Tips for gaining weight??

Options
Hello, I am a female, 5'4 and 101.3 lbs and 28 years old. I'm horrified by my weight right now, but with a mixture of stress and poor eating habits, here I am. I figured tracking what I eat, will help me stay more aware of how often I'm NOT eating. Andddd it's helping, so I'm feeling positive. I'm just not sure where to even begin with getting myself on a good routine as far as food intake and exercise. Any tips?! Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi, the link is the calculation for your maintenance calorie (1408). to gain 1 lb/week, u need to add 500 cal to that so it means u should be eating at 1900 calories a day + the calories u burn in exercising. Use MFP to make sure u r eating enough. Also, to ensure u r not gaining 100% just in fat, do some lifting n a good beginners program would be stronglift 5x5 (u can download that for free). If u have problem with eating enough calories, try calorie dense but healthy foods like avacado, quinoa, coconut oil, beef, etc etc (do a Google search on this)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=28&lbs=101&in=64&act=1.2&f=2

Good luck!

PS lifting will increase ur appetite
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    Hi, the link is the calculation for your maintenance calorie (1408). to gain 1 lb/week, u need to add 500 cal to that so it means u should be eating at 1900 calories a day + the calories u burn in exercising. Use MFP to make sure u r eating enough. Also, to ensure u r not gaining 100% just in fat, do some lifting n a good beginners program would be stronglift 5x5 (u can download that for free). If u have problem with eating enough calories, try calorie dense but healthy foods like avacado, quinoa, coconut oil, beef, etc etc (do a Google search on this)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=28&lbs=101&in=64&act=1.2&f=2

Good luck!

PS lifting will increase ur appetite

As a female, even if I wanted to gain, I think a slower rate would be better. Gaining that quickly will likely add a lot of fat; whilst some fat is necessary, too much isn't healthy!

OP, I'd definitely get in to lifting to help you gain muscle weight along with a bit of fat. In terms of getting the cals in, I'd plan meals, prepare meals, and set times to eat them - this might require you to set alarms on your phone if you get caught out missing meals because you're preoccupied. Add calorie dense foods, this will help reduce volume. Drink calories between meals.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with drinking some calories, no added sugar juice (but not low calorie, just to save your teeth lol, as I'm just swallowing starburst lollies), make a big fruit/protein/soy or milk smoothie. Sometimes I'll make a smoothie with frozen banana or berries, heavy cream and protein and some almond or soy milk yummmmmmmmmmm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • sculfor1090
    sculfor1090 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    200-300 surplus of calories to start with. Can increase or decrease at your own will Dependant on fat gain.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You have to eat big to get big. That doesn't mean eating unhealthy foods just for the calories but increasing good high protein foods. Eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours and have a meat or protein source with every meal of the day.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Eat in a slight calorie surplus everyday until you reach your goal weight
  • Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Learn to love food. TBH the only reason I workout is so I can stuff my face and stay in shape, which makes people ask "how do you stay so fit but eat whatever whenever?" Because I workout probably too much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ really tho, slowly increase your calorie count and eat things that you want to eat, your stomach will expand and you'll eventually be accustomed to it
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You have to eat big to get big. That doesn't mean eating unhealthy foods just for the calories but increasing good high protein foods. Eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours and have a meat or protein source with every meal of the day.

1) calories can come from anywhere
    2) No food is inherently unhealthy or bad
    3) Meal timing is irrelevant
    4) Why does one need protein in every meal
  • clbaft
    clbaft Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of it but for number 4, there are a few reasons (as a woman of the same height also trying to gain weight). If she wants to build muscle, I think 0.8g/lb body weight is probably a decent amount, and it's a lot easier to eat 80g+ if you spread it out throughout the day.

And 2, that feeling of fullness, while not being useful when you're trying to eat way more than you're used to, is really good in the morning or before you work out - whenever that is. YMMV and of course OP might have a completely different view of it, but I can't do my best if I don't feel suitably fueled / my stomach is grumbling, and protein is the most satiating macro.

To OP - I second peanut butter! Any nuts and avocado, full fat dairy etc. As a fellow small, just make sure you don't get the 'diet/low-fat' version of stuff (I don't mean like soda etc) and don't be afraid of carbs. I'm up to 2000+ and it often feels like a struggle to eat that much pasta or rice etc but you need them to build muscle :) ALSO - treat yourself. People may disagree with me here but I have some chocolate or whatever fits in macros that I want every day and I have gained weight + lost fat so far.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    clbaft wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of it but for number 4, there are a few reasons (as a woman of the same height also trying to gain weight). If she wants to build muscle, I think 0.8g/lb body weight is probably a decent amount, and it's a lot easier to eat 80g+ if you spread it out throughout the day.

And 2, that feeling of fullness, while not being useful when you're trying to eat way more than you're used to, is really good in the morning or before you work out - whenever that is. YMMV and of course OP might have a completely different view of it, but I can't do my best if I don't feel suitably fueled / my stomach is grumbling, and protein is the most satiating macro.

To OP - I second peanut butter! Any nuts and avocado, full fat dairy etc. As a fellow small, just make sure you don't get the 'diet/low-fat' version of stuff (I don't mean like soda etc) and don't be afraid of carbs. I'm up to 2000+ and it often feels like a struggle to eat that much pasta or rice etc but you need them to build muscle :) ALSO - treat yourself. People may disagree with me here but I have some chocolate or whatever fits in macros that I want every day and I have gained weight + lost fat so far.

The bold is your projection. It may be easier for you, but not be an issue for others. From a scientific standpoint, it may or may not even have validity. Some would suggest spreading protein (especially protein high in leucine) as it would stimulate protein synthesis. But consider the time it takes to digest many proteins, eating 2 or 3 meals a day would be long enough to do the job; this considers daily protein goals > timing of those goals.

OP, the below thread can be helpful to you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • clbaft
    clbaft Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The bold is your projection. It may be easier for you, but not be an issue for others. From a scientific standpoint, it may or may not even have validity. Some would suggest spreading protein (especially protein high in leucine) as it would stimulate protein synthesis. But consider the time it takes to digest many proteins, eating 2 or 3 meals a day would be long enough to do the job; this considers daily protein goals > timing of those goals.

I don't mean to sound blunt but your reply is based on YOUR projection and misunderstanding of my post. I never said anything about spreading protein out to increase protein synthesis or because you can't digest more than 30-40g in one go or whatever bro science you think I believe. I've read all the same studies too.

I literally said it's easier to eat 80g of protein spread out over various meals rather than in one go. By throughout the day I meant breakfast, lunch and dinner. Is that not true? If I'm wrong and it's easy for someone to eat 80g of protein in one meal I will apologise... I only eat 3 meals a day and I like to have protein in each one. I even said 'YMMV'

I think your post was a little combative to me for no reason? But anyway, I digress. Back to topic.