Clean Eating

Options
Hi ,It's been a while and I really need to find my focus. I haven't tried the Clean Eating before but slowly getting there.
Any advice is welcome and encouraged.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What is clean eating?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Hi ,It's been a while and I really need to find my focus. I haven't tried the Clean Eating before but slowly getting there.
    Any advice is welcome and encouraged.

There are many variations to clean eating, presumably you've found a style that suits your you. If you are looking to lose weight, clean eating won't necessarily achieve that by itself. You can still eat too much when clean eating, and will need to use more calories than you consume to lose weight.
  • BronTonyRollyBeau
    BronTonyRollyBeau Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiny_Dancer_ , my understanding Clean eating is more about cutting out processed foods and using fresh ingredients.
  • kiwibluff
    kiwibluff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've cut nearly all carbs out and buying fresh fruit meat etc given up coffee ..energy drinks and now given alcohol the same treatment..really trying hard to do clean eating ...find it hardest in the weekends when it's so easy just to.pop thru the drive thru ...tried McDonald's salad and it's terrible
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like to eat chicken breast or fish with veggies like green beans, broccoli, asparagus...that's the cleanest my eating will ever get?
  • dianemcmurtrie
    dianemcmurtrie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Bron.
    I am a vegetarian and have practiced 'Clean eating' for 12 months.
    I have researched it well and put it into practice without become fanatical.
    Basically it is exactly as you said...
    Nothing processed.
    My diet consists of 85% fresh fruit and vegetables. (Organic where possible). Raw and steamed or stir fried, grilled or baked.
    Whole grains, lentils and legumes, nuts and seeds.
    Fresh and sparkling water, tea and coffee.
    And yes I make snacks and treats and do have the odd Maccas.
    It's all a balance.
    Of you log your food you will stay within your calories.
  • dianemcmurtrie
    dianemcmurtrie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A good tip to remember is;
    Your plate should be 50/25/25
    50% Vegetables
    25% Lean protein
    25% Whole grains
    Eat the rainbow with your veggies.
    Use wholemeal pasta/ noodles/quinoa/brown rice
    Make your own vinegarettes and tomato based sauces.
    Use fresh herbs and spices.
  • worrblade
    worrblade Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you clean your food before you eat it? or clean your self before you eat?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiny_Dancer_ , my understanding Clean eating is more about cutting out processed foods and using fresh ingredients.

While this sounds like a pretty straight forward definition, in actuality, the term "clean eating" is somewhat vague and arbitrary and when people put it in practice, it is very inconsistent.

Add to that the fact that nearly every commercially available food is processed in some way, it would be nearly impossible to cut out all processed foods. Plus, why cut out things like Greek yogurt, steel cut oats, rice, baby carrots, etc?

I think working to cook more from scratch and using Whole Foods is a great goal, but many people get more caught up in worrying that they can't have certain things they are restricting that they end up finding it hard to stick with.

Lastly, if your goal is weight loss, the most important thing to do is ensure you are in a calorie deficit. Eating "clean", whatever your definition of that is, doesn't guarantee a deficit.

Good luck!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Ah, processed foods. Last night for dinner, we had salad from bagged greens and fresh tomatoes with Ken's creamy Caesar, smoked tri-tip and canned beans with chipotle. It was good and all processed. I counted my calories, it's all good.

Weight loss is hard enough, don't make it harder.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So then the reality is that you'd have to pick and grow your own food and raise livestock then because anything else has to go through some processing and fresh ingredients (fruits and vegetables) are picked before they are ripe.

Don't get stuck on the terminology. "Clean" eating differs from diet to diet. A vegetarian doesn't think meat is part of a "clean" diet. People who do Paleo, don't think bread, etc. is.

Just try to eat more WHOLE foods and you should be fine. Frozen vegetables are great too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

While this sounds like a pretty straight forward definition, in actuality, the term "clean eating" is somewhat vague and arbitrary and when people put it in practice, it is very inconsistent.

Add to that the fact that nearly every commercially available food is processed in some way, it would be nearly impossible to cut out all processed foods. Plus, why cut out things like Greek yogurt, steel cut oats, rice, baby carrots, etc?

I think working to cook more from scratch and using Whole Foods is a great goal, but many people get more caught up in worrying that they can't have certain things they are restricting that they end up finding it hard to stick with.

Lastly, if your goal is weight loss, the most important thing to do is ensure you are in a calorie deficit. Eating "clean", whatever your definition of that is, doesn't guarantee a deficit.

Good luck!

So much this.

Weight loss is all about consuming less calories than you burn regardless of where those calories come from. :)
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Eating clean will mean different things to different people. There is no one size fits all diet or workout plan so everyone has to find what works best for them and what is easiest to stick with. If you are losing weight and getting the results you want then you are on the right track. If you aren't seeing results then change diet or exercise.

When I eat clean I don't eat anything that comes from a box or bag. I am fortunate to have a small farm so I grow or raise a large portion of my food. We raise goats and sheep for milk and meat. We have a garden and greenhouse so we grow fruits and vegetables and foodsave or can as much as we can. Most people aren't fortunate enough to have a farm or have access to fresh fruits, vegetables and meats but if you do I highly recommend it. What you think is fresh from all the big name stores really isn't. Once you've had meat butchered that day or fruits and vegetables harvested that morning it is hard to eat anything else.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Find out what 'clean eating' is and explain it to me. Is it a religion? Is it politics? What is it?