Depression

Anyone know what I can do to stop this depression? I have no friends and haven't had a friend in about a year since I moved, exercise and healthy eating helped for a bit and now it crept back up to me and I can't stop feeling lonely and depressed

Replies

• kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    I'm in the same exact spot right now. I lost my job a few months back and I realized those were the only friends I really had. Without a support system keeping this up can seem kinda impossible sometimes. Feel free to add me, maybe we can help each other somehow.
  • atomic28
    atomic28 Posts: 1 Member
    What do you like to do? I have found spinning at my local gym helps a lot with depression and being healthy.
  • Jonathanak6
    Jonathanak6 Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2017
    atomic28 wrote: »
    What do you like to do? I have found spinning at my local gym helps a lot with depression and being healthy.
    When I'm not working out or eating or studying, I normally play video games but finding it super hard to even find a friend on the video game
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    There is a MFP Gamers group on this site. Maybe check in there and find friends.
    You are not alone. If it gets bad please seek professional help. It will get better.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    I've notice games groups like Chess and Go are pretty active right now where I live.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2017
    Or maybe a book group. Something to get you outside and around people IRL.

I know it can be hard. I tend to be outgoing an an includer, which helps me make friends.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Is it actual depression or loneliness we're talking about? Because to help with the former will be tough for anyone on here and maybe you should seek professional help.

Finding friends, however, is something you could try to do on here. Maybe start a thread looking for people with similar interests in your area. I know joining existing groups can be tough when you're an introvert, so just going to some club or joining a gaming community may still not be right for you but maybe if you look for some 1:1 contact on here, that'll be better.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    If it's actual depression you should see a doctor about it as you may need therapy and/or medication.
  • Justjayde84
    Justjayde84 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm pretty much in same boat. Me and my close friends fell out last year anl life has changed. I have a supportive boyfriend and supportive work colleagues and battlong depression myself. I find reading motivation and inspirational quotes help.
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    Jonathan,
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. :-( My two best friends moved out of state. Only one really keeps in touch with me meaningfully. My other best friend we had a falling out in Dec 2016. I honestly have no girlfriends besides my out-of-state friend. I don't know how I got to this sad state since I have been working so hard for years on my character flaws (being a better person that people want to be around). I am so sad and lonely and feel without hope. I work even on the weekends to alleviate the loneliness, to forget.

I am trying to go to church and meetups. I hope you will write back and let us know how you are doing.

Kandee

(My picture is my goal picture! ;-)
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    You can add me if you want. I too feel depressed sometimes and have been having a hard time getting back into shape. Perhaps we can motivate each other?
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Speak to your doctor. Also look into (mindfully, understand sometimes this can be upsetting but that's okay) your past and what could have caused this, try to remove self blame. For me, I grew up around drugs and alcohol and moved in with a 21 year old man at 15 because of this and was raped and abused. I left him when I was 17 and I have a daughter from him. She is now 6. I repressed those memories for years and instead became obsessed with food and developed eating disorders and in the middle of 2015, after moving away with my new safe partner, I started to get flashbacks (because I was now safe and away from this man that stayed in my life because of my daughter) that slowly caused me to be depressed. I am on anti depressants and have been for months and months now. They help me so much. Also look up "dopamine producing foods", foods high in the amino acids l-phenylalanine (found in aspartame the artificial sweetener found in sugar free drinks), and l-tyrosine help produce dopamine in the brain, which is our happy hormone. Good sources of these amino acids are meat and fish, dairy products, wheat and soy products. Also I take BCAAS (which contains both) and take vitamins as listed;
    Morning: 1 multi (centrum is a good supermarket brand), 2 fish oil (great for brain health)
    Night: 1 b complex with vitamin c, 1 cal mag d(calcium magnesium and vitamin d) and 2 fish oil

All these things help me so much (and also help my body become healthier), and I hope I've helped you
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Also look up "dopamine producing foods", foods high in the amino acids l-phenylalanine (found in aspartame the artificial sweetener found in sugar free drinks), and l-tyrosine help produce dopamine in the brain, which is our happy hormone.

No wonder when I drink unsweetened iced tea with sweet n low I am bouncing off the walls! See I knew that it wasn't just the caffeine! It really does make me in a happy mood! Even though studies have shown it really isn't good for you, but then what is!? Guess I should make me some iced tea at home to jump start my day!
  • take2spicy
    take2spicy Posts: 296 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that...the one thing that helps me is exercise it's a natural increase in dopamine, serotonin. Please see your Dr and try to fight the urge to be home by yourself get out in the sun get some vitamin d....and walk even if it's just ten minutes. I hope you feel better soon!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Have you looked at meetup.com? You can plug in the city you live in and scroll through to find activities you'd like to do with other people. I found a co-ed hiking group to join, and made some workout acquaintances that way. I see that there are gamer's groups and video game nights, too - it's listed under Sci-Fi & Games Meetups.
  • Annaisready
    Annaisready Posts: 6 Member
    Hi there ! I think we've cone a long way to talk about mental health. You are not alone but the first step is reaching out ! Things will get better and there will be a day that you look back and remember you made it .
    Start off by going for a walk each day ...get outside! If you workout at a gym that's a great window to chat with people. Don't be afraid to seek medical help either. You are not alone ..make sure to take baby steps and congratulate yourself foe them ..wishing you all the best ...
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    atomic28 wrote: »
    When I'm not working out or eating or studying, I normally play video games but finding it super hard to even find a friend on the video game

I've met a crazy amount of friends on local meet up apps. About 15 the last two years that I still hang with. Meetup.com, MeetMe, and yes...Craigslist. And I literally do it with this horse mask picture! And they're all sane, well educated, and attractive. CL gets a bad rep but it's a gold mine for eccentric introverts, gamers, or professionals with little time to go out and mingle. Oddly full of lots of healthcare professionals. Friends didn't help my depression at all, just amplified it actually.
  • mcbeanstr
    mcbeanstr Posts: 44 Member
    Suffer from this as well, I play videogames as well to take my mind off it mostly but even that sometimes doesn't really help. Sometimes you feel like you want to talk with people but the inner introvert keeps you away from others. Very tough when that phase kicks in hey