Desk Job

Options
i try so hard to eat right or better. But I sit at a desk 80% of my day... there is candy & junk every where and I eat the most when I'm bored. Besides getting a faster paced job what could I eat to keep me full or just snack on that is healthy?

Replies

• fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I bought an under the desk bicycle and i pedal all day it helps a lot
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    popcorn, fruit, or just stick to serving sizes of office snacks that fit your daily calorie goals.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get a jar of almonds to snack on.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Why is there candy and junk? Do you bring it or do others? If it's your co-workers, is there a way to ask them (politely) to cut back a little or store it where it isn't so easy to reach for you?

It's the same here, we always have winegum and other small candy in the office. It used to be right next to my desk, so I'd stuff my face without noticing. Now it's all across the room and I go get a piece maybe once a week.

Also, bring healthier alternatives. If you really eat out of boredom, your body won't care if it's chocolate or cucumber. Just put a bowl of veggie snacks right next to you and you'll automatically reach for that.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Roasted edamame is really good! It has a satisfying crunch and lots of protein. I am lucky that we have treadmill workstations so I log 2-3 hours a day walking. I like the previous posters suggestion of an under desk bike. It would keep you occupied.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Get up and walk on your breaks.
    Pack snacks and your lunch.
    Search the feeds for "open diary" and start browsing.
    Google is also your friend.

Ill feed my tired and my bored more than anything else so I understand.
    You have to have will power because temptation will always be around. And some days we lose...the end. Tomorrow is another day.

But if you have any control over the food around you <like, in the break-room, your desk, cube mate, vending machine??- you didnt specify)...then start there. I keep a stash of snacks in my desk drawer - walk my breaks and plan my meals. You're in charge, remember? :) GOOD LUCK!
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bought an under the desk bicycle and i pedal all day it helps a lot

How much do those run?
    And how would you log that in the app to count for exercise??
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am also stuck at my desk all day for 9 hours a day. I pack all my food. I do leave some in my desk drawer but nothing too tempting. I bring cut up veggies that crunch so I'm getting that crunch that I like. I usually bring cut up bell peppers, baby carrots, and fruit. I also bring yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast. Occasionally I do eat food that is offered in the office but not too often.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have an office job too and it's always someone's birthday, or people bringing leftover goodies to the lunch room, or reps from our insurers coming in with stuff etc.
    I walk on my breaks and get 8-10K steps in a day before I leave my "sedentary" job. This is about choice not circumstance.
  • BaileyC36
    BaileyC36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    just keep some little snacks like dried fruits and nuts if you think you need a snack once in awhile, that are healthier or try to keep the other unhealthy stuff out of reach/view. 10+ feet away helps cut back the cravings. try and work it out so its out of sight, out of mind.
  • BaileyC36
    BaileyC36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are getting enough water, sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    twile7pc30g5.jpg

I work 12 hour shifts rotating from days to nights and this is my workspace and my gym as well. I do pushups, dips, jumping jacks, jump rope and all sorts of other crazy workouts. Get creative and don't be afraid to have people seeing you do it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I work a deskjob and it's definitely not an excuse!

I use my lunch break to go for a walk and listen to my audiobook - that's about 150-200 calories burnt right there.

You just need to NOT eat crap at work. Pack your own lunch, track your calories accurately. Set your TDEE to Sedentary and eat back 50% of the calories you burn through exercise. Fit some exercise into your daily routine to earn more calories to eat! Pre-log your day and just say 'no' to the breakroom junk.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Get a jar of almonds to snack on.

50g of almonds is 300 calories - nuts are not a great snacking food, they're super calorie-dense and easy to over-eat. I know this because I love almonds. And when I do want some, I pre-portion them into half serving sizes so I don't overdo it.

Safer snacks would be things like celery, carrots, cucumbers, pickles, berries, air-popped popcorn, etc. Especially for boredom eating - you don't wanna blow all your calories on almonds.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think the longer you count calories the easier it is to stay on track. I see my weight going down and it makes me want to keep going. People bring in donuts and crap at my office too. If I don't have room for them in my budget I just don't eat any, simple as that. Easier said than done, but I want to lose weight, so that's what needs to be done.

As for being active and getting steps during the day, I don't. I consider it a good day if I leave work in the evening with 3,000 steps. I do try to take my dog for a walk most nights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Desk jockey here...I brown bag my breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I make a point of getting up every hour to walk around a bit and then I make time in my day for deliberate exercise.

Snacks can vary from these little pre-packaged nut/cheese/dried fruit packs to cherries, etc...

I portion everything out and take it to work...I have what I have, and that's it.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you work in a building with stairs, start taking them. I work on the 12th floor so I don't take them all the way from top to bottom but I will use the restroom on another floor. When our treadmill workstation is out of order I try to get up every hour or two and walk a couple of floors.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to make myself log any free office food before eating it. It helps me to limit snacking to just a Kiss or other mini chocolate as an afternoon treat.

Yesterday, they had an impromptu ice cream social because it is hot outside. I was able to check the label on the ice cream and decided that, since it wasn't one of my favorite flavors, that it wasn't worth the calories.
  • kfizza1
    kfizza1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also have a 9-5 desk job and i'm sitting most of the time. I'm surrounded by chips, cookies, candy, brownies and other junk, but instead of those I snack on things like coffee, carrots, small salad, boiled egg, fat-free yogurt or fruits, along with lots of water. I always pack my snack items with lunch to keep myself from a junk-food binge, because sometimes you can lose your mind due to hunger and boredom. It takes planning and dedication.
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The office can be filled with so much temptation. At my old job they would always bring cake, donuts, and pizza. It was tempting especially if I forgot lunch that day. But by tracking what I eat throughout the day and bringing my own lunch and snacks, it helped me to ignore such things and stay focused on my goals. (To be healthy and not add more fat to my stomach.)

Some filling snacks you could try are peanut butter and celery, bananas, apples, unsalted cashews, light popcorn, blueberries, hummus and carrots, cheesestick, and or protein bites. It helps to mix and match veggies with protein and complex carbs to help get bulk and feel full. And if you are not already, make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day because your body may just be thirsty.

My biggest mistake in eating was not eating a balance of foods. I would just eat tons of one thing and not have diverse foods on my plate. By mixing in more veggies with whatever you are eating it helps you feel full.

One more thing, if you are bored at work it might be a good idea in looking at something that excites you more or find an activity you can do in your down time to stay busy and distracted. Write a letter to a friend, draw, research something your curious about, color, read, do something to keep your mind productive. When we zone out we do not realize what we are doing. It is like watching tv. Do not let it creep at you at work too.

Good luck and never give up hope. It takes many small steps for change to be noticeable. Be consistent. It took years to mess up our bodies, it is going to take time to heal them. :)