Cheat days, anyone?

Options
Does anyone do cheat days? Do they help you stay on track? I have major cravings and I'm hungry on my 1200-1400 calories per day. I have indulged on a snack or two but not a whole meal. I do eat lots of fruits and veggies and my body is digesting them so fast. I get hungry within 1.5-2 hours after a meal. I think having a bigger, fattier meal may help?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I fit indulgences into my regular calories. Sometimes I exercise extra to make room for them, or have a lighter meal/fewer snacks. Sometimes I have a diet break, where I eat at maintenance. But I don't go over my maintenance calories.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I go over calories ever once in a while just to keep it real...most would disagree that is a good idea...but I'm doing great and it keeps me sane. I don't generally go over 1000 over my maintenance though for that day and I kick it up in the gym.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on this level of calories? If you are still hungry after a couple of weeks, you may need to re consider your eating plan. Some people need a higher level of fat orhers protein and or fibre for satiety, or you just may need slightly higher calories
  • mountainguru
    mountainguru Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think you're right....I need more food. Being hungry all the time is so hard. Maybe I'll up my fat intake to help feel satisfied. I just really want cheesecake!!! My body knows what it needs, right? haha.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Who are you cheating on if not yourself? I find this to be a very negative approach. I just make sure to alot enough calories into each day to allow for a treat or two. That way, I don't feel deprived, nor do I feel the need to 'cheat.'
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat restaurant food every Saturday night and have family dinner at my mom's every Sunday...both equal calorie bombs :D ...I don't look at it as "cheat days" per se, because this is my life (I'm lucky enough to have date-night on saturdays and I'm Italian...so family dinners are GOING to happen lol)...but I do fast before these meals. Sometimes a full fast sometimes I just eat light prior depending on the menu. I always log it and add in an extra walk to help fit it in.

• bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Perhaps set your goal to 1400-1600 per day and eat your exercise calories back before you worry about that. Then you can also fit treats into your calories.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Have a slice of cheesecake.
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    have a slice... not the whole cake. if you deprive yourself eventually you will give in and eat more than if you just have a taste to satisfy the craving!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Exercise so you have the calories available. You may also need a few more calories - when I had the last few lbs to lose MFP had mee too low for comfort. I can lose on 14-1600 a day, everyone is different. If you're exercising a lot more than you used to are you eating back your exercise calories?
    Cheating is only cheating yourself, If you go over and log it you're not cheating, you're holding yourself accountable.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i don't really have cheat days, rather meals or treats when I can fit them into my calorie allowance. There's been a couple of days where I've gone over but not by a huge amount. Though it's probably easier for me cause my calorie goal is a bit higher than yours.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    About once every few weeks I'll have a 2500 calorie day... maybe once every few months I'll do something like Ribfest for about 5K. You know your figures so do the math on how much you're willing to slow your rate of loss and figure it out that way. I don't consider it cheating per se since I know what's up, but brace yourself... the "it's not a cheat day" posts are coming.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been at the for like 12 days and was doing pretty well. My wife and I had a chest day today and got way too much food. So now I'm stuck with trying to be back on track tomorrow with Father's day lunch, restaurant mac and cheese in the fridge, a big cookie and 2 big cupcakes from a bakery. I don't want to throw the stuff out, but that will put me way over tomorrow too. Also I worry about huge cravings Creeping back into my life.
  • Michaelcarr1
    Michaelcarr1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to indulge from time to time then you are human. Not to worry. Most people do. Just get back on track and be honest with your log. If you can't control it and it is a habit to indulge then reevaluate your plan of eating and exercise balance .
  • Human_Kal
    Human_Kal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It helps me manage cravings but I alternate between fitting it into my macros and eating at or above maintenance calories as the occasional re-feed.
  • RED_0N3
    RED_0N3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal and not cheat days for me. Not a fan of cheat days since it really does make me feel bad physically and mentally the next day.

Have a cheat meal once a week and move on and look forward to the next ;)
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I personally don't need or want cheat days even on a 1200kcal/day low-carb diet, I have great willpower and I'm pretty disciplined ; )
  • RED_0N3
    RED_0N3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's fun to exercise control and discipline. I've found saving my cheat meals for times I am stuck eating bad works for me.