Cut carbs ? How ?

Options
I need help understanding how to "cut carbs "
Easier said than done - carbs are hidden everywhere

Which are the main carb culprits ?
What are some good replacements for it ?

I enjoy all kinds of cuisines so all responses will be appreciated

Replies

• raidgirl
    raidgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would do it by say if you have two pieces of toast in the morning for example, have one and replace the other one with something low carb. Personally I am trying to just eat less bread because bread can be my weakness. I could eat half a loaf of bread a day if given the chance.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Nobody can know what your main carbohydrate sources are -- they vary for everyone. I could tell you what *mine* are. If you are consistently logging, you will be able to review previous days, see where your carbohydrates are coming from, and plan to eat less or those foods or find substitutes for them.

Carbohydrates are never hidden. Foods with labels will have them listed and foods without labels (like fruit, vegetables, beans, etc) can be looked up online.

^^This

For me, my main carb sources are fruits, pasta, breakfast cereals, and usually sweets. I don't eat a lot of bread typically. None are "hidden", though...just have to check the labels.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I aim for a certain amount of protein and fat as a base each day and then fill in the rest of my calories with carbs or more fat or more protein. At a certain point, in order to ensure that I can still meet my protein and fat goals, I have to cut the calories from carbs. So in that sense, I do cut carbs. But in a "carbs are bad, cut carbs to lose fat" sense, no I don't do that.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I reduced the intake of certain carbs because I was going overboard. I would eat a whole pizza in one sitting . I have always loved bread, pasta, sweets . At this time I try to avoid or restrict them if I can. unfortunately its a slippery slope with me. Once I start to eat them ill be back where I was. Don't get me wrong I enjoy them here and there, like yesterday I had a cupcake. But previously I would have a cupcake several times a week.
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would think a low GI food list would be easier than cutting out carbs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have to chuckle at the hidden carbs comment. Have none of you spent time on these boards and understand the food knowledge level of the populace? While they may not be hidden to some people who are wary about ingredient lists and such, there are a lot of foods with added sugars that most people wouldn't even think about (hello huge movement towards "natural" peanut butter that needs stirred) Also, when you do look at lists there is something like 5-6 things, if not more that are basically nothing but a different way to say sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I would do it by say if you have two pieces of toast in the morning for example, have one and replace the other one with something low carb. Personally I am trying to just eat less bread because bread can be my weakness. I could eat half a loaf of bread a day if given the chance.

Ya, I stopped baking bread because I could easily eat a half a loaf (with butter.)

Bread made from flour makes me sleepy and I don't find it especially filling, either. I don't find cookies or baked goods filling at all - they are completely empty calories for me. So I limit them. I do like bread and cheese as a bedtime snack.

Now, carbs from potatoes, legumes, and rice I do find very filling.

I paid attention to what meals satiated me and tweaked according to that. The result was I eat more protein and veggies, and less of certain types of carbs. (My fat level stayed where it's always been - fairly high.) I don't have bread and wine with a pasta meal anymore - it's just not worth the calories to me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    brendacs21 wrote: »
    I reduced the intake of certain carbs because I was going overboard. I would eat a whole pizza in one sitting . I have always loved bread, pasta, sweets . At this time I try to avoid or restrict them if I can. unfortunately its a slippery slope with me. Once I start to eat them ill be back where I was. Don't get me wrong I enjoy them here and there, like yesterday I had a cupcake. But previously I would have a cupcake several times a week.

I am the same way and have handled things the same way. There are plenty of foods that I just don't eat often because when I do eat them, I like to eat too many of them. It's easier to restrict them to certain days or events than to have a little at at time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    raidgirl wrote: »
    I need help understanding how to "cut carbs "
    Easier said than done - carbs are hidden everywhere

Which are the main carb culprits ?
    What are some good replacements for it ?

I enjoy all kinds of cuisines so all responses will be appreciated

maybe focus on cutting overall calories, instead.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I have to chuckle at the hidden carbs comment. Have none of you spent time on these boards and understand the food knowledge level of the populace? While they may not be hidden to some people who are wary about ingredient lists and such, there are a lot of foods with added sugars that most people wouldn't even think about (hello huge movement towards "natural" peanut butter that needs stirred) Also, when you do look at lists there is something like 5-6 things, if not more that are basically nothing but a different way to say sugar.

Not understanding how to read a nutritional label or not understanding what types of foods are inherently higher in carbohydrates doesn't equal carbohydrates being "hidden."

I understand that lots of people don't really understand what carbohydrates are or how to identify whether they are present in a particular food, but that's a whole different topic.