFUSE to have any.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Diet soda works fine for me.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    bomftdrum wrote: »
    I quit cold turkey for a month. I then slowly reintroduced diet soda back. I was drinking 3 to 4 daily. Now I drink 1 diet soda for dinner. If you can get past the first week, then you will be fine.

@AyeeeAngeeel. This one.

It will be hard at the start, but WELL worth it (from experience).

Easiest not to substitute with diet soda, mineral water or even sparkling water. Just drink plain water when you would have had soda.

Remember, after 1 month you can re-introduce slowly. So it will not be gone for good. Chances are, after a month, you wont want to (as you will see a change in a month).

Keep well hydrated. Keep a water bottle with you.

Best of luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If it's caffeinated then reduce slowly over time.
    If it isn't then just stop buying it and switch to another alternative that you enjoy the taste of.

If it's the calories that bother you then a simple switch to diet varieties is the obvious "solution" (pun intended!).
    :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    bomftdrum wrote: »

I did it the opposite way...cut down, then switched to diet. No headaches from caffeine withdrawal this way!
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    I gave up soda about 20 years ago. I switched to unsweetened iced green tea and water. I decided to just make the change. I don't recommend doing it that way. The sugar and caffeine withdrawal made me unbearable to be around (according to my wife). :)

You have a couple of options. If you need the carbonation without the sweetness, I would recommend Hintfizz. It is a carbonated fruit flavored water.

If you need soda, I would go with diet soda (make sure it uses splenda for the sweetner.)

Regardless, increase your water intake. For example, For every glass of iced green tea I have, I have a glass of chilled water.
  • Hybridchld
    Hybridchld Posts: 15 Member
    To echo what others have said it is well worth cutting out soda.

Before I joined MFP and the gym I lost 17lbs in 3 months by just cutting out sugary drinks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I switched to diet in my senior year of high school. I didn't like it as well at first, but peer pressure (none of the other girls ordered regular) was sufficient and within a few months I preferred diet and no longer liked regular (I still think regular tastes sticky and undrinkable). I didn't drink crazy amounts of soda, though, it was an occasional thing.

Later, as an adult, after I had started drinking rather too much soda (diet) for a while in my 20s, since it was free at work, I just gradually started intentionally choosing other things for at least some of the times I wanted a drink. Now I rarely drink it just because I usually want something else. That happened gradually.

It's also possible your issue is caffeine addiction (I drink way too much coffee now, so get that). If so, the best option is to switch to something else with caffeine that doesn't also have calories and then to taper down. Cutting caffeine is easy if you taper, can have headaches and make you feel tired if you do it cold turkey. I've done both, though, neither is that tough to get through.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2017
    Just don't buy it for a month and drink water. Youll actually start to enjoy water and wonder what the big buzz was all about. I was addicted to energy drinks once upon a time. All day everyday. No such thing as water back then. Good luck.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    How much are you drinking at the moment? You could try to cut cold turkey, but it might be easier if you started to gradually replace it. If you drink 2L go down to 1.5L and carry on .
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,183 Member
    don't buy it .. buy soda water and lime juice instead .. its very refreshing much lower in cals and much better for you .. however if you just start drinking plain water you will start to enjoy it (seriously its true)
  • victorias36
    victorias36 Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2017
    I quit sodas about a year ago. I drink water, teas and coffee. I really don't miss it but at first it was hard. You want the taste with your meals or just by itself. The best way for me was to cut back at first. I got the bottled drinks in 8 ounces. I would drink half of the bottle with my meal. I just weened myself off of it. If I was eating out I would get a glass of water with lemon(you can add Splenda) and I got a soda I made sure I drank some out of each and never got a refill. Finally I just did not want it anymore. I get my caffeine fix from teas and coffee. Good luck! You can do it! You will not miss it!! Your stomach will thank you!!
  • jlburgess80
    jlburgess80 Posts: 6 Member
    I think quitting cold turkey and staying that way is the way to go. I quit in February of 2016 and haven't had anything carbonated other than the occasional beer. My main motivation for quitting was because I didn't want my six year old son becoming hooked on them.

I had given them up for a year in 2013, but then slowly it came back.

If you truly believe you are addicted then 100% quitting is the way to go. Addicts have a poor success rate at moderation.
  • SebRyan45
    SebRyan45 Posts: 3 Member
    Drink squash or concentrate or whatever you call it. I drink a lot of blackcurrent squash, it is zero calories and really tasty so I find it replaces soda pretty well.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I just drink diet