Calorie counting fruits and veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is very low so even those 300-400 calories of fruit and veggies a day are probably still giving you a deficit, but really, isn't it more beneficial to log everything and eat an appropriate amount of calories, so you have a better idea of how much you're actually eating? It's kinda the point of counting calories in the first place.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Everything is logged because all types of calories count. Otherwise what is the point of calorie counting?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cristareid wrote: »
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I am exercising by hiking/walking for 1 hour 30 minutes a day. Except weekends..but may incorporate yoga, or fitness classes.

A big part of my daily food intake are fruits and veggies. For example salad with cucumber, bell peppers, tomato, onion, cabbage, spinach. I also do fruit mixes with breakfast like a cup or two of watermelon, strawberries, and grapes.

I know some veggies and fruits can be high calorie like Avocado for example. I am wondering when I am doing salad and fruit if I should be adding it to my calories? Does anybody else do this?

Usually one cup of each is around 40-60 if I plug it in on here. Thanks!

Log everything. The one thing I do differently is I eyeball my leafy greens. Everything else gets weighed or measured.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I bet 1200 is too low for you as being too aggressive with weight loss can work against you.
  • phickman07
    phickman07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you are an X weight watcher as I am, I can understand why you would ask do you log fruits and veggies. WW when I was a member didn't count most fruits and vegetables, probably because they were trying to get you to eat more fruits and veg. and some people would skip the fruits and veg. because they wanted to save the calories, not a good idea. I am sure WW compensated for it some way hidden in there point program. Now I am logging everything.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Few questions:
    1. How tall are you? Only really short women actually need as low as 1200 calories to lose weight.
    2. What percentage of the calories you earned from walking do you eat back?
    3. How many pounds do you need to lose in order to reach your goal weight?

To use this app correctly, set a weekly weight goal appropriate for the weight you have to lose and learn what percentage of your exercise calories you should eat back. You will almost certainly get more than 1200 calories. And then do log your fruits and vegetables.
  • BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Agree with the above posters -- I log everything. Helps keep me accountable :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes log everything. This may be bad advice but just so you know I'm saying this as someone who is ok not being super accurate and ok with losing weight at a slower rate... Sometimes I just measure and weigh things once and then the other days of the week where I eat the same thing, I just guestimate when I'm putting it on my plate. To make it easier on myself. Weighing and measuring everything each and every time is very time consuming... At least for me it is. Maybe these other people are doing something I don't know.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Log it all!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    At home, I weigh log mostly everything. But if I'm mindlessly/less mindfully nibbling veggies, maybe not.

Example: I was at someone's house Saturday evening for a gathering with a guest speaker. She served light refreshments: bread, fruit, baked goods, veggies with hummus, and some tortilla chips and already-dressed/mayo-coated salads. I put some raw veggies on my plate with about a tablespoon of hummus, went back for more veggies to finish up some leftover hummus on my plate, and then grabbed some fruit. I logged the hummus, not the fruits and veggies. I couldn't weigh anything because... not my home. Also, calories were slight. Plus I walked to the event and home, which meant 40 minutes exercise and that wasn't the only walking I did that day. And I usually eat back half my exercise calories to give myself a buffer for "Maybe I didn't eyeball my portions accurately; 'Leisurely pace'=2.5 mph. Maybe I went 2.3? Maybe I went 2.9? Was I consistent throughout?"

End of the day, as accurate as I try to be, I'm not going to obsess over whether I ate 125 grams of cucumber instead of 80. I'm just going to figure that it's not an exact science, I'm doing pretty well, and so long as the weight is coming off, I don't need to be perfect.

If I ever hit a serious plateau (e.g. over a month), I know there are some spots I can tighten up if I have to.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I log everything but if I'm just putting a handful of lettuce in a taco, I estimate the amount of lettuce rather than weight it.
  • cristareid
    cristareid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Few questions:
    1. How tall are you? Only really short women actually need as low as 1200 calories to lose weight.
    2. What percentage of the calories you earned from walking do you eat back?
    3. How many pounds do you need to lose in order to reach your goal weight?

To use this app correctly, set a weekly weight goal appropriate for the weight you have to lose and learn what percentage of your exercise calories you should eat back. You will almost certainly get more than 1200 calories. And then do log your fruits and vegetables.

*I am almost 5'3" not really 5'2" lol
    *I am 125 pounds and I want to lose 10 pounds
    *I am not sure exactly the calories I earn, but based on my hike (5 days a week give or take) my fitness tracker says it is 3.8 miles. 9,505 steps. The altitude is 1321.29 ft. I assume on the lower calorie end it burns about 350 calories, but I feel like it is probably more but I worry i'll sabotage myself if I assume it is more.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I weigh my veggies because I aim to eat 450g of non-starchy veggies (about 1lb) each day.

I'm eating 150g (about 1/3 lb) right now, sauteed with salmon in a red-wine butter sauce. Earlier today I was pressed for time and just simply blended 150g in my BlendTec at breakfast and lunch.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    BTW I think you are underestimating your calorie needs, possibly by a lot.