how do you do your HIIT

Options
13»

Replies

• ParadigmShifter
    ParadigmShifter Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I do trail sprinting/walking. Lots of variety with the running up/down hills. I don't time it but once I feel my speed is decreasing significantly, I stop the "set". I walk and recover until I'm ready to go again. This may take 20 seconds or 3 minutes. It all depends on how I feel and when I can put forth a maximal effort.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    I love my HIIT , mine is an every other day kettle bell calisthenics , with reps of 20, 15,10,5 , my husband showed me this routine , and i feel in love <3 but i would like to mix it up , what is your fav. HIIT ?

Probably not HIIT.

This dose not answer the question i posted , this thread is meant to be helpful , inspirational , a fun way to share those things that make us all feel superhuman , so please leave awbs comments out of it , so , please enlighten us....how do you do your HIIT ? :p

With a HRM 30 seconds at target intensity 60 seconds at recovery intensity. Repeat.

Note, one round may take 5 minutes or longer. Do not exceed 10 rounds or 30 minutes... whichever comes first.

That's HIIT.

Must be just like that huh?

So 40 seconds at target intensity and 20 off must not be HIIT, neither is tabata?

I have actually asked a few diff. pros. since i started this thread ... any activity , 40 sec at 70 - 90 % max HR on, and 20 sec HR 60 - 65 % off , for 30 min. , as often as you can handle it , the idea is to have an oxygen debt , if you are getting headaches , back off a bit .

If you can handle it for 30 minutes, It's not HIIT. 70-90... isn't HIIT.. 85-100% is HIIT.

I'm not sure what a pros. is, but clearly they don't understand HIIT.

If' you're going to do 40/20 continuous, that's fine, but anything beyond 4-10 minutes you're doing steady state, not HIIT

According to what? You literally are just making stuff up. You could do 10 repeats at 1:00 minute on and 2:00 minutes off and get to 30 minutes and be doing HIIT. You are literally making up peramaters that don't exist. It is generally doing high intensity work (90% of your heart rate and up) and then recovering to about 60% of your heart rate max. Whether that takes you 2 minutes to recover or 30 seconds to recover depends on the person and the activity.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I can understand why many professional trainers are selling something that isn't quite HIIT, more like "Slightly higher than moderate Intensity Interval Training but for three times as long with a lot of variations." It's because it's really hard to charge someone money for a four to fifteen minute session of doing exactly one thing at two speeds. Most people can figure that out without the help of a trainer. I don't begrudge anyone trying to earn a living but wish they wouldn't confuse matters by calling what they're doing by a name that means something different.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    All out sprints for 120 yards up 4% incline. Walk it back and do the next. 5X. Well above the lactate threshold (based on the burning in my legs) and at HR of 90 to 95% max. In the winter I move it to stationary bike.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I love my HIIT , mine is an every other day kettle bell calisthenics , with reps of 20, 15,10,5 , my husband showed me this routine , and i feel in love <3 but i would like to mix it up , what is your fav. HIIT ?

Probably not HIIT.

This dose not answer the question i posted , this thread is meant to be helpful , inspirational , a fun way to share those things that make us all feel superhuman , so please leave awbs comments out of it , so , please enlighten us....how do you do your HIIT ? :p

With a HRM 30 seconds at target intensity 60 seconds at recovery intensity. Repeat.

Note, one round may take 5 minutes or longer. Do not exceed 10 rounds or 30 minutes... whichever comes first.

That's HIIT.

So 40 seconds at target intensity and 20 off must not be HIIT, neither is tabata?

I have actually asked a few diff. pros. since i started this thread ... any activity , 40 sec at 70 - 90 % max HR on, and 20 sec HR 60 - 65 % off , for 30 min. , as often as you can handle it , the idea is to have an oxygen debt , if you are getting headaches , back off a bit .

If you can handle it for 30 minutes, It's not HIIT. 70-90... isn't HIIT.. 85-100% is HIIT.

If' you're going to do 40/20 continuous, that's fine, but anything beyond 4-10 minutes you're doing steady state, not HIIT

According to what? You literally are just making stuff up. You could do 10 repeats at 1:00 minute on and 2:00 minutes off and get to 30 minutes and be doing HIIT. You are literally making up peramaters that don't exist. It is generally doing high intensity work (90% of your heart rate and up) and then recovering to about 60% of your heart rate max. Whether that takes you 2 minutes to recover or 30 seconds to recover depends on the person and the activity.

Guess you didn't read what I wrote... or what the previous person wrote.

40 seconds work at ~80% Max , followed by 20 seconds recovery at 60% Max Continuous isn't sustainable beyond 10 minutes... It simply isn't.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

40 seconds work at ~80% Max , followed by 20 seconds recovery at 60% Max Continuous isn't sustainable beyond 10 minutes... It simply isn't.

Why not? It's still the same heart rate.... If you have a pair you can continue to do that no problem. It's still the same level of intensity, not necessarily the same speed, but still the same intensity on the first as the last.

P.S. You and I both could hold 80% for 10 minutes straight, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because I'm pretty sure you meant to say 90% at the High Intensity level.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't do HIIT (like in reality most people don't actually do HIIT!) - but I do some maximal effort work and also do intervals from short duration right up to 10 minutes.

This trace from a 30 sec max power test shows why you can't use heartrate to gauge effort on short duration maximal effort bursts - your HR simply can't keep up. I only just got to 150bpm and that's miles away from my max HR even though I was "dying" as can be seen from my declining power.
    u4kgwp2lgxrq.png

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Fitness Blender.com
    Its free. Check out some of the cardio videos.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

Why not? It's still the same heart rate.... If you have a pair you can continue to do that no problem. It's still the same level of intensity, not necessarily the same speed, but still the same intensity on the first as the last.

P.S. You and I both could hold 80% for 10 minutes straight, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because I'm pretty sure you meant to say 90% at the High Intensity level.

Sure can. But that's steady state. Not interval.

Which is exactly what I said above.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

I pet my cat then I stop and have a glass of tea then I do a scratch the cat's ears interval then I make more

this a metaphor or a slip?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Every Tuesday I do a hill repeat workout. 5 minutes up the hill at 105 to 120 % FTP, coast back down, 4 to 5 times. Takes 30+ minutes total.

Seeing as how this is an interval workout, it's not steady state.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

I think there are two things he's getting at:

(1) A lot of people think they're doing HIIT when they're really doing something else (usually calisthenics) that's been sold to them as HIIT, the new miracle wonder cure for cancer obesity. When really HIIT is a specific type of workout that athletes have been using for many years.

(2) Higher intensities can be maintained for shorter time periods. That's why runners have a 5K pace and a marathon pace, they can run the shorter race faster because they don't have to keep the pace up as long. Cyclists have the concept of functional threshold power - it's the highest intensity you can maintain for an hour.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    According to some on this thread, true Tabata protocol at 170% VO2max isn't HIIT. I'd suggest they tell that to the oxygen deficit.

That said, intervals of many time vs intensity ranges are usefull and a great way to mix it up for many. But without some measure of power, highly subjective on the intensity side.

As to the OP's question, I mix it up from killer short Tabata protocol, down to longer and less intense intervals. I really don't consider it HIIT unless the intensity is 130-140% VO2max or higher.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Begrudgingly.

I HATE high intensity cardio, so when I throw in a few sessions, I make sure to do a Boot Camp/Tabata/Insanity Live class so that there's an instructor kicking my butt through it the whole time. It's the only type of exercise I truly loathe.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i prefer sprinting but i'm getting over a knee injury and horrible lung capacity. I've been working the HIIT in the pool via pool running. I basically do 15 seconds of all out high knees and 1 minute of slower treading to catch my breath.
  • lukemartiny
    lukemartiny Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    For HIIT I like to do 30 Min AMRAPS (As Many Rounds As Possible)

Chest to floor Burpees X 10
    Power Cleans (45kg) X 10
    Jumping Squats X 10
    Press ups X 10
    Dumbell Swings (13kg) X 5 Per Arm

Found this works best for me, usually do 9 sometimes 10 rounds.
  • amy_ross86
    amy_ross86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    naomillion wrote: »
    I follow the Hasfit channel with Coach K on YouTube, although I think half of the HIIT workouts are more circuit trainings. Still good though if you like using kettlebells and dumbells :smile: Enjoy!

I love hasfit!!!