Which at-home strength programme should I do?

Options
Hi

Background: I'm 5ft7" and 145lbs, looking to get down to 133 or lower. I was once 126lbs after eating barely anything for a couple of months (physical illness) - I loved being so slim, but of course it was very unhealthy and I had no muscle. I'd like to be a similar size, but strong and fit and healthy, so I'm aiming for 133, ideally 130. I've just started running again and I've been doing squats, deadlifts, lunges, chest press, press ups, bicep curls, triceps lifts, rows, shoulder press and a variety of crunch/plank/superman moves at home using dumbbells but my efforts are a bit aimless and haphazard so I'd like to start a more formal programme at home. I just moved jobs so my old gym membership ended, and I won't join another one until autumn because I like doing my cardio outdoors in the summer.

TLDR: Which strength programme should I use to strength train in the morning, at home, for 30-45 minutes, about 3 times a week, using dumbbells (adjustable using 0.5, 1.25 & 2.5kg plates) and bodyweight in order to preserve lean muscle mass and gain strength while I lose fat?

I've heard about Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women, but would love some advice on the differences between them and which would suit my needs best, and to know what your experiences of them have been?

FYI, I'm currently on 1200 calories, focusing on not snacking and quality foods, and eating back exercise calories. On days that I strength train I do/would log it (thought I know it's not really burning calories) to give myself some extra calories to fill up with protein.

Thanks all! :smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal to lose 0.5lb per week. That should give you more than 1200 cals. Look at new rules of lifting for women or there's a stickie somewhere with a list of different lifting prorgammes
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is Tony Horton new version of P90 DVD series. It's a combination of strength training cardio yoga Plyometrics.
    it's really a great all-around workout that's five to six times a week and the routines go anywhere from half an hour to forty minutes
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    P90X, but you will be doing 1 hr workouts with the warm up and cool downs.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Actually, Beachbody has a few programs that would fit you perfectly. There is the original p90x that everyone here is talking about, but there is also a newer one called p90x3 that I am in the last two weeks of. It worked amazingly well for me. Very similar to p90x, but all workouts are 30 minutes long. I was able to drop a good deal of weight on it, (actually I'm 4lbs from goal) while at the same time gaining size in my arms and chest/back. Very happy with the results!
  • PearDragon
    PearDragon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do P90X but I don't think it's viable without investing a lot of money in it and the equipment, which is a bit of a pain given I'll rejoin the gym in autumn. Also I live in a small shared flat so lots of equipment and jumping around isn't going to work.

From that linked thread the Aworkoutroutine beginner training program looks perfect for me to just preserve muscle over the summer so I'm going to give that a go three times a week.

Thanks for all the advice!