Pear-shaped women: when did you notice a significant difference in your thighs?

Options
I am a very bottom-heavy, pear-shaped woman. I am just under 5 feet tall and currently 106 lb, down 12 lb since starting. I am completely satisfied with how my upper body looks, but my hips and thighs still have some chub (for someone my size) and look out of proportion with the rest of my body.

My question for women who are at or close to their goal weight and have a similar body type is did you notice your hips/thighs slimming down at some point or will they always look out of proportion? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep trying for slimmer legs or if I should just accept things they way they are.

As for exercise, I lift weights and walk everywhere but don't really do any cardio. Not sure if that would help.

Replies

• Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I walk long distances at a moderate/fast pace, and started noticing a difference a month after I started (before I kicked off the diet itself). Saddle bags have all but melted away, thighs feel stronger, calves are smaller, arms are getting more toned. Still have 10kg left but my body looks pretty good.
  • thehonestdoubter
    thehonestdoubter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It feels like it's the very last place I lose weight although I know I'm losing inches in my thighs. My stomach will be tight, but my thighs seem flabby comparatively. It's been that way since I've been a child, so I've learned to accept it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Genetics - just do the best you can. Your thighs may lean out, they may not. Lifting weights is a great body shaper.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would do a lifting program if you aren't already (strong lifts etc.) and your best bet would be to try to build your upper body to sort of balance out your bottom half so it looks more proportionate.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Second the username thing :D

I almost never LIKE my thighs. When I lift consistently they look awesome in pants, but I'm never happy in shorts. They get smaller and shapely, but eh. I happen to like big thighs, but I've yet to master the quadzilla look I so envy.

I also get very small on top while still having excess body fat on bottom. It will of course depend on your preferences, but the best my legs have ever looked was when I ran, particularly sprints. (I still lifted and maintained a deficit). Lifting has done the most for my shape overall, but something about those sprints-my legs looked awesome. I was also ripped on top and completely flat chested... so...

This is of course completely anecdotal and it could be that I just finally got to a low enough body fat level at that time.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    With only about 10lbs to go to my goal my bottom half is still a size larger than the top so I don't think it will ever even out. At least it has shrunk proportionally though so I'm just a thinner pear shape which is fine by me, it's just genetics I'm afraid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Well, there's noticing and then there are actual changes. My lying eyes aren't good at actually noticing or evaluating correctly. Are you taking measurements?

Also, the media can adversely affect our body ideals. There was a recent thread by a woman all down on herself for her 'fat rolls' when in fact there were none. Your shape may be perfectly fine for you.

When you say "walk everywhere" how many miles do you average a day? Maybe add some swimming to the mix? I went swimming for the first time this season yesterday - hooray!

Love the username :lol:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Right away. That and my belly are thr first things to lose and gain. I actually am very skinny from the waist up. Lol. I've lost 5 lbs and my jeans are already looser
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's the last place I lose. In addition, it starts to look bigger as I continue to lose up top. I have to measure else I think I'm gaining but really it's just a rolling (get it?) loss from top to bottom.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm pear shaped but I can say that stubborn fat areas exist on all body types even on people who are within a reasonable level of body weight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 142 at the moment. I didn't feel comfortable in shorts until I was 128.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm "pear shaped" and have been every size from a 2 to a 20. I was just a little pear vs. a big pear.

I've embraced it and worked on making my butt and thighs bigger (high rep isolation exercises for butt and thighs). My husband doesn't mind...and neither do my gym creepers.

Also, it doesn't hurt to develop your shoulders to create a more balanced look.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and also pear-shaped. My thighs looked much better in the 130's, acceptable for my standards when I reached the 120's, and under 120, they look their best. Personally, I'd find a weight training routine that would best help me look more proportioned, and I'd take pictures all along the way to make sure I was making progress.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I am a very bottom-heavy, pear-shaped woman. I am just under 5 feet tall and currently 106 lb, down 12 lb since starting. I am completely satisfied with how my upper body looks, but my hips and thighs still have some chub (for someone my size) and look out of proportion with the rest of my body.

My question for women who are at or close to their goal weight and have a similar body type is did you notice your hips/thighs slimming down at some point or will they always look out of proportion? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep trying for slimmer legs or if I should just accept things they way they are.

As for exercise, I lift weights and walk everywhere but don't really do any cardio. Not sure if that would help.

You're about 5' tall and 106 lbs? That makes you quite slender already, though you might be able to lose a bit more weight and be healthy, depending on your build.

However, I think you might be viewing yourself in a very harsh light given your statements. It is natural and quite ordinary for women to hold weight in the hips and thighs owing to our hormones (though not universal). It is also quite healthy for us to have some body fat. You might want to talk to a trainer at your gym about your fitness and aesthetic goals.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My legs are the first place I gain weight, and the last place I lose it. My legs are always thick, particularly the top of my thigh, even I was at an unhealthy low weight. Weight training just makes them bigger, and pants never fit right. I've just learned to accept them for what they are and stopped wasting time and energy trying to change something I can't.

PS- L.O.V.E. the user name!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm "pear shaped" and have been every size from a 2 to a 20. I was just a little pear vs. a big pear.

I've embraced it and worked on making my butt and thighs bigger (high rep isolation exercises for butt and thighs). My husband doesn't mind...and neither do my gym creepers.

Also, it doesn't hurt to develop your shoulders to create a more balanced look.

This. I've cut down and purposely gained weight to build my butt back up BETTER because the thighs are just along for the ride. I've also worked on upper body a lot and have a more balanced appearance, even though I still measure like a pear: 32, 27, 40
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I only really noticed a difference in my thighs when I started weight training.