Chinese Food

Options
We are celebrating a family birthday on Thursday at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. The food is always filling and delicious, the only problem is I have no idea how to calculate how many calories are in each serving. Should I skip out, or just eat smaller amounts? Any help would be great!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    depends on the types of food..and if its a celebration i wouldnt worry about it..eating something you want every blue moon wont hurt you. just look up the meal on here and see what it says..i'm sure there is sweet and sour pork somewhere on here.
  • sleepygiraffes
    sleepygiraffes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking :) I'm still new with this site, so I'll look around and see what I can find!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    have you tried cooking your qwn chicken chow mein or sweet and sour sauce and egg fried rice,spring rolls? i have some great recipies for it!(that will keep you WAY under cals that tastes great too)
  • sleepygiraffes
    Options
    have you tried cooking your qwn chicken chow mein or sweet and sour sauce and egg fried rice,spring rolls? i have some great recipies for it!(that will keep you WAY under cals that tastes great too)

Actually, that would be great! I love Chinese food and have cravings all the time but I know all these restaurants arent the healthiest places to eat :( That would help out so much.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    it's so easy and it will empress your guests too! lol
    you can make 1/2 of it hrs before too!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You should eat in moderation, but don't skip out. Never deprive yourself of something you want. Chinese food is one of my FAVORITE foods. Before I started dieting w/ weight watchers (previous to here) I used to eat it once a week. Now, I have it maybe once a month, sometimes not even that! It's the amount that you eat that matter, plus its got a ton of sodium in it, so just make sure you track everything and try to measure it up, a cup of this a 1/2 cup of that. Good luck! :-)

6720589.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • niknak0508
    Options
    Trud, I would love your recipes if you don't mind sharing! :-) Friend me if you'd like.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go for a boiled rice or noodles and avoid the fried ones if possible and remember the stickier the sauce the more sugar in it. Go for veggie or chicken dishes to avoid saturated fats and drink water (lots of empty calories and sugar in most other drinks). Minimise the amount of any sauces you eat as these will have the most calories and loads of sodium.

Enjoy and remember moderation! It'll probably still be quite a high calorie meal but it shouldn't blow the whole week.
  • sleepygiraffes
    Options
    You should eat in moderation, but don't skip out. Never deprive yourself of something you want. Chinese food is one of my FAVORITE foods. Before I started dieting w/ weight watchers (previous to here) I used to eat it once a week. Now, I have it maybe once a month, sometimes not even that! It's the amount that you eat that matter, plus its got a ton of sodium in it, so just make sure you track everything and try to measure it up, a cup of this a 1/2 cup of that. Good luck! :-)

6720589.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thanks so much :-) I don't eat it that often and it's a celebratory meal so I don't think there's any harm. I did look up how many calories the Chicken Fried Rice contained in 1 serving, and it was about 600 cal. Which seems like a lot just for some rice :S However, I'll do what you suggested and eat in moderation. Thank you :)
  • sleepygiraffes
    Options
    it's so easy and it will empress your guests too! lol
    you can make 1/2 of it hrs before too!

That would be great :) Would you mind sending them to me when you get a chance?
  • sleepygiraffes
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your help!
  • niknak0508
    Options
    No problem! Hope you enjoyed your day! :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    White rice has fewer calories than fried rice. Bonus points if you can find some brown rice though!

I love Chinese food, and no matter what the sodium or the calorie content, I fit it into my plan from time to time. I like to get Chicken with Snow Peas. Yum!
  • sleepygiraffes
    Options
    The thing is, every time we go there, we always order the same thing for everyone. Lemon Chicken, Ginger Beef, Fried Rice, Beef with Veggies, Chow Mein and Shrimps :( I'll just have to have really small portions of each just to be safe!
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    I love chinese, so I make either chicken fried rice or chicken lo mein for myself sometimes 5 times a week, mine versions have 4 ingredients each. When you do go out- try for sauces on the side, lots of places will offer that with steamed chicken and veggies (look for diet menu). Egg drop soup will fill you up before the entrees without blowing your calories, and drink twice as much water as you normally do to flush out extra sodium