Pear-shaped women: when did you notice a significant difference in your thighs?

Options
2»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm "pear shaped" and have been every size from a 2 to a 20. I was just a little pear vs. a big pear.

I've embraced it and worked on making my butt and thighs bigger (high rep isolation exercises for butt and thighs). My husband doesn't mind...and neither do my gym creepers.

Also, it doesn't hurt to develop your shoulders to create a more balanced look.

This. I've cut down and purposely gained weight to build my butt back up BETTER because the thighs are just along for the ride. I've also worked on upper body a lot and have a more balanced appearance, even though I still measure like a pear: 32, 27, 40

Exact same measurements here...I put 3 inches on my hip INTENTIONALLY. Lifting has made me a FIRM pear.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am 5"9 and now 132 pounds. My thighs are the chubbiest part of me, and have really not changed much.

My 60-year-old mum (also slim) has the same thighs. Genetics :(

Living in hope though.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm "pear shaped" and have been every size from a 2 to a 20. I was just a little pear vs. a big pear.

I've embraced it and worked on making my butt and thighs bigger (high rep isolation exercises for butt and thighs). My husband doesn't mind...and neither do my gym creepers.

This. I've cut down and purposely gained weight to build my butt back up BETTER because the thighs are just along for the ride. I've also worked on upper body a lot and have a more balanced appearance, even though I still measure like a pear: 32, 27, 40

Exact same measurements here...I put 3 inches on my hip INTENTIONALLY. Lifting has made me a FIRM pear.

Oooh! How tall are you? I want to see lol

I really really prefer a 26 inch waist. I've only had it when I got below 130. If I could get it back I'd be delighted. Hips could stay though. I like 39 as well. Same ratio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options

'Firm pear', that's awesome :love:
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My legs are the first place I gain weight, and the last place I lose it. My legs are always thick, particularly the top of my thigh, even I was at an unhealthy low weight. Weight training just makes them bigger, and pants never fit right. I've just learned to accept them for what they are and stopped wasting time and energy trying to change something I can't.

PS- L.O.V.E. the user name!!!

I'm the same. OP, I'm very close to your stats. I'm just over 5' and around 104lbs. I got down to 97 last summer and my legs looked pretty good in shorts (I weight train), but still had extra fat at the top and measured about 20". When I used to weigh 95lbs, they looked pretty good. However, with age, my fat distribution seems to have changed and I can't carry that low of weight anymore without my upper body looking skeletal. It all sits right below my belly button and at the very tops of my inner thighs and below the butt. I'm learning to deal with it. I still complain though. LOL
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options

Oooh! How tall are you? I want to see lol

I really really prefer a 26 inch waist. I've only had it when I got below 130. If I could get it back I'd be delighted. Hips could stay though. I like 39 as well. Same ratio.

I say that I'm 5'3...but I've been lying so long...I think I'm actually only 5'2!

My waist was around 26 inches when I was about 125. My "big man abs" have added that extra inch. I can see my abs just under the surface layer of fat...if that makes sense. I'm going to cut after lifting competition in early August. Maybe abs for winter??? That seems pointless.
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Every chick on here complains about being pear shaped when they literally just have a normal, average womans body shape, AKA not a ruler. Lmao.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have always had thick thighs. :( But I really noticed them getting bigger when I'm just binging Netflix and binge eating. Couch potato really shows.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Every chick on here complains about being pear shaped when they literally just have a normal, average womans body shape, AKA not a ruler. Lmao.

Not necessarily true. Plenty of women are apple shaped, i.e. hold more fat in their abdomen and upper body and maintain very slim hips and thighs. I *kitten* about my thighs bc it's the most obvious, but I also hold weight in the "love handle" and back area-spots less common for women.

Many women do tend to hold in the hips and thighs, but a ruler shape is certainly not the only alternative.
    Missycvt wrote: »
    I have always had thick thighs. :( But I really noticed them getting bigger when I'm just binging Netflix and binge eating. Couch potato really shows.

Truth!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I don't know about others. But I started at 34, 29, 44. That's a juicy pear.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm actually more of a ruler based on my measurements because I have narrow hips, but all my fat deposits on the INSIDE of my thighs, and there is a definite discrepancy between fat deposit on my upper body and my lower. I think I posted on another thread that my Android/Gynoid fat ratio was 8.5%/25%. That's pretty crazy and I don't think the normal, average body of most women. Therefore I consider myself a pear.
  • DetectiveCookieMonster
    DetectiveCookieMonster Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My measurements are 32/28/40
    I'd love to have my bottom half more toned too. I started to add 1 leg workout every time I work out (squats, deadlifts, lunges etc). Hoping that helps; that makes for (about) an extra 5 lower body exercises a week not including leg day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite pear and have gotten proportionally smaller over time, but still have large thighs. I'm 5-7 and 145 and intend to keep going until I like the way the look.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

Some women are more apple shaped, thin legs and carry weight in the middle. Some are hourglass where they have a narrow waist and neat equal shoulder and hips. Others, like myself are bottom heavy and referred to as pear shaped.

I don't know that anyone is really complaining about their shape but we aren't all shaped the same
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I noticed a significant difference in my thighs when I got into my 40's. My hips and thighs didn't change, but my self image did as I got older and I began to accept/appreciate my natural shape. That's not to say I'm pleased when I'm overweight, but I've learned to be happy with my shape, even the shape of my thighs, when I am at a healthy weight and fitness level. I now prefer to have the pear shape that I despised and fought a losing battle against for decades.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    No, not much. Decades at a desk job have given me unsightly saddlebags. I can't get my thighs down to a size I like without losing too much weight overall. :/
  • paigereillymcguire
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    I used to think I had a "pear-shaped" figure. It turned out that I was just overweight. My body naturally became more of an "hourglass" shape after having lost the excess weight.

I found this to be the same for me