Can't Sleep...anyone else?

I lost over 100 lbs. about a year and half ago, when going through the process I found myself only sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night, over the last few months I have gained about 40 lbs back, and I slept all night long. Now I am losing again, trying to get back to my goal weight and find myself looking at the clock for most of the night. Anybody else experienced this???

Replies

• jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Yep
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Take your vitamins, ensure you have a meal an hour before bed to make sure you are not too hungry. When I had my eating disorders I couldn't sleep of hunger and then when I began to recover, I would wake up in the middle of the night even when "healthily dieting". St. John's wort helps me sleep if I am having trouble with this.
  • YarnGoddess47
    YarnGoddess47 Posts: 11 Member
    Almost every night. It's like I'm nocturnal or something. I can go and go on not much sleep.
  • becky19_80
    becky19_80 Posts: 9 Member
    Yes just woke up its midnight and im starving
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Yeah, I only get a couple of hours deep sleep a night :disappointed:
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Have you tried melatonin? It helps most people.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Yes, I've had trouble falling asleep while in a deficit. I would recommend saving some calories for right before bed, especially if hunger is keeping you up. Eat something small, with tryptophan (eggs, milk, etc.) or melatonin (cherries) if possible. Avoid anything high fat if you get acid reflux and obviously anything with caffeine (chocolate, coffee, etc.). Sometimes I'll just have a couple crackers and that will satisfy me enough to get to sleep.

You might also try having chamomile tea before bed, to help to feel fuller and get to sleep.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    I have the worst insomnia sometimes. Figure out what "keeps you up". I've found that I absolutely can not sleep if I'm either too warm, or if I'm too hungry. I also need white noise. So to help me sleep I have an air filter for noise, I save calories in my budget for a pre bed snack, and I have a fan/ac for the summer.

I even bought a new bed.

I've read lots of articles on sleep, most just suggest making a pattern. If you REALLY can't sleep try getting up, doing something for 10 minutes, then laying back down and trying again.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Maybe you are hungry? Try budgeting for a small high-protein snack like some turkey lunch meat, a handful of nuts or cheese 30 minutes before bed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I lost over 100 lbs. about a year and half ago, when going through the process I found myself only sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night, over the last few months I have gained about 40 lbs back, and I slept all night long. Now I am losing again, trying to get back to my goal weight and find myself looking at the clock for most of the night. Anybody else experienced this???

When you lost the 100 pounds, how many pounds did you average losing a week? When people create too big a deficit, hunger often wakes them at night.

With 40 pounds to lose, a reasonable weekly weight loss goal for you would be a pound a week. Consider budgeting some of those calories for a bed time snack.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    When I was at my lowest weight I would only get 4 or 5 hours according to fitbit. After gain twenty pounds back now its about 7 hour a night. Funny that I never put the two together.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I guess I'm the oddball - I sleep worse when I eat a big meal before bed. The deficit doesn't bother me; in fact, evening exercise makes me drop into a sleep quickly.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    I think I have insomnia because I go to bed around 9 or 10 and I'm up at 4 to go to the gym. My problem is the fact that I always have a million things to do with my daughter and housework and my husband has selective vision (but I love him though) :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I guess I'm the oddball - I sleep worse when I eat a big meal before bed. The deficit doesn't bother me; in fact, evening exercise makes me drop into a sleep quickly.

I didn't see anyone recommending a big meal. Many of us were recommending a snack. To quantify mine, it's about 300 calories. I wouldn't want > 700 ish calories right before bed either.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    2wise4u wrote: »
    I think I have insomnia because I go to bed around 9 or 10 and I'm up at 4 to go to the gym. My problem is the fact that I always have a million things to do with my daughter and housework and my husband has selective vision (but I love him though) :smile:

You sleep 6 or 7 hours? Thats not insomnia, thats normal

I sleep less than 2 hours on a bad night and 5 hours on a good night but in broken chunks.

I have a daughter with a sleep disorder, she hardly sleeps at all. They tried her on melatonin and even on the highest dose she was still awake 5 hours later
  • WickedPineapple
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »

I didn't see anyone recommending a big meal. Many of us were recommending a snack. To quantify mine, it's about 300 calories. I wouldn't want > 700 ish calories right before bed either.

^ I definitely wouldn't recommend a whole meal. I usually go for 50-200 calories.
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Take your vitamins, ensure you have a meal an hour before bed to make sure you are not too hungry. When I had my eating disorders I couldn't sleep of hunger and then when I began to recover, I would wake up in the middle of the night even when "healthily dieting". St. John's wort helps me sleep if I am having trouble with this.

Just an aside as it isn't relevant to OP.

If taking any form of hormonal contraceptives, you should be careful about using St John's Wort as it's known to reduce effectiveness.

• unstoppable46532
    unstoppable46532 Posts: 6 Member
    I once went on an incredibly stupid diet that was very limited and VERY low calories. I had insomnia for months because I was not fueling properly and was basically starving myself. I went to see a TRUE dietitian who told me that I needed to bump up my caloric intake and be more balanced. She helped me put a healthy balance diet that would still create the caloric deficit I needed to lose weight. Best decision I've ever had and now I don't struggle near as much with sleep as before.
  • Rosyedwards
    Rosyedwards Posts: 1 Member
    Listening to the Liquid Mind station on Pandora puts me out in less than 5 minutes. Journaling before bed plus not drinking water has helped me. I read that water keeps you waking up to go pee and that was my issue.
  • WickedPineapple
    2wise4u wrote: »

You sleep 6 or 7 hours? Thats not insomnia, thats normal

I sleep less than 2 hours on a bad night and 5 hours on a good night but in broken chunks.

I have a daughter with a sleep disorder, she hardly sleeps at all. They tried her on melatonin and even on the highest dose she was still awake 5 hours later

Normal ≠ Healthy... I think something like 1/3 of people in the US are sleep deprived.

Also, 6 or 7 hours assuming she falls asleep right when she goes to bed. Even so, that's still not necessarily enough. It wouldn't be enough for me personally. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours for adults with 6 hours as a minimum or 10 hours a maximum being appropriate for some people. Getting enough quality sleep is arguably just as important for your health as exercise, nutrition, stress management, body fat %, etc.