Need a FAST answer about rest days!

Options
bad_dog_ny
bad_dog_ny Posts: 22 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, so I have been going to the gym almost everyday. I do some cardio everyday and every other day I do strength training. It got to the point where on the treadmill I could not get my heart rate up to 138, The Zone I wanted to keep it in. So I started HIIT a couple days ago and on the treadmill alternated between a jog and walking. Basically after warm up a jog for a minute then I do two minutes of walking then I jog for another minute and so on. My heart rate seems to fluctuate between 165 and 135, which is fine, that's what HIIT is all about. However, today I am really sore in the legs. I have only been doing this routine for 2 days. Today I was thinking about going and just doing a moderate walk to burn some calories, and not worry about heart rate. Sort of take it easy and take the day off, but get a little bit of exercise in. What are the suggestions for rest on stuff like this? I mean my legs don't hurt to the point where I can't walk, but they are sore. Yesterday I did my full strength workout, including two sets of leg presses, as well as a cardio workout which was 50 minutes on the treadmill alternating between walking and jogging. I feel like I could do the same cardio workout today, but also wonder if it would be better to just give things a rest. But should I give it a total rest or would a nice moderate pace walk be good just to get some exercise? Need a fast answer because the gym closes in 3 hours, LOL. That's the only thing I don't like about my gym, closes early on Saturday and Sunday.

Replies

• phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness certainly isn't unusual when you start getting into more intense workouts. And walking is a good exercise by itself, and will help get bloodflow to those stressed leg muscles. I attend around 6 bootcamp workouts a week at the moment and I've had a good spell of not suffering with DOMS however last week a couple of instructors had me hitting full pelt sprints over a few sessions and my legs were suffering for a few days after that! That's the downside to weight loss. The lighter I get, the faster I get. And my legs & lungs just have to try and cope!
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Gains are made by taking rest days. That being said, if you are sore you can take an active rest day. Yoga, walking, swimming.

Today I'm super sore from my workout. But didn't want to do nothing. I hopped in the pool and did 2200 yards. I didn't want a high impact workout today. I feel so much better and less sore.

But sometimes you just need a recovery day!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I will often walk to help relieve DOMS. I personally wouldn't run/jog, but just walk.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a rest day and/or your calorie deficit is leaving you with lower energy levels.

Lifting and cardio combined can be taxing. Adding HIIT type intervals just adds a new stress and energy/recovery need to the mix.

I'd say rest or at least back off for a day or two.
  • bad_dog_ny
    bad_dog_ny Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am doing a lighter speed and incline treadmill for a couple of days. I'm not going to obsess on HR...but I do want to shred some calorie. But legs are more sore than I tnought.